Thinking of buying 2019 c43, any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich32

Car
Golf R32
Hi everyone,
I’m going to see a 2017 c43 tomorrow (Monday) with the aim of buying my first ever Mercedes…I’m wondering whether there are any obvious things to look out for? It seems a decent spec (comfy seats, performance exhaust, wooden trim on centre) and looks to be in good shape. It’s a 4 door, 2017 with 77800k on the clock and unmodified. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Richard

Hi everyone,
I’m going to see a 2017 c43 tomorrow (Monday) with the aim of buying my first ever Mercedes…I’m wondering whether there are any obvious things to look out for? It seems a decent spec (comfy seats, performance exhaust, wooden trim on centre) and looks to be in good shape. It’s a 4 door, 2017 with 77800k on the clock and unmodified. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Richard
Sorry I don't know much about the c43 yet at almost 80k for coming upto a 5 year old car I'd make sure all the service history is in place, and has been carried out on time at regular intervals. Keep in mind cars weren't always being serviced during the pandemic which means some were missed and at 80k I'd want to see it having all. Not sure if these are serviced on an annual or mileage basis or both.

If it is at a MB main dealer don't assume that it will be any better prepared than your local backstreet garage - and don't assume that it will even have a full service history. It will all need checking.

Purchase a proper w202 v8 c43 ;)
😁 iI would honestly love to! But I’m of a certain age where maintenance on those older cars, as fun as they are, gets a bit much! I quite fancy a bit of luxury, with some power when the wife and kids aren’t in it! I appreciate the advice though!

Thanks for your advice everyone. We have a full service history (first 2 with mb and the rest private). The car is showing as having 5 previous owners but the dealer tells me this is due to a couple of private reg changes so that apparently counts as an owner for each swap? I’m not sure about that but I’ve just been to see it and feel like I’m not necessarily making a considered choice - more like the urge to own one…

....due to a couple of private reg changes so that apparently counts as an owner for each swap?
That is what known in the trade as bulls**T!. I've swapped several plates onto various cars....it NEVER added an additional owner.

However its far from common for cars at the more performance based end of the spectrum to have multiple owners early in their lives. Look on AT at the number of owners E and C 63 models have....often 7 plus in ten or twelve years. People like the idea of owning one....that after a year or so the reality of the cost of ownership hits home for many on a more normal income and it gets chopped in.

Last edited:
That is what known in the trade as bulls**T!. I've swapped several plates onto various cars....it NEVER added an additional owner.
Thanks! That was my immediate thought! Thanks for confirming, I think the search will continue in this case, the amount of previous owners seems high, almost a new owner every year!

Thanks for your advice everyone. We have a full service history (first 2 with mb and the rest private). The car is showing as having 5 previous owners but the dealer tells me this is due to a couple of private reg changes so that apparently counts as an owner for each swap? I’m not sure about that but I’ve just been to see it and feel like I’m not necessarily making a considered choice - more like the urge to own one…
As others have said, be super careful with MB’s ‘Full History’. If any of the previous owners have skipped items (like transmission or diff oil changes), they won’t necessarily tell you that without you forcing the point.

Had a mare of time getting to the bottom of my C63’s history, via 3 different dealers!

As others have said, be super careful with MB’s ‘Full History’. If any of the previous owners have skipped items (like transmission or diff oil changes), they won’t necessarily tell you that without you forcing the point.

Had a mare of time getting to the bottom of my C63’s history, via 3 different dealers!
Hey, thanks! The car does have full history, I’m guessing A and B service were done under warranty at the dealership and the rest at various local garages. I’m more concerned that the car has been passed around so much - there’s either something dodgy going on or people can’t live with the car for more than a year…5 owners in just over 5 years seems excessive! But I’m definitely getting a c43, just perhaps not this one unfortunately! Thanks for sharing your experience though, it’s much appreciated!

Hey, thanks! The car does have full history, I’m guessing A and B service were done under warranty at the dealership and the rest at various local garages. I’m more concerned that the car has been passed around so much - there’s either something dodgy going on or people can’t live with the car for more than a year…5 owners in just over 5 years seems excessive! But I’m definitely getting a c43, just perhaps not this one unfortunately! Thanks for sharing your experience though, it’s much appreciated!
No worries. I think the high owner count really is indicative of people wanting to ‘scratch the itch’ - although I say that as only the third owner of my current car….buyer beware and all that I suppose!

Best to be 100% happy though so you’re right to look at other cars, there are plenty about anyway - good luck!

I've had mine for four years - granted I've only done 14k miles in it but it's been totally trouble free :) Part-exing it in a few weeks but totally loved owning it.

I've had mine for four years - granted I've only done 14k miles in it but it's been totally trouble free :) Part-exing it in a few weeks but totally loved owning it.
Awesome! I always enjoy hearing happy stories 😁 I’ve always been interested in performance cars (my current daily is my trusty vw R32 which I’ve had for over 10 years). I’m now looking for something more modern with at least a couple of buttons on the steering wheel! I’m pleased to hear you’ve enjoyed yours, I’m really looking forward to getting one for myself! Cheers, Richard

My initial thoughts are walk away, high mileage, high owners and a dealer who is telling BS to get a sale, plate changes add owners what I load of tosh. I'd also bank you'll find one with better service history as well.

Keep looking for the "right" car 👍

My initial thoughts are walk away, high mileage, high owners and a dealer who is telling BS to get a sale, plate changes add owners what I load of tosh. I'd also bank you'll find one with better service history as well.

Keep looking for the "right" car 👍
Thanks Steve! I agree with all you’ve said - it’s difficult to walk away but I know from past experience if you get an unlucky machine it can cause a lot of headaches in future!

Mine can be had for a mere £31k ;)
Thanks! Slightly above what I’m looking to spend unfortunately! I initially looked only at the 2019 facelift, convinced myself id never be happy with the older style. Then reality (the wife) took hold and something along the lines of: ‘if you spend 40k on a hoonigan then I’m spending 40k on something as well’. So I reassessed and am now sure that a 2017 would meet my needs, and also cost considerably less up front! Happy wife, happy life and all that 😂

Thanks! Slightly above what I’m looking to spend unfortunately! I initially looked only at the 2019 facelift, convinced myself id never be happy with the older style. Then reality (the wife) took hold and something along the lines of: ‘if you spend 40k on a hoonigan then I’m spending 40k on something as well’. So I reassessed and am now sure that a 2017 would meet my needs, and also cost considerably less up front! Happy wife, happy life and all that 😂
Lol, live this. Would you mind saying what the budget is as you may get a member who was considering selling contact you, or some suggestions being listed up 👍

Lol, live this. Would you mind saying what the budget is as you may get a member who was considering selling contact you, or some suggestions being listed up 👍
Thanks! I’m hoping to stick to around the 25k mark but having seen what’s on offer i think I might be slightly low. Basically, I’m realistic and know that you get what you pay for with these things! I’m also currently paying for a house extension (the cost of which i could have bought a brabus!)

Like Rich just brought first Mercedes - 2017 C43 convertible via Mercedes and am very happy with the car and pleasantly surprised to find that AMG models come with a 2 year warranty. Has a full MB service history (checked) all undertaken at the selling dealership and 2 owners from new, last having had the car for 4 years. Things I would particularly check on are the brakes and discs, tyres, windscreen along with the and front bumper and bonnet for stone chips and of course that everything inside the car operates as it should, as I hesitate to think how many electric motors there are with the premium plus pack and convertible hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom