Thinking of buying an old SLK 230K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
I’m looking for a cheap car just to get to and from work and quite like the idea of one of these, don’t need anything big so am fine with a 2 seater and didn’t mind the 230K engine in a CLK coupe I had years ago.
Is there anything particular to look out for on them,apart from rust!.

Lovely cars, much underrated in my view. Yes rust is the big enemy but also watch out for any dash warning lights and the engine thermostat can stick which often allows the car to run cool. An auto gearbox fluid and filter change around 50k miles is good. Watch out for chipped paint on dash and centre console which is a known issue. Check the roof opens and closes without issues. I've owned my more or less pristine 230k for nearly 4 years and l love it to bits. Good luck.

Reactions: Oli
R170 is not galvanised, R171 is, so rust is potentially less of an issue with R171 if budget allows.

R170 is not galvanised, R171 is, so rust is potentially less of an issue with R171 if budget allows.

There have been statements that all MBs were galvanised by 2004.

The implication is that the last R170s may well have been galvanised.

We had one of the last ones and had no rust issues at 7 years old. I can recall speaking to an owner of a late 90s version who had rust within 5 years.

I bought one new for my wife’s 30th birthday present in 1999. We still have it! Like anything of that age, you need to have your eyes open. Find the best historied, lowest mileage example you can. Ours has 33,000 miles from new. Unfortunately it isn’t for sale :)

I’m now torn between an SLK and W208 CLK, just fancy a cheap convertible really, not really fussed if it’s a 230K or 320 V6 they’re both so similar in terms of performance and MPG.
Doesn’t need to be a pristine one at all, as going to be more daily hack than pampered.
There’s another sub £7k convertible I’m planning to buy soon and tuck away in the garage rather than drive often :D .

The m112 v6 is a dependable and simple unit. To be brutally honest it's the better choice of the two. The joy of six, and all that. They did fit that engine in the r170 SLK too, in case you weren't aware ;)

I know it’s a more simple engine and wouldn’t be worried about having either of them, never really been that fussed about a V6 though always liked the V8 the best, got one at the moment and still like the rumble-even if it is an oil burner!.

About to put our up for sale. SLK280 (3.0V6) Around 33,000 miles. 58 plate. Full MB service history. Last service & MOT in late August.
Black with black nappa interior, red stitching & red seat belts. Electric memory seats. COMAND. Sports pack. Wheels refurbed, tyres have 6mm - 7mm tread. Heated seats & neck warmers. Front & rear parktronic. Was thinking around £7,000

If opting for 4-cyl petrol... steer clear of anything that has the M271 engine (1.8L Kompressor), unless it had the timing gear replaced, or you set aside some money to get it done after buying the car.

That said, the M271 was introduced around 2003, so earlier cars will likely have the M111 engine (2.0L Kompressor) which is fine.

Reactions: Oli
I went to look at one earlier and it was a dog so holding off until a decent one comes up, also watching a W208 CLK 430 cab on eBay at the moment, my reasoning being the 230k and 320 are said to be very similar fuel wise and apparently the 430 isn’t that much worse than the 320 so might as well get the V8 if you’re going to get a W208!.

I went to look at one earlier and it was a dog so holding off until a decent one comes up, also watching a W208 CLK 430 cab on eBay at the moment, my reasoning being the 230k and 320 are said to be very similar fuel wise and apparently the 430 isn’t that much worse than the 320 so might as well get the V8 if you’re going to get a W208!.
I’d agree with that!

Picked up a SLK 200K today, usual bits of rust on front wings and above number plate in boot, few advisories for corrosion on brake lines which is easy enough for me to sort otherwise drives pretty well, no nasty knocks from the suspension, roof works well, heater and AC both fine, it’s a manual one so actually felt quite fun and certainly not too slow either, loads of room under the bonnet to do any work too which is nice!.
It’s overdue a service so I will change the oil etc this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom