Thinking of getting an ML (w163)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
As the tile suggests I am thinking of ditching the Lexus and buying an ML. I never been a fan but I saw a couple today and quite fancy them. I really want a CDi engine as I would like the economy that comes with it.

Any ideas what should I look for or if they are any good? I am looking at the £3000 to £4000 mark.

I drove a mk1 diesel for a few days years ago. Economical was not a term I would have used, although as to be better than the petrols I guess.

I'd suggest getting one of the facelift one's (circa 2001/2 onward). They have the mirror indicators and a slightly revised dash.

We had a petrol ML320 a while back great family car (at the time). However I would say that dynamically it won't handle or drive well if you've driven more modern 4x4's before. Remember that it was first launched in 1997/8!

Look for the family pack (7 seats) and Lux pack (privacy glass & some other stuff).

Yes, they're great cars. Go for a facelift and buy one which looks like it has been maintained properly.

Thanks for the input gent, much appreciated. Anything I should watch out for?

I have a 2004 7 seat Lux pack that has just done 100k and love it. The things that have gone on mine have been

Maf sensor
Thermostat
Fuel lines
High pressure pump

Apart from above just service items and a two gearbox oil changes and she runs like a dream.

Mark

Plus ball joints, rust around the arches and tailgate release switch (above number plate), broken rear springs (dealers don't supply springs on their own), and ARB bushes, but those are things to look for on any car.

bigmacplease said:
I would say economical either but it will no doubt be a good family mover.

Do you know roughly what is the MPG as the Lexus barely manages 30-32

We got around 28-30mpg out of our 270cdi.

Look out for rust.
We had the rear springs crack (difficult to see sometimes and although an MOT failure, I'm sure it sneeked through at least twice before I replaced them. The suspension units are expensive and come as a complete unit with the springs attached as has been mentioned.
The electrical brushes go on the ABS pump motor. You get three warning lights on the dash and virtually everyone tells you to get a new ABS pump (cost around 1200 quid) when actually all it needs is replacement brushes in the motor (cost around 5 quid).
Inlet manifolds can crack, and the glow plugs can be sometimes a pain to remove, you need to follow advice on changing them if you do the work yourself.

Hi,
Quick question for Scottishv8owner, I had three lights come on the dash of my ML320 yesterday. When I stopped and turned it off and re-started it they went out.

What is the fix for this as you mentioned brushes in the motor..? if you have any details could you send it to me [email protected].

Thanks, Richie.

Richie,

Read through this thread, its a bit long, but it does describe in detail the fix

C1401 ABS/ETS/BAS lights come on randomly - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

You may get intermittent lights if the brushes get worn, and yes, turning off the engine will reset them, but they will keep coming back on as the connection becomes more flaky (not this may not be the problem, just the experience I've had, along with a few others...)

I managed 36 mpg on a 150 mile motorway cruise at 55 mph.

Expect 31 mpg for 70-80 mph cruise, 21-23 mpg towing, or 23-26 mpg around town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom