Thinking of buying W169

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scot22

Car
mercedes a class 2012
I have my eye on a 2010 Avantgarde 1700 petrol auto with 34,500 on the clock.
My queries are :

1) What should I check in particular ? ( I am aware of checking service record record and similar basics )
2) I have heard that parts are no longer available if there are problems with the auto. Is this true ?
3) Might the rather low mileage be a problem ?

Any advice appreciated.

I have my eye on a 2010 Avantgarde 1700 petrol auto with 34,500 on the clock.
My queries are :

1) What should I check in particular ? ( I am aware of checking service record record and similar basics )
2) I have heard that parts are no longer available if there are problems with the auto. Is this true ?
3) Might the rather low mileage be a problem ?

Any advice appreciated.

Hello. The W169 has a good reputation for reliability,especially post facelift (2008).

1. Pre facelift some had problems with rust on the underside of the doors-it was a basic design fault with a 'rippled' seal prone to rusting. Design was changed to a smooth strip, which appears to have solved the problem. I have a 2010 Avantgarde and absolutely no issues.

2.CVT auto not liked by some. Reports of some unlucky enough to need new gearbox waiting two months or more for replacement,but this seems quite rare.

3.Low mileages not uncommon with the W169, as many were bought by older people.

In general, an under-appreciated car IMO - its passing much mourned by owners for whom the current A-Class is unsuitable.

Thank you that is a very helpful post. I appreciate people taking the time and trouble to share their knowledge and experience.

Hey Scott,

I thought you were looking for an S40 over on Honest John!!

I went from the S40 to an A180 CDi auto as I wanted to keep the diesel engine, but combine it with an automatic gearbox and no particle filter. We've had ours 15 months and had a few unexpected problems, which thankfully were fixed under the excellent Mercedes warranty. (Ours is a 2007 Elegance SE model, now with 51k miles but it has the later smooth door seams)

Firstly, it needed a new alternator pulley bearing, then more recently a new A/C condensor and a front suspension top mount. I'm hoping that I was just a little unlucky and that this trend will not continue.

To be honest, I miss the comfort and luxury of the S40, but the ride of the A Class is quite good for a small car, and the handling is fluid through bends, although the front end 'washes wide' a little earlier than most. Not a problem under normal driving. Good refinement and the excellent CVT gearbox are plus points. I'm not too familiar with the petrol engines but I think they would be OK performance wise.

Visibility is excellent, and you do sit higher up a la SUV style

I agree with rhud that the lowish mileage is not an issue. Ours had 42k on it when we purchased it at 7 years old. First owner from new, serviced by supplying MB dealer.

You don't say if the one you are looking at is at a MB dealer, but I would advise buying an approved used one with a 12 month warranty: Parts are expensive and Labour rates high. but the little A Class has a feeling of quality than you don't find in more run if the mill hatches.

Oh, I think the one you like is in Hessle? Looks great but not MB dealer.

The nearest I can see is a smaller engined 2011 A160 Avantgarde at MB Doncaster, little trip down the M18? (I went to university in Hull!)

Or you could look at the seller's warranty or an aftermarket one and make sure it covers all bits of the CVT gearbox if you are worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom