Thinking of buying an SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
slk

hi mun82 ive a slk for sale one of the best in the borders,amg exhaust,18 wheels,leather amg full bodykit,upgraded indicaters,private plate if u any interest gis a ring 07769972877

Attachments

• merc2.jpg
    merc2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I've just read the 98/99 CLK 320 vs CLK 230k - real costs? thread. Further to my earlier post - 200K or 230K - where the preference seemed to be for the 230K, what about the 230K against the 320?
Are there huge differences in running costs (servicing, mpg, insurance)?

Personally I think the 320 is a far superior car but it is more thirsty on the old juice and insurance will be slightly more. Whether it's cost prohibitive only you can decide - but a guide for me is if you have to ask the question - then it probably is.

The 320 is made for driving and enjoying - and that sucks the petrol. It is possibe to get 29mpg if you average steady runs. Mr P is determined to get 350 out of a tank in Edna. The most I've ever had out of her is 316 and that was the other day and yes she was on fumes!!(11 gallon tank). I normally get 280. Around 25 mpg.

Servicing should be comparable.

I have a 230SLK (1999 pre-facelift) which cost me £7k (69000 miles) a couple of months back from a trader. I have an airbag light on (something about needing some matting replacing under the passenger seat) and steamed up headlights (any known cure). Otherwise it has been utterly fine and a nippy, easy to drive and park beast.

It is thirsty however - I barely get 200 miles from a £45+ tank (all urban driving). Granted I fill up asap once the light comes on (not sure what the range is on the light) and I do like to boot it from lights, once road clears etc. I would have liked the 320, but would have cost me a couple more grand to buy and more to insure (also post March 2001 more to tax too)

If you want an utterly impractical 2 seater coupe (for wet days) / roadster (for sunny days), go for it and enjoy :D I quite fancy the 32 next ;)

If you want an utterly impractical 2 seater coupe (for wet days) / roadster (for sunny days), go for it and enjoy :D I quite fancy the 32 next ;)

My dear boy I won't have that said ;) I drove my 32AMG down through Spain to Porta Banus some 1600miles all told there and back, roof down the entire journey, (Which means less boot space). I took my other half and all the bags required for 10 days away. Just Brill!! (Admittedly there are no spare wheels in SLK32AMG's so you get extra space, but then you get the "get you to the nearest tyre bar solution" which involves a spray can, some plastic hose, and a wing and a prayer. The other option is ring the number on the door shut and MB will come and get you. :D

That aside all 'n all the 32 is a surprisingly practical FAST car for two, and a fantastic 'Q' car ;) Boy I've had some fun with the boy racers who don't know what they're playing with!

Still searching, there arent many (any!) in the £8K bracket black or silver below 70k. May have to expand criteria.

Still searching, there arent many (any!) in the £8K bracket black or silver below 70k. May have to expand criteria.

I've been keeping a very close eye on the market at the mo - I know mine is prob out of your price range.. but I'd say it's worth spending a bit extra if you can, to get a nice low mileage one..there are a few around the 9k mark :)

The other thing to consider is the age - because of the road tax going up.. so getting a pre 2001 model might be an advantage in some ways .. if you can get a low mileage example..

I paid £7k for my red 230 99 V reg with 70k on clock, with two tone grey/black leather, so they are out there.

Indeed, I may sell mine in the autumn as I am going to be commuting by train for a bit and seems daft to have cash tied up in it, especially with fuel prices as they are. At the moment, I'm barely getting 200 miles from £45 of UL :crazy:

Having owned both a 230 followed by 320 before getting a Lotus, they are great - I also managed better mpg in the 320. Press reports liken the steering to that of a tractor, but it was never a problem, at any speed. Now getting rid of the Lotus and back to a SLK, a 350 this time. A car for fun and serious long distance driving when needed.

I paid £7k for my red 230 99 V reg with 70k on clock, with two tone grey/black leather, so they are out there.

Indeed, I may sell mine in the autumn as I am going to be commuting by train for a bit and seems daft to have cash tied up in it, especially with fuel prices as they are. At the moment, I'm barely getting 200 miles from £45 of UL :crazy:

I would get her serviced!!! I get that out of a 4.3l V8 2ton S class!!! I dont drive like a girl but I still think mine will do better!!!!

It's all urban driving unfortunately - rarely get above 40mph, which with a 2.3l engine and an auto box does not make for good economy :( When the road does open up, I do tend to put my foot down which probably doesn't help either :rolleyes:

It did have an oil change before I got it, what else would you suggest? It does have fsh and had a full service last August and fewer than 4k miles ago

if the guys at MB have looked after it as you say then not much you can do, I think my MPG is a bit poo as the car needs a service, too busy at the moment for it though, I am staggered that a 2.3litre small, lightweight auto car only achieves that mileage on its fuel, I was actually toying with the idea of getting an SLK as I think the S is a little ostentatous, another reason was the reduction in fuel bills, now it appears that may not be the case, I am treated to generally dual carriageways and motorways on my journey so maybe if you had my commute your car would be better on its fuel and visa versa,

It doesn't have FMBSH but it has been serviced annually.

The figures I am getting (I'm guessing c. 22mpg, although it's difficult to tell with fuel prices going up constantly :() , seem in line with the figures I've seen for urban consumption ...

It doesn't have FMBSH but it has been serviced annually.

The figures I am getting (I'm guessing c. 22mpg, although it's difficult to tell with fuel prices going up constantly :() , seem in line with the figures I've seen for urban consumption ...

If you are only doing urban and never get a run then your consumption will be high delivering low economy. Sounds right to me. I get abour 25 mpg from my 320 but that's because I get a mix of urban and a nice run each and every day. My 44 mile round trip has about 10 miles of urban and 34 steady at 60mph. If Mr P uses it he gets a much longer run with almost no urban and has got 29mpg. It's the urban that's the real killer.

He's got a plan that for the Nuneaton trip we're ging to get 350 from the tank - I am oddly not convinced!! We're going to carry a can :D I average 280 a tank.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom