Thinking of a W212 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guys, have any of you managed to fit 4 bikes on the roof? I'm gathering that a towbar isn't going to fly.

Guys, have any of you managed to fit 4 bikes on the roof? I'm gathering that a towbar isn't going to fly.
Yes, 4 full size mountain bikes do fit - it's tight but assuming they're loaded head to toe you'll be fine - i've been on a few long trips fully loaded with bikes & family with no issues (other than the wind noise being extremely loud if you open the roof)

Would love a tow bar (for bike carrier) on my car, but all my research has told me no way, so roofracks it is. Friend of mine managed to get a tow bar for his RS6, as long as it was used for a bike carrier only; believe the same is available for an M5 (F10), so a bit frustrating that you can't get one for an E63.

Well, I've had the OK from my insurer on the towbar (AIB Insurance). Just need to buy a car now...

Well, I've had the OK from my insurer on the towbar (AIB Insurance). Just need to buy a car now...
Good news on the insurance - let us know if you find someone to fit one - I've tried a few places, always got a no. That's on top of the online checkers where it's 'computer says no'

towbar....on an E63..... :oops: :oops:
E63 212 are not type approved for towbars....so that's a definite no go even if you could find someone to fit it. My wife's last SLK was also not allowed a tow bar....even for the rubbish trailer!

They're not type approved for towing. I specified bike rack only which the insurer is fine with. The chassis is identical between non and AMG so fitting isn't a biggie. Nor is 7 pin electrical socket.

The towbar company should not even fit one on a non approved car......your insurance is mistaken to say it's ok. Might be a different story if you have a claim

From the towing guide at my work...
"Because the car needs to be type approved to fit a towbar, not just to use one for towing. According to the regs and the law, it is the fitting that is illegal if the car is not type approved for a towbar."

Just bumping to get to 30 posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom