Think I'm buying a BMW too !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Not defecting to the dark side as such, but going to test drive a BMW M3 Convertible with SMG tomorrow, and if all goes well and the money works out right I might have it.

Mainly because the leased Golf goes back on the 10th, and the GF wont drive the CL or the Range Rover, which is no good when I've had a few pints :D plus we need a smaller car that will fit in her new flat parking spaces.

Excuses excuses!!

Will let you know the outcome... :rock:

I took one out a few days ago - wasn't impressed at all, really needs it's neck wringing to perform like the SL - left Cooper's BMW in the Merc with a smile on my face! Give the gf a slap and stick her in the RR :D

Maff, here's the place for you !

I just love the style and looks of the M3 convertible, one of our neighbours has just sold her yellow\gold coloured one and it looked the bee's knees.

Good luck with the decision.

John

M3 - An amazing addition to your past and current cars....now where do I begin? CL65 AMG, Range, CL55, CL500, SL350....I could be here all day !!!

Go for it mate !

No !! Engine sounds like a bag of spanners when you put your foot down. One dealer told me he made sure customers never heard one being rev'ed before they'd test driven it. Just listen next time one flies by.

Why not a CLK55 AMG Conv ?

Mambo said:
I should be on commission ;)

Isnt this a pyramid scheme .. do i get to cream off your commission on account i had one before you :p :D

saorbust said:
No !! Engine sounds like a bag of spanners when you put your foot down. One dealer told me he made sure customers never heard one being rev'ed before they'd test driven it. Just listen next time one flies by.

I quite liked it - but it does grate after a while. The 330Ci would be a much better bet for everyday use.

saorbust said:

They are pretty clattery (and that's coming from me!) but they do sound awesome when they are being hammered. A friend of mine used to own one and I drove it a couple of times, lovely car. SMG gearbox is fantastic!!

Good luck with it!!

stats007 said:
I quite liked it - but it does grate after a while. The 330Ci would be a much better bet for everyday use.

They are nice cars. I too would say go for a 330CI as well as supposed to be a close match to the M3 and as it is your g/firend's card (main user) will be fine for her... OK the 330 jas to be reved high to get it to move but so does the M3. Also. you will have spare change in your wallet too - some used ones are going for sensible money but I dont now what sort of deal you have been quoted on the M3 on lease.

How about an audi 3.0 TDI cab?

not as stupid as it sounds ...

m4 conv should start dropping money soon? with the new shape on the horizon? could pick one up at a very good price!

I dont like audi - my friends family are audi preachers and the cars spend a lot of time in the workshops! plus the leather in them is awful - does not age well.

mobeyone said:
I dont like audi - my friends family are audi preachers and the cars spend a lot of time in the workshops! plus the leather in them is awful - does not age well.
After a cursory read of Evo's group test this month (M3 CS, C55, RS4), it'd be the Audi RS4 that would be sitting on my drive :D

Well, test drive the M3 Conv. at it's not my cup of tea. If I were to put a price on it without knowing, i'd say £23k, not £32k.

The scuttle shake was very bad on the road I drove on, and the acceleration didn't feel that brutal, compared to the diesel golf (OK, not as much torque) in the mid range. Sounded 'interesting' but not a car I would want to use everyday. Think i'd still need another car if I bought one of those to do day to day things in!

Was a bit dissapointed, as I was ready to trade the RR in for it, but after the drive it really put me off. Maybe the coupe feels stronger and rigid, but so did the CLK Cab I had before feel stronger.

Off to see a CLK Cab and maybe a SLK55 if I can convince myself that thats not too small.

Thought about Audi but never really appealed to me.

I'll keep searching (and probably end up keeping the RR as M3 was the only car in mind)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom