Thinking of getting a C200, Older 2.0 or the new 1.5?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kashhh

Car
None
Hi guys, I'm looking into getting a C200 estate. The ones I'm looking at are 2018-new and some of the 18 plates have the older 2.0 unit. Which would you go for? Is the 1.5 a Merc engine and does anyone have any experience with them?

Also does the 4Matic system work like a proper 60/40 split of is it one of those Haldex jobbies?

Thanks

I had the C200 and wanted to replace it with another 2 litre C200, but sadly they replaced it with the 1.5

The old 2 litre is a gem of an engine. It's quiet, revs very cleanly to the red line and makes all the right noises and just shoots off the line with no lag. The 1.5 feels slower, and on youtube anyway 0-100 is about 8.5

I've only test driven one and found the 1.5 nosier when revved, and slower, but the way the engine shuts off when coasting and start stop are both undetectable and vibration free. The 2 litre could achieve 48 mpg on long motorway runs, but around 26 mpg in town, maybe the 1.5 is better with the extra battery power?

The engine noise didn't appeal to me (coming from the 2 litre C200) so I went for the C300 instead.

Had a C300 as a courtesy car, I liked it, it was pretty quick too.

Is the 1.5 a Renault sourced engine ?

Cam Chain aside which they could have fixed, MB had a perfectly good 1.6 engine that was very economical. It's hard to believe this 1.5 is sufficiently more economical to justify the loss of refinement.

I really enjoyed my 2.0 engine, that was the engine that convinced me to ditch diesel even before the Dieselgate started. It was cheaper to buy than a 250d, Cheaper to run (service) than a 250d, not quite as quick of the mark but a lot more refined, and it actually had better resale in the end.

Town economy was poor, put then again it was just as bad doing winter school run in a CLS350d which only did 20mpg on cold mornings and never got warm unless you did at least 10 miles.

I have the 2.0L in my 2018 C Coupe and it is really quiet and refined, especially coming from a 200d which was very rough in comparison.
I believe the 1.5 in the new C200 is a Mercedes engine though. I haven't driven one so can't comment on it but I do really like the 2.0L so would be a bit disappointed with the new one unless it has significantly better fuel economy, which is my only negative on the 2.0L.

I've got an 18 plate C200 saloon with the 1.5 engine, bought it 2nd hand at 5 or 6 months old with under 2k miles.
I find it quick enough off the line although it's obviously not massively quick, but fine for me.
Stop start is actually usable, in my wife's 64 plate GLA it's pretty bloody awful. In the C200 it's a bit faster than putting it in 1st gear if it was a manual if you get what I mean. I expected to turn it off, but most of the time I leave it on unless I want a really, really quick off the line.
Actually like the cruise / glide mode in Eco and the engine shuts off as you slow down even in comfort, but it's quick to turn back on again when you brake or accelerate :)
It's noisy when you put your foot down hard and does sound like you're ragging the nuts off it, but I'm not bothered by that at all - it still shifts :)
I do 80 miles each way to / from work (stay there during the week). Most of it is dual carriageway A roads but lots of roundabouts and I get 40 - 44 MPG, not all that much difference in Eco or comfort, I don't drive all that slow. When my wife drives it to Birmingham up the M1 / M6 (60 or 70 miles) she regularly gets 54 MPG, the best I've done it was 48. That's in comfort not Eco, she doesn't like the engine cutting out ;)
It's been a while since I did much around town driving and I can't remember the mileage I got.
The interior is really nice, it's got the 10.25 screen, electric & heated seats (never used the heating) climate control, DAB, BT, Satnav, and the new steering wheel with the touch pads which I really do like, with the voice control I hardly every use the control knob / wheel. Even the media search is great, although it never seems to be able to find AC/DC on the USB stick :(
It's got standard halogen lights - this is a mistake, I'd never do that again as they're really poor IMHO,
My previous car was a C180 2010, which was a lovely car to drive but left a little to be desired from a handling aspect and this is much better at road holding a more forgivable if you chuck it into a roundabout.
I've had it 7 months and it's just ticked over 8k miles, it's had one safety recall but apart from that it's never been back to the dealer.

It's the nicest (and newest) car I've owned, but I've been driving for 30+ years and it's only my 2nd Merc, prior to that it was Vauxhall, Citroen, Renault etc. so I've not got a fantastic back history of quality cars to compare it against :)

40 to 44 MPG on your commutes is great. My C300 although much quicker is probably 30 to 34 mpg on A roads

The 2 litre C200 maybe 34 to 38 mpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom