Thinking of a 207 Convertible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Re the above, it was the 4-cyl diesels, of course, with the injector problems, not the petrols ;)

(can't edit the original entry)

Test drove a petrol E250 today, was pleasantly surprised at its turn of speed/pick up rate etc. Everything worked well but the body/interior a little shabby.
For instance the handles mounted on the seats to tip the backrest forward are in chrome, but plated on plastic. On both seats the chrome handles were worn away...I'm guessing caused by peoples rings etc. Question..is it common for these handles to wear, and are they easy /economical to replace?

How many have you looked at?

I'm only asking as I've had my 350 coupé for 8 years (from new) and the interior is still as new; I haven't looked at any others since I bought it, so can't comment as to how they generally wear. What I do know from other MBs is that the Artico (artificial) leather (std on Sport models) doesn't wear as well as genuine leather (mine), in my experience. It can split, particularly on seat bolsters.

Was the one you drove a facelifted facia one? (I think the steering wheel with 'silver' inset on spokes was introduced at same time, earlier wheel all one colour?)

Test drove a petrol E250 today, was pleasantly surprised at its turn of speed/pick up rate etc. Everything worked well but the body/interior a little shabby.
For instance the handles mounted on the seats to tip the backrest forward are in chrome, but plated on plastic. On both seats the chrome handles were worn away...I'm guessing caused by peoples rings etc. Question..is it common for these handles to wear, and are they easy /economical to replace?
I wouldn't have thought that it is common for the chrome to wear. As with tonysmb, my interior, on an 82k mile 2012 car, is virtually unmarked.

Mine is unmarked also, apart from the crappy artico “leather” on the drivers seat bolster, that has a very slight split at 44,000 miles.

With reference to the chrome on the rear seat release handles, my first E Class cab suffered the same problem as you found. Peeling and very sharp edges. They do feel very cheap and the chrome is a quick thin flash.
My second facelift cab rear seat handles are OK at the moment.

How many have you looked at?

I'm only asking as I've had my 350 coupé for 8 years (from new) and the interior is still as new; I haven't looked at any others since I bought it, so can't comment as to how they generally wear. What I do know from other MBs is that the Artico (artificial) leather (std on Sport models) doesn't wear as well as genuine leather (mine), in my experience. It can split, particularly on seat bolsters.

Was the one you drove a facelifted facia one? (I think the steering wheel with 'silver' inset on spokes was introduced at same time, earlier wheel all one colour?)
Its my first to look at... the steering wheel has the chrome/silver inserts, the car is on a 61 plate..thanks

Very interested in this and other related treads.

Looking at purchasing a w207 as a main run around (expected usage will be c, 20,000 miles per year) and researching the in's and out's about this car.

Going to test drive a 2012 e350 petrol tomorrow

Going to test drive a 2012 e350 petrol tomorrow
Hi , not meaning to be a kill joy please check what engine is in the car.Your proposed car could be a fitted with the Mercedes M272 petrol engine that have had issues the the balance shafts.

If the engine is a M276 engine make sure that the timing chain have been checked.

All to do with engine numbers.

I would also make sure that the car has a good service history.

Look at last MOT for any advisories.

I spent £20.00 to buy 5 car checks ( best money I have spent )

Tyres are not cheap / make sure premium tyres are on the car.

Make sure all the electrics work.

and now the good news , they are really great car to drive but remember a Mercedes is all about quality and sometimes does cost.

Go and inspect the car with your eyes open.

I really hope the car is all good for you.

Hi Boyband,

Thanks for your points....re the engine, I thought I read the M272 issues were in units prior to 2009?

I must admit, because of that I didnt check! here is the picture of the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom