thinking of buying a newer Mercedes.., but which one..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
3x MOT, 3x insurance, 3x servicing, 3x brakes/tires. what kind of mileage/mpg do you do across all 3 cars? Buying a more efficient vehicle isn't the only option to save money.

3x MOT, 3x insurance, 3x servicing, 3x brakes/tires. what kind of mileage/mpg do you do across all 3 cars? Buying a more efficient vehicle isn't the only option to save money.

I have Different cars for different occasions...
G wagen (12mpg) incredible winter car, got fed up being stuck in snow covered hilly roads....also used for taking crap to the tip- 1000miles pa (8 years until its tax and mot exempt!) classic Insurance £280
SL55 AMG- (17 - 25mpg) Summer car, only driven between April and Oct, so far 1000pa ( planning some long trips next year) sheer indulgent pleasure! insurance £300 only tax it 6 months of year.
E350cdi Coupe - (40-48mpg) wife's mainly uses this for commuting and longer trips to see family . 6000miles pa
insurance £300
tyres are literally lasting years..
Servicing is OK depending.. on which car is up.
I service the G at a mates garage, so parts only cost
I do all the brakes myself.. so only parts..
E goes to an Indy every year... so far very affordable...
SL will be expensive.. but is expected. possible future classic? .

Value for money is as important as saving it.

Last edited:
Your current E Coupe is worth quite a lot less than £10k you mentioned

Similar models on AT are listed at £6500 to £7500. How readily they are selling I don't know.

It might help to sell it if you have had the rear subfrane inspected and shown to be clear of corrosion 👍

I wasn't aware the C207 suffered this issue?

I wasn't aware the C207 suffered this issue?
Yes they do unfortunately, the W207 is based on the C Class chassis.

A friend took his 2014 45000 mile E Coupe for MOT last October, the garage called him to come down to look at the car.

The subframe had corroded and cracked.

MB did replace it FOC though.

update.

My Indie just checked my rear subframe and it's all good.. another MOT pass yesterday. (12 years old on 30th)

I looked at a lot of alternatives to swap for my E350 coupe cdi and after 12 years of ownership my needs have changed. Ageing parents etc.. a coupe no longer fits the family car bill... nothing Mercedes has to offer, made me want to rush out and buy.. the quandary was whether to go electric..or petrol or diesel.. so.... after many test drives and much thinking..
A few weeks ago I placed an order for a brand new Audi SQ5 coming in mid 2023 .. £7,500 off list with Drivethedeal.
Dark blue metallic , black nappa leather sports seats, carbon trim inside, 3.0L V6 Diesel, electric supercharged and turbo charged.. 0-62 in 5.1sec 155mph and about 36 - 49 mpg driven normally, adaptive dampers... etc
I plan to keep my SL55AMG and my G wagen..
(my owned from new 76k mile E 350 coupe will be sold once the SQ5 arrives)
My SQ5 test drive was a revelation... smooth quiet and comfortable and it felt quick and special. 😌

I will probability sell my E Coupe through 'Motorway.'. when the time comes, I used them recently for my father's car, collection was slow but a good price achieved compared to wwbyc.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions...

John

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice motor, that, John. 🙂👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom