Thinking of Buying a Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

therobster

Car
CLK 270 CDI Avant Garde
First post as just joined.

I am thinking about buying my first Merc, looking at a second hand CLK, would like the 270 CDI and would like to know if anyone could give me some pointers on possible pitfalls of the second hand market for these cars and what i should be looking for, I am thinking possibly a 55 or 56 plate one

Hi and welcome,
First class service history would be top of my list, also full hpi check. Electrics need to be in full working order as can be expensive to correct. I have a 2003 270cdi c class with 120000 on clock. Have had no real problems with it. Lot of very clued up members who will give you better advise when you find a car that you are interested in buying.

Hi and welcome,
First class service history would be top of my list, also full hpi check. Electrics need to be in full working order as can be expensive to correct. I have a 2003 270cdi c class with 120000 on clock. Have had no real problems with it. Lot of very clued up members who will give you better advise when you find a car that you are interested in buying.

Thanks Buffers

Any idea what the auto boxes are like, only had one automatic before and that was an espace cost a fourtune when it went wrong so a bit wary of autos, not that I would discount one, just wondered

Hello and welcome to the forum.

First point is that Mercedes stopped using the 270 CDi engine in cars around 2005, so if you were looking at CLK diesels after that date, you have a choice of two; the 220 CDi or the 320 CDi.

How much is the budget, if you don't mind me asking?

was looking at the 270 on a 55 plate and the 220 on a 56, looking at around 7.5k plus my 55 scenic 1.5 diesel

was looking at the 270 on a 55 plate and the 220 on a 56, looking at around 7.5k plus my 55 scenic 1.5 diesel
Stop looking at the 270s and start searching for the CLK 320 CDi would be my recommendation then.

I would say that you have roughly £10k to spend, is that what you were thinking?

Stop looking at the 270s and start searching for the CLK 320 CDi would be my recommendation then.

I would say that you have roughly £10k to spend, is that what you were thinking?

Around that but also trying to get a balance between luxury and the fuel sconomy, I driver a 50 mile round trip daily to work, the scenic has been a good workhorse and I have had it since new, and although there is nothing wrong with it I am bored with it, I want something a bit morefor me rathe than for practicality if that makes sense

Around that but also trying to get a balance between luxury and the fuel sconomy, I driver a 50 mile round trip daily to work, the scenic has been a good workhorse and I have had it since new, and although there is nothing wrong with it I am bored with it, I want something a bit morefor me rathe than for practicality if that makes sense
In all honesty, I have had the 2.7 5 cyl, the 3.2 IL6 and the 3.0 V6 (which is in the CLK 320) and there is very little if any difference in MPG between the 3 engines in my experience.

Your biggest problem with the 320 would be resisting the temptation to press the loud pedal too much.;)

Here's a nice example.
2006 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 320 CDi Sport 2dr Tip Auto Diesel Coupe

Although it is slightly up on miles, keep in mind that mine has done 131k and the engine is as tight as one with 40k on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine is lovely in the V6, but truth be told sweetpea (i've driven V6 CDi's 220cdi's and 270cdi's) there is nowt wrong with the 270cdi engine.

Its every bit as proven as the V6 CDi, if not more so, (commercial vehicles have seen over 400k on that lump) with a nicer transmission, or have you got one of the 7gs that doesn't take an age to change gears, and jolt and thump? Every 7g car I've driven has had a shifting problem from £50k CLS's to £15k 211's like mine.

Whilst the engines may last, other components on a higher miles car will be needing replaced, bushings etc. A lower miles CLK 270cdi is what I'd probably consider.

The gearbox on my car is smoother than Lionel Richie? Must be your technique Steve....

I can't knock the 2.7, it's in the 312, 313 and 316 Sprinters and it will, quite literally, run forever. My point is that the V6 is in a different league of refinement, at low speeds the 270 can sound quite agricultural.

The gearbox on my car is smoother than Lionel Richie? Must be your technique Steve....

I can't knock the 2.7, it's in the 312, 313 and 316 Sprinters and it will, quite literally, run forever. My point is that the V6 is in a different league of refinement, at low speeds the 270 can sound quite agricultural.

Its an automatic, you put it into D. I drive quite sedately, hence the sheds rears have attained 30k miles and have 3mm left.

I too found it a strange gearbox at first, coming from the 5 speed as I did.

I'm pretty much used to it now and I think it's really good. Better than the 5.

I'm clearly in a minority. It detracts from an excellent car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom