Thinking of coming back to MB, retro style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mymini007

Car
Mini (real one) CLS320
Hi everyone.
It has been 5 years since I sold my CLS, and I am thinking it's time I started looking for another toy.
I have been in an Audi for the last 5 years, and to be fair, it has been pretty good.
I am now buzzing around in a VW transporter as my daily, so I am looking for a toy.
I don't want to spend too much, £7k at the absolute maximum.
It needs to have 4 seats. I would like a convertible but not a deal breaker if it's not.
I have always loved the look of CL55/500 and they seem to be very much in the price bracket I am looking at.
Also other options, C55 AMG? C32 AMG? the odd E55 seems to be popping up under £8k.

Any advice on any of the above or is there something I am missing?

Go for the CL...you will not regret it.
Any advice on what to look for, which engine to go for?
I have seen the CL500 for as little as £3000. Is this just going to be a whole heap of trouble?
Do I go for the 500 or the AMG?

If you’re not too bothered about the odd thousand pound bill, go for the CL - it is the kind of car that Mercedes do really really well.

A good, clean C32/55 would be a good buy now too and should be very cheap to run.

In the middle is the E55K - can throw up eye watering bills but if you’re lucky it could end up costing you pennies.

So, in short, the CL will cost money to keep on the road whereas the other options have a lower probability, certainly the W203 AMG’s anyway.

If you’re not too bothered about the odd thousand pound bill, go for the CL - it is the kind of car that Mercedes do really really well.

A good, clean C32/55 would be a good buy now too and should be very cheap to run.

In the middle is the E55K - can throw up eye watering bills but if you’re lucky it could end up costing you pennies.

So, in short, the CL will cost money to keep on the road whereas the other options have a lower probability, certainly the W203 AMG’s anyway.
Thanks for the tip. I Really do love the Cl and 1000 - 1500 miles a year. £1 per mile in repairs? :LOL:
I have my eye on a couple of W203s too. So I need to get in and drive a few and see what I like best

So C32 and C55, does not seem to be a lot of difference apart from V8 appeal?

A Cl or CLS won't be a convertible; if you want one of those, possibly a CLK might suit? It sounds from what you've posted so far that you're inclining more to a coupe or even saloon, though.

So C32 and C55, does not seem to be a lot of difference apart from V8 appeal?

Having driven both (in SLK form), they are worlds apart. The power delivery in the 32 is very linear and it doesn't feel, subjectively, anywhere near as fast - although there's very little in it against the clock. The V8 is a torque monster and there's grunt everywhere from tickover upwards, plus of course that lovely noise. That never gets old! Drive both before making a decision as YMMV, but for me it'd be the V8 every time.

Cheers,

Gaz

I’d go for a C55 over a C32, numerous improvements in the facelift car, more reliable, just as quick and - it’s a V8 :cool:

C32s can rust badly, a later C55 should be galvanised.

Corrosion will be a bigger headache/more costly to address than any mechanical jobs anyway :)

Thanks for the tip. I Really do love the Cl and 1000 - 1500 miles a year. £1 per mile in repairs? :LOL:
I have my eye on a couple of W203s too. So I need to get in and drive a few and see what I like best
You do get some unexpected bills with a CL...mine has cost me nearly £100 in the past year!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom