Thinking of a CLS....info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL300-24

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1984 500SL, 2007 E320 CDI Sport Estate, 1995 SL320 R129
I love my E320 CDI but after 3 years I am fancying a change and may put it up for sale.

I was thinking of replacing it with a CLS. Must be Obsidian Black, and probably a 320CDI again. As I only do about 5k per year maybe a petrol would be better, not sure yet.

I would prefer a light (cream/pebble) interior with black wood.

Probably a 2005 or 2006 model. Budget under 20k

What do you think? Do you like the CLS?

What comes as standard?

What toys should it have, command, telephone etc.

I do not think that I have seen one with a glass roof? Do they come with these?

I saw a very nice CLS over the weekend in freshly polished Black.

God, it looked good enough to eat.

What and how many toys you have depends on how deep your pockets are, but certainly COMAND and parktronic as a minimum.

Some cars certainly look better in certain colours and the CLS certainly does look a beast in black. Specially if fitted with a nice set of wheels as the cherry on the cake.

320 is the one to go for with plenty of choice as well. So haggle.

Look good, surprised how fast they have depreciated over the last 12 months or so. Looks like 20k buys a lot of CLS now - but then 20k buys a lot of anything - like an SL350.

If doing 6k miles/yr a CLS500 would be a viable option. I think they have been reliable enough as they are 211 based but brought out after the 211 bugs were ironed out. £for£ the E class offers more though...(but I would say that as I've got one)

Keep an eye on auctions Ray. 2004 CLS55 AMG 60k miles FMBSH £14k recently.

There seem to quite a lot sitting around dealer forecourts. Perhaps an indication they are not everyone's taste when the time comes to move them on?:confused:

CLS63 AMG at Auction this morning.... 36k.

Not much point buying the diesel with that sort of mileage.

Saw A CLS500 that was absolutely loaded, done 33,000 Miles and Full MB History (worried if it didnt) at the auction that went through for £19,750, the dealer who bought it then had it up for £24,995 which is a bit strong, but sold it for £23,000.

I would love to, absolutely LOVE to have a CLS but cant justify the outlay because of the depreciation. Being a dealer I usually run my motors for 2 years or so and then sell them for what I bought them for when they effectively owe me nothing.

Looks a really nice car. Mileage is a bit high but if you plan to keep it a few years that will level out if you're only doing 5-6k per year.

I was going to warn that the 19" alloys would give you a harsh ride but then I notice the car has Airmatic (though the ad calls it self levelling suspension) so it shouldn't be a problem.

As you seem to have worked out for yourself, there is no advantage in going for the diesel if you are only doing a low mileage. Mind you the overtaking ability of the 320CDI will be better than a 350 so the 500 should be the petrol engine of choice (unless you can afford the 55AMG of course :D ).

There seem to quite a lot sitting around dealer forecourts. Perhaps an indication they are not everyone's taste when the time comes to move them on?:confused:

I think perhaps oversupply - there seem to be a lot on fleet. Just about every CLS that I've seen is a 320CDI in black... my neighbour has one!

I love my E320 CDI but after 3 years I am fancying a change and may put it up for sale.

I was thinking of replacing it with a CLS. Must be Obsidian Black, and probably a 320CDI again. As I only do about 5k per year maybe a petrol would be better, not sure yet.

I would prefer a light (cream/pebble) interior with black wood.

Probably a 2005 or 2006 model. Budget under 20k

What do you think? Do you like the CLS?

What comes as standard?

What toys should it have, command, telephone etc.

I do not think that I have seen one with a glass roof? Do they come with these?

Hello mate
I am looking for a CLS too, though I am after a diesel. I am looking to find out whats coming up at the mercedes auction at Colchester on Thursday.I know they have 9 up but only 3 are diesels. The dealers mainly buy from the auctions then mark up by £4000. If your looking to buy from a dealer Scotland seems to have some good deals though you have to fetch it.

Cheers
Ian

Sorry the count at the auction on Thursday is 12 now.
CLS350 X 6
CLS320CDI X 3
CLS500 X 2
CLS55 X 1

I would still go for the 320 over the 500. If only to retain a reasonable value come trade-in time. The 320 has more than enough grunt and still returns mid to high 30's MPG. I would hate to imagine what the urban cycle of a 500 would be. Another point worthy of consideration is VED. If possible I would always avoid a car in the top band. Again purely on resale value - nothing else.
That black CLS did look nice however and I can easily understand the heart overuling the head when making your decision to purchase.

Like you guys I love the look of the CLS and they represent serious value. I can only assume their value represents the perceived impracticality of a large 4 seater car as I can see anything else going against them?

It's a great car and certainly different when compared with anything else out there. I traded from a CLK55 to mine early last year and although if I had to be honest I'd rather have the CLK55, it is a great compromise in terms of ooomph vs fuel consumption (I was doing a lot of business miles at the time).

I'm now considering trading mine in as we have another baby due imminently and I could really do with a little more space - mainly from a getting baby in and out point of view. I now only do 12 miles to and from work since I changed my job last year, so will probably end up with a "run about" for me to go to work and back, and a family motor to replace the CLS.

If I had to insist on one option for this car it would be Parktronic. Don't leave home without it!!!

Thanks for the comments guys. I think that I will hang out for a 320 CDI with all the toys.

hey guys,

im selling my cls 350, please check it out.

Advertising NOT ALLOWED.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom