Thinking of buying C230K 1998 R

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

idrisk

In my search for a nice C230k. I have found one in silver,. leather, heated seats,A/C, merc. history until 70K other service at local garage currently on 102k . Seller wanted £5500 but got him to agree on £4500. Thinking of buying this ?. :confused:
Please can you tell me if this seems to be a right price for this spec. ? All answers appreciated.

kind regards
Idris

Does anybody know of any common problems or anything I should look out for ?.

Is the transmission problematic ? Does the time belt need to be changed at a certain mileage ?
I guess a car with 103k must have some parts that have worn out or that are or not as good as before, anybody know what to look out for ?.

Does anyone know any good independant Mercedes garages around East london ?.

thanks

Check manifold for any cracks,I don't have one but a friend does and has found out that this is a common problem and expensive to rectify.Iam sure other more experianced will advise you

Lovely cars, fell in love with mine in 5 minutes ,,, was driving it home in 10 !!!!

Hi

If the mileage is genuine should be no problems, sold mine with 90K to someone i know and she has 10?K on her now with only service parts and a couple of diff front oil seals. She was dec 96 and is still on her original battery, god i miss her but larger family meant she had to go.

Good luck

A well cared for w202 should be good for a long time yet. Ball joints go at 60 and 120 thousand miles, differentials seap and sometimes need taken apart and their seals redone, some of us have had leaky gearbox electronic plugs which suck oil to your passenger footwell, like any car MAFs go sometimes, Brakes are fine, shocks may well need done, Auto gearboxes are good and rebuildable if needed, manual gearbox seem to sometimes jump out of gear and cant re rebuilt very easily, exhaust last ages, cats sometimes go around 100k , engines run forever as long as looked after, ............all in all a great car which if you get a good one you'll love.

Final thing check for rust. Mines done 90k and has not one spot, but others havent been so fortunate.

TOPMERCS said:
Check manifold for any cracks,I don't have one but a friend does and has found out that this is a common problem and expensive to rectify.Iam sure other more experianced will advise you
It is £500 at a stealership to have the manifold changed, my previous W202 C230k cracked the manifold at 100k. Manifold itself is about £250 and it's 2.2 hours book time to change.

idrisk said:
Does anyone know any good independant Mercedes garages around East london ?.

I think Alps found a guy in East London who can offer a good deal for forum members. The link to the Alps post is here

If all else fails, you could always pop down to Wembley, where you can find George Fraser. People have mixed views, but generally people are very pleased with his work.

Welcome to the Forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom