Thinking of a W212 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a thread on PistonHeads where someone managed to get a German one for an SL - ie a "tow bar" designed specifically for a bike carrier not for towing.

Surely won't touch a turbo S, but interested to hear.....
We had a 50mph rolling start on a very quiet autobahn - both in the sportiest setting & by the time we hit 180mph (in sixth i might add) the E63 wasn't demolished - a few car lengths in it but considering my car was £60k cheaper than his Turbo S i was quite pleased.
180mph was the quickest i could manage safely as traffic comes up extremely quickly - really wanted an other run but it didn't happen, had i shifted to 7th i think 190mph-200mph was a distinct possibility.
Going back again in August so will hopefully get another chance.

We had a 50mph rolling start on a very quiet autobahn - both in the sportiest setting & by the time we hit 180mph (in sixth i might add) the E63 wasn't demolished - a few car lengths in it but considering my car was £60k cheaper than his Turbo S i was quite pleased.
180mph was the quickest i could manage safely as traffic comes up extremely quickly - really wanted an other run but it didn't happen, had i shifted to 7th i think 190mph-200mph was a distinct possibility.
Going back again in August so will hopefully get another chance.
You mapped ?

The pre-facelift with the Performance Package has the speed limiter raised to 184 mph, and it will get there (I'm told...;)).

My SLK, also with the Performance Package, has it raised to 174 mph. It will get there too (but I never will; I'm getting old...☹️)

The pre-facelift with the Performance Package has the speed limiter raised to 184 mph, and it will get there (I'm told...;)).

My SLK, also with the Performance Package, has it raised to 174 mph. It will get there too (but I never will; I'm getting old...☹️)
Angie’s SLK55 is just the cooking model, not the PP, but I reckon it’s faster accelerating from (say) 120mph than my pre-facelift PPP E63 was. Frontal area makes a big difference at that sort of speed.

The PP only adds an LSD, AMG Suspension (I'm not sure how that differs from the standard on the SLK55, but they charged extra for it, so it must do) and a poncy steering wheel. There's no power increase.

That said, the P.O. had the engine and gearbox ECUs 'optimised' (not remapped) on the dyno at DMS Southampton. He recalls it was only making about 405 bhp before, but 435 after.

I'm in south Bucks, near Beaconsfield, if you want to come down and see how it compares to your standard car. Throttle response is hair-trigger sharp, and gearshifts are almost instantaneous, too. Car & Driver in the USA claim to have got the standard version to 60 in 4.1 seconds, and the accepted W212 E63 pre-facelift PPP time to 62 seems to be 4.1 seconds also, so there's not much in it. It's ferkin' quick, and I like it a lot...

Last edited:
The PP only adds an LSD, AMG Suspension (I'm not sure how that differs from the standard on the SLK55, but they charged extra for it, so it must do) and a poncy steering wheel. There's no power increase.

That said, the P.O. had the engine and gearbox ECUs 'optimised' (not remapped) on the dyno at DMS Southampton. He recalls it was only making about 405 bhp before, but 435 after.

I'm in south Bucks, near Beaconsfield, if you want to come down and see how it compares to your standard car. Throttle response is hair-trigger sharp, and gearshifts are almost instantaneous, too. Car & Driver in the USA claim to have got the standard version to 60 in 4.1 seconds, and the accepted W212 E63 pre-facelift PPP time to 62 seems to be 4.1 seconds also, so there's not much in it. It's ferkin' quick, and I like it a lot...
Ha! I'm in Hazlemere!
Have agreed a deal on a car, collecting today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom