Thinking of Buying a B Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As well as asking on here I've also been in touch with a few independent MB garages. All have told me that I would be safer buying a manual as the CVT's can be problematic. That's not the same as 'ALL' being problematic however the clear implication is that there is added risk to going the CVT route.

Just did a search re duff Mercedes CVT gear boxes and found one entry from this site. I am not sure whether the CVT gearbox is an issue, possibly more the driver who is unsure how they work (being polite here :D ) I have got 80k miles on mine and have had no issues at all, the oil is changed every 40k as per book and I even tow a 1400kg caravan with it 2 or 3 time a year.

You wont find all the results with those terms.

I suspect many A and B Class owners will have no idea what type of gearbox it is.

You'd find more searching 'gearbox b class' or 'gearbox a class' etc.

I just used the Google search in the Advanced search and 510 results came up. Some results will be the same ones of course, but others chip in who've had the same problems.

Although those without issues won't necessarily start threads, and what is on here is not representative of the world, I see more gearbox problems with As and Bs than anything else.

Not good.

You wont find all the results with those terms.

I suspect many A and B Class owners will have no idea what type of gearbox it is.

You'd find more searching 'gearbox b class' or 'gearbox a class' etc.

I just used the Google search in the Advanced search and 510 results came up. Some results will be the same ones of course, but others chip in who've had the same problems.

Although those without issues won't necessarily start threads, and what is on here is not representative of the world, I see more gearbox problems with As and Bs than anything else.

Not good.

Certainly did lots of searches, and there isn't a large volume of MB faulty boxes, and certainly no more than any other manufacturers gearboxes. I often wonder in these cases whether one of two faulty boxes clouds the market. I suppose the obvious question is whether MB have changed their gearboxes in later models or do they still use the basic same gearbox?

Certainly did lots of searches, and there isn't a large volume of MB faulty boxes, and certainly no more than any other manufacturers gearboxes. I often wonder in these cases whether one of two faulty boxes clouds the market. I suppose the obvious question is whether MB have changed their gearboxes in later models or do they still use the basic same gearbox?

If they do use the same gearbox, did they strengthen it like Audi did with the multitronic gearbox...

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of all the indes who frequent this forum - they would be the best gauge as to the 'real world' situation.

As skirmish states, the inde garages he has been in touch seemed to suggest avoiding them.

Like anything, you get your 'good ones' and you 'lemons' so skirmish could be lucky, but he could be very unlucky - down to the individual risk profile I guess.

I think if you search the forum you will find many people running the CVT with no problems. All cars have niggles. VW 1.9TDi and BMW 320D eat there own turbos, but they are popular as hell.

B-class in my view is an excellent large hatch. Out sold the Golf Plus in Germany for many years.

The quality of materials is excellent and the options endless (actually 5.4 trillion combinations possible).

I worked at Rastatt for two years in Halle 4.1.... home of the CST245 - its correct name ;)

Easy to get in and commanding driving position without feeling like you're stilling in a stool.

Go for it.

B200T is thristy. All Diesels are 2.0l but as said the 200CDi was best if not the most popular.

Hello to all members. I joined up today.
Thank you def90cars for your perspective on the B200 and others who've shared their thoughts.
I'm searching for a used B200T(CVT) in our small Oz market.

I'm abit hesitant about the CVT repair costs.
I'm a keen DIY, so would attempt all servicing and repairs.
Hopefully any CVT repairs won't be too daunting if and when the time comes.

Cheers.

I checked out two B200Ts today.
First one had only done 34,000 km (2009 model).
One look under the bonnet and I made a hasty retreat.
It had a cheap & cheerful repair work done for a front end accident.

I checked out the next B200T (97K kms) at an independent used car dealer.
It had a rust spot near the bonnet hinge about the size of £1. Everything else looks Ok.
The torque and acceleration was good. But 400m down the road it'd started to beep at me.
The dealer got off to check the rear hatch and the doors, all seems fine.
There was no yellow fault light on the dash. Another 600m down the road, it beeped.
Then another 400m it did it again.

We got back and I checked the full MB dealer service records.
The B200T had been serviced for its working life of 97K kms.
Service interval ranged between 10-20K kms.
There was no record of the CVT being serviced every 40K kms.
(Would have liked to hooked up an OBD2 scanner for a diagnostic scan.)
I wonder if this beep is related to the CVT, brakes or some other fault.
The previous owner's total reliance on MB Dealers to replace the CVT fluid
every 40K kms was not recorded in the service book.

My search goes on for a well cared B200T CVT.

That beeping may be an over-sensitive collision avoidance system. Ours regularly gives two beeps when passing certain lamp posts. In all other respects, the car has performed faultlessly since new 9 months/7k miles ago.

If you can stretch your budget, the later version with the 7G-DCT is very good. It also has an aluminium bonnet and front wings, so no rust!

We got a B180d sport auto (7G-DCT) in 2012. I can honestly say it's been a great little car. Never missed a beat and the auto box is fine.

I'm not sure why it gets such a bad press tbh. It is the first non ford family runner we've had. We looked at the C-max but the dash looked so busy full of stuff. The B Class dash IMO looks sleek.

Ant

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input guys.
Honestly, I'm hooked on the B200T. Having tested one yesterday,
I found the torque and power from the 2.0L Turbo sooo intoxicating,
much better than my current Peugeot 206.
I prefer the shape of the first generation B200 rather than the second.
I like CVT transmission having driven a Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT for 2 weeks.
The pseudo 7sp box is great when you need to drive briskly.
but the B200 2.0 Turbo is another 2 steps up.
I also have a Vespa with CVT and they are a load of fun.

I think if you search the forum you will find many people running the CVT with no problems. All cars have niggles. VW 1.9TDi and BMW 320D eat there own turbos, but they are popular as hell.

B-class in my view is an excellent large hatch. Out sold the Golf Plus in Germany for many years.

The quality of materials is excellent and the options endless (actually 5.4 trillion combinations possible).

I worked at Rastatt for two years in Halle 4.1.... home of the CST245 - its correct name ;)

Easy to get in and commanding driving position without feeling like you're stilling in a stool.

Go for it.

B200T is thristy. All Diesels are 2.0l but as said the 200CDi was best if not the most popular.

Based on what? What the press say? Have to say this is completely untrue. The turbo makes for a very efficient drive. I get 41mpg on my 1/2 hour commute. it completely outclasses any other petrol B class (cant comment on the diesels as I have not driven them). Take the B150 for example, you are finding yourself much higher up the rev range, just to get anywhere. As a result the same journey saw 43mpg on the dash. Considering the massive difference in power, i.e. driving experience, the B200 Turbo, in my opinion is the only B class petrol to have. People have only avoided it because of completely misleading press figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom