Thinking of a 207 Convertible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanWilts

Car
prospective owner
Considering a 207 convertible, maybe the 4 pot petrol turbo. If I buy the entry level 14 bhp, can I upgrade the engine to the higher powered unit? Bigger turbo or different mapping?
Any advise would be helpful
Cheers
Alan

That kind of a forum is it?...I guess I could always paint a thee pointed star over the lion.

So now I've seen my typo...I'm referring to the 184 bhp 2.0L engine in a E class 207 model convertible.

Any suggestions??...perhaps of a more helpful nature?

That kind of a forum is it?...I guess I could always paint a thee pointed star over the lion.

So now I've seen my typo...I'm referring to the 184 bhp 2.0L engine in a E class 207 model convertible.

Dry your eyes m8. You'll get used to it . Its just banter .... Happy Saturday 😊Screenshot_20210410-081337_Gallery.jpg

The A207 (E-Class convertible) is based on the W204 (C-Class Saloon) so it's actually a very agile convertible. If buying 4-cyl petrol, avoid the M271 engine, unless very low mileage and FSH. Later cars had the M274 engine which is fine, apart from potential (costly) thermostat issue, so check that the car goes up to temp (80+) quickly and stays there.

Apologies for any offence that may have been caused, that was the level of my humour at quater past 10 on a Friday night shift. It tickled me at the time anyway.

As for the E-Class convertible you actually asked about, You're in one of the best places to get advice, when the right people come along, as per the response above.

If you can, just get the bigger engine from the outset
All turbo's engines can be remapped, but if you can find a 250, that's a good 4 pot to go with.

A V6 would of course be better.....

Remapping is all you need to do on a modern engine without touching other components, but most convertibles are not about pace, but more about grace (though I did have a mapped Saab 93 for 5 years....😀)

Specific car in your sights?

I have one but it's the diesel 250 version, but I still like it. Great mpg and very refined at cruising speeds.
What do you need to know ?
image.jpeg

Apologies for any offence that may have been caused, that was the level of my humour at quater past 10 on a Friday night shift. It tickled me at the time anyway.

As for the E-Class convertible you actually asked about, You're in one of the best places to get advice, when the right people come along, as per the response above.
Hi Thanks for your reply......taken in good spirits

If you can, just get the bigger engine from the outset
All turbo's engines can be remapped, but if you can find a 250, that's a good 4 pot to go with.

A V6 would of course be better.....

Remapping is all you need to do on a modern engine without touching other components, but most convertibles are not about pace, but more about grace (though I did have a mapped Saab 93 for 5 years....😀)

Specific car in your sights?
Thanks for your help, whilst very happy to experience grace over pace, with convertibles being that much heavier over coupes/saloons, I dont want to feel I have to wring the engine's neck to get anywhere, hence my concern over the 4 pots. I will try to test drive the petrol 250 and the v6's also.

How is 184 bhp not enough?(in any car)

Sierra cosworths only had 200 bhp and they were/are a performance car.

Cavalier sri130 was a big car with 130bhp and no one complained they were sluggish.

Any modern car with 150+bhp is more than fast/powerful enough.

But if you want power get the biggest engine.

I currently have a c250d cabrio(204bhp...cosworth power) and it has more power than is needed.....I came down from the 5.5bi turbo sl63 so I know about power.

Simple answer is you don't need it, especially in a cabrio.

If you want it....go large.

I own a C250d estate but I can vouch for the power, its nice.. For a diesel it has a very nice way of getting you down the road at a pace and no problem for the odd overtake...I often find myself going faster than the usual pace of traffic without trying and have to back off a bit..

I would recommend trying one..

Not sure if the extra weight of the Cabrio roof etc would make that much difference. probably not.

Considering a 207 convertible, maybe the 4 pot petrol turbo. If I buy the entry level 14 bhp, can I upgrade the engine to the higher powered unit? Bigger turbo or different mapping?
Any advise would be helpful
Cheers
Alan
If you are thinking now about upgrading to a higher powered engine I would suggest you start off with higher powered engine.

I had a 2011 A207 E350 Diesel which after a 2.0l MX5 felt smooth and powerful enough. They are plentiful and easy to find.

I now have a 2015 E400 which is the 3.5l version and to me this is even better. Mainly due to the engine performance and updates to car.

I am retired so mileage is low and the car is used mostly on dry days.

My wife has a 2015 C220 and although adequate, I much prefer to drive the 400 as it is a lot more fun ( I enjoy driving).

I think if I was to change I would consider a C300 convertible.

With the E350 & E400 I had problems with NOX sensors (4 on the E400) and corroded brake pipes on the E350.

Feel free to ask anything about the A207.

Take Care
David

Do you have any particular age range in mind?

My E250 has a top speed of around 150mph and returns average of 46 mpg according to stats I just looked up, if that’s correct then you won’t go far wrong,
I used to have a BMW 325 petrol convertible that was smooth as silk but got fed up doing 25 mpg when the novelty had worn off.

Hi. Thanks for all your replies, I was not expecting too much performance from the 4 pot motors, as I have read that the convertible weighs in between 1700-2000 kgs depending on the engine (I guess)..and that a lot of car to get down the road. I will be looking at the pre- face lift models so 2010-2013.
I'm test driving a E250 petrol tomorrow!

The cabriolets are only 25kg heavier than the coupés on kerb weight.

There was an update approx 2011, minor changes to the the facia, possibly same time as stop/start and revised 7g+ gearbox introduced. Identified by straight DRLs in place of earlier hockey-stick shape on Sport models (or twin circular lights on the SE model).

There were numerous problems with the piezo injectors (4-cylinder petrols) when first introduced on the BlueTec models but any problems should have been sorted a long time ago.

Petrol 350 V6s are fairly thin on the ground, but have about 50% more bhp than the 250 (304 v. 204 bhp). There is, of course, the earlier 5.5V8 or the later V8 4.7 TT, although there were only a handful of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom