Thinking about a CLS320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
Thinking of buying another MB. Always loved the shape of the CLS.

Any advice on a CLS320 CDI ? Things to look out for ?
I've had a 2010 C350CDI for a couple of years and an old E240 prior to that.

Any great advances with the CLS350CDI ?

Is the petrol CLS350 very thirsty ?

My main use is to make my daily commute bearable. I'll be doing about 15k miles a year. A shootingbrake would be idealm but they're out of my price range.

Budget is around £6500.

I'd steer clear of the 350 petrol due to balance shaft issues on pre 07 ish.

The 320 cdi won't be as quick as your c350 cdi or as nimble but it's the same engine so it won't be far off in terms of handling yet is more comfortable.

Plenty out there in your budget. I'd say go for it

I'd steer clear of the 350 petrol due to balance shaft issues on pre 07 ish.

The 320 cdi won't be as quick as your c350 cdi or as nimble but it's the same engine so it won't be far off in terms of handling yet is more comfortable.

Plenty out there in your budget. I'd say go for it

Thank you Gunning - exactly the info I need. I'll avoid the petrol 350 in that case.

I'm after somewhere comfortable and relaxing for commuting duties. The C350 was poor in that respect. The suspension was oversprung and overdamped, in a bid to make it feel sporty. The best aspect of the car is the engine, gearbox and brakes.

I've seen a CLS500 in the classifieds and noticed you have one too. What's that like on fuel ? I suspect I'm better off with the 320 CDI ...

6cyl said:
Thank you Gunning - exactly the info I need. I'll avoid the petrol 350 in that case. I'm after somewhere comfortable and relaxing for commuting duties. The C350 was poor in that respect. The suspension was oversprung and overdamped, in a bid to make it feel sporty. The best aspect of the car is the engine, gearbox and brakes. I've seen a CLS500 in the classifieds and noticed you have one too. What's that like on fuel ? I suspect I'm better off with the 320 CDI ...

I prefer the cls with airmatic suspension and won't buy one without it. It's a reliable air suspension system too. It can offer 3 noticeably different ride height and settings in comfort and sports. I'm on my third cls and all have had air suspension.

I like the 500 as it suits the car, bit of power, v8 petrol, not bad on fuel. A good all rounder. After having the 320 and the 500 both as daily drivers. I'd go for the 500.

If you're sensible you can see close to 30mpg (some claim more but I haven't seen it)

Even with my very heavy foot on the round trip to goodwood yesterday I still returned 21.8mpg

Please remember this is a forum with volunteers who give up their time to help others for free.

Not a paid-for service with a service level agreement which must be met.

I have a 2007 CLS 320 CDI, it is a fabulous car and an absolute joy to drive. I find the diesel engine provides endless grunt and it cruises at any speed effortlessly while if you drop the suspension and switch it to the sports mode she flies. I have had zero mechanical issues over the last 2 years and she drives well on both short and long haul journeys around Europe.
Sorry I don't have any experience with the petrol versions of the car (although I have had petrol mercs in the past) - this is my first diesel merc and it has been a revelation.

I think the CLS is a seriously under valued car that gives massive bang for the few bucks you have to shell out to get one.

Raymon Heath said:
I have a 2007 CLS 320 CDI, it is a fabulous car and an absolute joy to drive. I find the diesel engine provides endless grunt and it cruises at any speed effortlessly while if you drop the suspension and switch it to the sports mode she flies. I have had zero mechanical issues over the last 2 years and she drives well on both short and long haul journeys around Europe. Sorry I don't have any experience with the petrol versions of the car (although I have had petrol mercs in the past) - this is my first diesel merc and it has been a revelation. I think the CLS is a seriously under valued car that gives massive bang for the few bucks you have to shell out to get one.

I do agree with you, it's got great grunt the diesel. Also for serious long haul trips the fuel saving will be well worth it! Certainly not an engine to be sniffed at.

Went to see a CLS320 CDI today. it was a 2008 in dark grey, 75k miles, facelift for £7300.

Paint work was awful, lacquer flaking and paint missing in too many places. A couple of panels had seen paint. Interior was quite scratched up. Looked unloved and dare I say it probably used as a school run car, as I found tictacs in the 12v sockets in the rear. All four wheels needed attention, 2 budget unmatched tyres.

Shutlines look fine, doors shut well. Seats in as new condition. Boot area looked ok.

Didn't bother driving it.

Last edited:
Went to see a CLS320 CDI today. it was a 2008 in dark grey, 75k miles, facelift for £7300.

Paint work was awful, lacquer flaking and paint missing in too many places. A couple of panels had seen paint. Interior was quite scratched up. Looked unloved and dare I say it probably used as a school run car, as I found tictacs in the 12v sockets in the rear. All four wheels needed attention, 2 budget unmatched tyres.

Shutlines look fine, doors shut well. Seats in as new condition. Boot area looked ok.

Didn't bother driving it.

My CLS320 CDI will be appearing on someone's website before long. Just over 60k miles and every option on the list added. I'd happily have sold it to anyone, as it was such a good 'un. If I see it online, I'll add a link on here. The only reason I traded it in is because we were going to one car and the new one parks itself, which Mrs JDR finds easier. They are great cars. Worth holding out for a good one.

Many CLS 320 seem to be budget spec, a couple of years ago I was looking at CLS55K, nearly all of them had the nice to haves like airmatic, ventilated seats. Harmon Kardon etc

Quite a few 320 don't even have xenon lights before 2008.

I don't mind travelling if I can be reasonably sure that the car is in a good state. One person's opinion of good condition can be very different to others.

A link will be great, thanks jdrrco.

Another reason I'm finding it difficult to find the right one is that I'm trying to avoid iridium silver and black, those two colours probably account for over 75% of CLS.

Found a few mk1 CLS 350 CDI, so slightly newer engine from the same year E and C class. Also found a few that are flagged up as being clocked using the MOT history checker.

I haven't found many with the airmatic though.

How can I tell whether a CLS has halogen of HID lights ?

My CLS320 CDI will be appearing on someone's website before long. Just over 60k miles and every option on the list added. I'd happily have sold it to anyone, as it was such a good 'un. If I see it online, I'll add a link on here. The only reason I traded it in is because we were going to one car and the new one parks itself, which Mrs JDR finds easier. They are great cars. Worth holding out for a good one.

And here it is...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707057095095

A few blatant lies in their description but a great car nevertheless.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link JDRRCO. It's not short on options !
That would be ideal, but more than I'd prefer to spend at this time.

Thanks for the link JDRRCO. It's not short on options !
That would be ideal, but more than I'd prefer to spend at this time.

Try to negotiate? My guess is they paid £8k for it, tops. Purely a guesstimate you understand...

Last edited:
thank you Mr JDRRCO.
I'll need to pay them a visit, ask loads of questions, drink their coffee and negotiate ...

That is really lovely, Strong price, But a very nice example with low miles

JDRRCO - do you remember if the 7g tronic gearbox service was done around 45k miles ? Probably before you had the car.

I've contacted the seller and quizzed him on the car. It's picked up a scuff on the rear bumper apparently, but he wasn't sure about the gearbox service.

I haven't found many with the airmatic though.

You won't, expensive option.

How can I tell whether a CLS has halogen of HID lights ?

It'll have a headlight level dial under the light switch, again you won't find many with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom