Thinking of a W212 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cactussed

Car
BMW M3
Hi chaps

I'm new to the forum and MB in general.
Looking to ditch our X5 (no longer need 7 seats) and get into a W212 facelift E63 wagon.

Where's best place to look, other than ebay, autotrader and Pistonheads?

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, Autotrader is the best place to search for an S212 E63.

You'll see a wider mix of cars in better condition / lower mileage than on Pistonheads or EBay.

It's an S212 because it's a stationwagon, rather than a W212 which is the saloon shape.

It'll handle very differently to your X5 for sure, and obviously more luggage area in the boot and with the rear seats down.

Fuel consumption? Well that'll depend on your current X5.

e63.jpeg

Thanks for that. Assuming that's your car, it looks lovely! S212 it is then!
I saw a lovely looking black one (V8 YAW was the plate) but sadly wasn't in a position to buy at the time.

What are the options worth looking for?

Save some £ and go for something far superior, the 212 amg engine is bland, the car awkward to view, heavy and huge.

LOL....yeah those 525/550 horse engines with massive torque and flexibility in both 5.5 TT and 6.2 NA are known throughout the Mercedes world as bland and boring!!! NOT! As good as the 202 was/is its pretty antiquated and dated (both technically and looks wise both inside and out) in comparison to the 212.....Unless I've missed something and you are here for a little comedic trolling!!

Save some £ and go for something far superior, the 212 amg engine is bland, the car awkward to view, heavy and huge.

Good try Slim. I nearly bit.;)

OP, take no notice of Mr Dinosaur. He still thinks the M156 is only engine worth having.:D
The M157 in the 5.5 Biturbo is a great engine with huge torque and power from low revs.

It's a waiting game, sometimes there aren't many up. Be patient, check the regular sites often and move quickly on a good one because it will go fast. Don't buy a lemon. 😀

Good luck. They're amazing cars

LOL....yeah those 525/550 horse engines with massive torque and flexibility in both 5.5 TT and 6.2 NA are known throughout the Mercedes world as bland and boring!!! NOT! As good as the 202 was/is its pretty antiquated and dated (both technically and looks wise both inside and out) in comparison to the 212.....Unless I've missed something and you are here for a little comedic trolling!!
Bland = m157

This had been done to death on here and does not need to be gone over again......my opinion, just so you know (having driven a few of each recently) is that the 156 sounds best and I love the way it revs......but the extra low down torque of the 157 really takes some beating. The sound of the 157 is very good too....just different. The 157 is also much newer tech, way more tunable and probably.more reliable when stock. The 6.2 produces it's 630 nm of torque at a high 5300 rpm...where as the 5.5 makes its 70 extra nm not far off idle at just 1750 revs.....so bearing in mind it's torque you feel when you poke the throttle (not horsepower) once it's over 1750 rpm the 5.5 is way more responsive. It's certainly not bland in any way.....unless you are too close minded (or have not driven one!) to be open to the possibility. All that said if the right car I find had the 6.2 I would buy it....I love them both.....but two identical cars, one with each engine.....as a drivers car the 5.5 JUST edges it for me. Now can we stop having the 6.2 vs 5.5 debate in every E63 thread please...thank you!

Hi chaps

I'm new to the forum and MB in general.
Looking to ditch our X5 (no longer need 7 seats) and get into a W212 facelift E63 wagon.

Where's best place to look, other than ebay, autotrader and Pistonheads?
I think you have mentioned the main websites, but I would periodically check the Mercedes-Benz UK website too - older AMG do occasionally pop up and in a few cases have been really good value compared to independent traders, which isn’t usually the case with newer models.

Good luck with your search, the model you’re looking for has a good reputation, and for good reason.

Now can we stop having the 6.2 vs 5.5 debate in every E63 thread please...thank you!
Good luck with that request!

I drive a C63S with the M177 - if you listen to a certain subset of members on this forum, I (and all the other owners who own one) may as well kill ourselves because its apparently such a terrible, bland, boring, soulless, <insert any derogatory statement here> car/engine combination.

Not sure why it happens, but there you go. I think all the V8 equipped cars sound incredible, but I settled on mine because I wanted a modern AMG with a modern engine and tech combo and also something I could PCP.

Chaps, was DAB radio standard on the facelift?
I think so yes. Not sure I've seen one without, put it that way.

The facelifted E63 comes very well optioned to start with, but 360 camera and dynamic seats are two I would look for.
These are what I wanted, but I have neither in mine! Not all that many have both so it does really limit your options. 360 camera is nice but they have front and rear sensors anyway so not essential in my opinion. I do wish I had the dynamic seats though... everyone says they're great and not just a gimmick!

It's a waiting game, sometimes there aren't many up. Be patient, check the regular sites often and move quickly on a good one because it will go fast. Don't buy a lemon. 😀

Good luck. They're amazing cars
This is very true. Patience isn't a virtue I possess much of so I bought one without the options I wanted and in a colour I said I'd never get again, because it was great value. I don't regret it; I don't think you can go wrong with these cars so long as they're in good condition with good service history, they're great cars and pretty well specced even without options (for their age).

Good luck with the hunt 👍

These are what I wanted, but I have neither in mine! Not all that many have both so it does really limit your options. 360 camera is nice but they have front and rear sensors anyway so not essential in my opinion. I do wish I had the dynamic seats though... everyone says they're great and not just a gimmick!

I have the 360 camera and find, along with the parking sensors, that parking is made very easy. I had the dynamic seats in the E55 and they are very nice. It's an option I would have liked but if you hold out for everything you'd like you might be waiting forever.
Distronic is supposed be a handy option, but I've never had it so don't miss it;)
I've never used Parking assist or Race Start on mine yet either.

if you listen to a certain subset of members on this forum, I (and all the other owners who own one) may as well kill ourselves because its apparently such a terrible, bland, boring, soulless, <insert any derogatory statement here> car/engine combination.

Not sure why it happens, but there you go. I think all the V8 equipped cars sound incredible, but I settled on mine because I wanted a modern AMG with a modern engine and tech combo and also something I could PCP.
It’s a really strange dynamic, there’s something about the M156 engine and W204 platform which seems to prompt some drivers to shout loudly about how brilliant it is, and even put down other engines/platforms for no apparent reason.

I can’t think of any other engine/platform combination from Mercedes or any other manufacturer which has the same effect. In fact M177/8 and M157 drivers regularly say that the M156 is a great engine. I can’t put my finger on why there’s a difference.

In business, sport, academia, or anything else, the best really don’t need to shout about it, and they definitely don’t need to put others down either (not even for “bants”). They let their performance, reputation and others do the talking.

Vive la difference.

And I agree they’re all great engines, all sound great in their own way, and all with their own pros and cons, so much so if I was lucky enough to be looking to buy one then I don’t know which I would choose.

But what do I know, I don’t even have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom