Thinking of hanging up the leathers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
No this isn't an S&M thread... more of early mid life crisis :D

My bike, a BMW R1100SS is getting less and less use and is sitting in the drive waiting for a long overdue clean, service and brake refurb.. MOT is due in March as is insurance renewal..

I use it fairly regularly for going to meetings in town but that's about it.

Last time Mrs B and I used it for a tour was over 3 years ago. Last time I went for a ride for fun was over 2 years ago. Last time I used it to leave London was last summer (I'd forgotten how uncomfortable a bike gets on a long haul :eek:). Turning up for meetings looking like a courier is starting to get a bit tedious as well.. even though the ride is always entertaining.

I've had the bike since 2003, done some 35k+ on it and had many really memorable trips and experiences on it. When I ride it for fun I love it, but it just never seems to happen, work + a rolling flat refurbishment + 1 toddler + another due in July.. seem to intervene. There is also the impending pressure of space in the flat (paddock stands, panniers, 3 helmets, boots and various outer garments take up a surprising amount of room..)

There is also the spectre of quitting whilst ahead - I got knocked off for the first time 2 summers ago in London and escaped without a scratch and a full payout from the offending driver - and had a spectacular near miss (not my fault of course;)) last time I rode any distance due to an old giffer with poor observation skills.

I'll get the bike fettled in anycase as it needs it to keep/sell or whatever. It owes nothing and is not worth a vast amount due to its age, mileage and condition but I can't decide whether to keep it as an oversized scooter, sorn it in March and chuck a cover over it for some time in the future, or just get rid and become a born again in 18 years :D.

Now I know that there are plenty of (ex.) bikers on here so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Ade

Well I'm afriad that I am not a biker but suggest you'd be mad to give it up (although it reads as though you have already decided). If you enjoy it then keep it even if its just maybe 12 good rides in a year. Maybe you need to be a bit more proactive in planning runs on it.:dk:

I know exactly where you are coming from... I have just SORNed mine for the second year running.
Wife has lost interest (aka got scared) and wont go on the back anymore.
I just cant be bothered to put all of the kit on just to be be uncomfortable and sweat throughout the whole journey.
It is just easier to get in the car, listen to music, dress comfortably, A/C etc...

Its hard to let go because I have had many enjoyable years of riding but I have decided this year is it; I am going to give it a good clean get it serviced and safety checked and sell it.

ZZR1100 anyone?

I'd wait until spring and then go out for a ride down to box hill or somewhere while the sun is shining - then decide what you want to do.

that said, I recon a lot of your feelings might be down to the sensible choice of bike you have [boring]. Go and book a test drive on a 990 SMT at your local KTM shop and you might find you'll have a renewed interest in bikes once you re-establish the excitement again.

About six or so months ago, I was also thinking of getting rid of the bike, due to lack of use. It takes up room in the garage, it takes forever to put on the appropriate gear on. It's much simpler and quicker to take the car.

However, I've got six years no-claims bonus (which took me quite a while to accure - six years in fact!), and I spent quite a bit of money on my bike keeping it well maintained with a full Honda service history (42,000 miles), using super unleaded, regular oil/filter changes.

I don't think I'll get rid of it, as with the car, it's worth more to me than what it's worth on the market, I don't want to sell a good, reliable bike, and being a Honda, there's plenty of miles left in it.

To encourage me to keep the bike and enjoy riding it, I'm currently doing Rospa on it, which gives me an incentive to get out on the bike, and use it!

I also think having another vehicle as a back up in case something happens to the car is reassuring.

Well I'm afriad that I am not a biker but suggest you'd be mad to give it up (although it reads as though you have already decided). If you enjoy it then keep it even if its just maybe 12 good rides in a year. Maybe you need to be a bit more proactive in planning runs on it.:dk:
This guy doesn't ride and can see the madness! Don't do it man! I had a brush with DVLA, they basically took my bike licence away without any reason. I sent my Licence off for a change of details and got it back minus my bike licence... DVLA won't do anything about it as I don't have copies of my licence or test certificate... Not even 6 years NCD on a 500cc bike would convince them to give it back? So I'm forced to suffer the humiliation of riding an "L" plated 125cc bike to keep my riding skills up to scratch, and do it all over again this year before the make it even more difficult for people to pass. Don't for get, a person has to pass 4 tests to be able ride a bike now...

So my advice to you would be, don't give up riding... It will be the biggest mistake of your life...

I quit when we had our daughter as my skills on a 600cc sports bike were not all there.....
I loved it for the summer riding, the sunday morning blast on the A272 but other than that commuting was a no no due to a suit.

In the end I sold the bike due to lack of use and mounting cost such as you have mentioned, perhaps I will buy a Harley purly as a toy in the future, who knows.

I know how you feel about not riding again.

I took my direct access in 2003, I passed and went out and bought a brand new GSXR 600 in blue and white. I did 3000 miles in 3 years including California superbike day at Rockingham.

When we moved here we sold our house and brought everything out here except the bike.

It's now in my mums garage, 6 years old with 3100 miles on in absolutely pertect condition.

My bro-in-law (Ducati rider) takes it for a spin every now and then.

WillI sell it, probably not.

I know how you feel about not riding again.

I took my direct access in 2003, I passed and went out and bought a brand new GSXR 600 in blue and white. I did 3000 miles in 3 years including California superbike day at Rockingham.

When we moved here we sold our house and brought everything out here except the bike.

It's now in my mums garage, 6 years old with 3100 miles on in absolutely pertect condition.

My bro-in-law (Ducati rider) takes it for a spin every now and then.

WillI sell it, probably not.

You should ride it down to Greece in spring and double the mileage. :rock:

I did think about it but it is so uncomfortable I have to get off it every 2-3 hours. Journey would take ages.

The one road we have here is pretty good but nowhere can anybody get over 70mph.

We have a 50cc scooter with a plastic crate on the back. No helmet, shorts and it's possible to answer the mobile whilst on the move!!

There are 2 brand new Hayabusas on the island!!

... good replies, thanks guys.

Forward Planning - (Hahahahahahahha!) do it for a living for other people... cobbler's shoes and all that :D Good answer though

Rospa - have signed up for a police course in the past and never got round to it. Rospa is a good idea, will give that one some thought.

Bike too boring ;) - I had a Fireblade for a hire bike replacement, frightened me round town - never took it out to test it :eek:... I had a race prepped R6 track bike for 3 years. Did loads of trackdays and realised that the amount of bike performance which can be reasonably applied to the road is very little if you want to live a long life. Got as far as sitting with an Aprillia dealer on a whim last spring and going through figures on a Mille R.. but actually the pipe and slippers BMW is fine with me from that point of view - I even like the design and its not slow. Since becoming a Dad, the urge to hoon has diminished anyway.

The back up point is good given my other principle transport is 19 this spring.

I've got the opportunity for a wee trip this Easter (Mrs B going away with Junior B to see family) - might plan something for sunnier climes..

More money :doh:

Keeping bike 1, getting rid 0

Cheers

Ade

This guy doesn't ride and can see the madness! Don't do it man! I had a brush with DVLA, they basically took my bike licence away without any reason. I sent my Licence off for a change of details and got it back minus my bike licence... DVLA won't do anything about it as I don't have copies of my licence or test certificate... Not even 6 years NCD on a 500cc bike would convince them to give it back? So I'm forced to suffer the humiliation of riding an "L" plated 125cc bike to keep my riding skills up to scratch, and do it all over again this year before the make it even more difficult for people to pass. Don't for get, a person has to pass 4 tests to be able ride a bike now...

So my advice to you would be, don't give up riding... It will be the biggest mistake of your life...

Oops - I should have said I don't ride because I'm a wheelchair user :crazy:

Last edited:
I think race bikes are out - also too boring as you can't go fast anymore due to the cameras everywhere and frankly if you're not going like a bat out of hell on a sports bike they are really really bland as they do everything so well and theres just nothing to do.

The KTM 990 SM is a completely different thrill though - even at near legal speeds. Backing into corners, wheelying out from the apex, drifts stoppies all with absolute ease like you suddenly become a riding god overnight.

You really ought to try one. :D

I think race bikes are out - also too boring as you can't go fast anymore due to the cameras everywhere and frankly if you're not going like a bat out of hell on a sports bike they are really really bland as they do everything so well and theres just nothing to do.

The KTM 990 SM is a completely different thrill though - even at near legal speeds. Backing into corners, wheelying out from the apex, drifts stoppies all with absolute ease like you suddenly become a riding god overnight.

You really ought to try one. :D

Don't tempt me - its either get rid or just keep, not buy another :D

Actually most fun I had on a bike in recent years was off roading in Indonesia on a crooked 125 crosser - even falling off was amusing. I'll have to dig out the pics..

Ade

Nooooo! You'll regret it forever.

Until last year I was an all weather rider but age and an MB means I only ride March - October now. I do spend quite a few weekends away with mates and a couple of bike rallies a year so even though it spends considerable time in the garage I wouldn't part with it.

Oops - I should have said I don't ride because I'm a wheelchair user :crazy:
Your Kidding? I really hope you are?

... good replies, thanks guys.

Forward Planning - (Hahahahahahahha!) do it for a living for other people... cobbler's shoes and all that :D Good answer though

Rospa - have signed up for a police course in the past and never got round to it. Rospa is a good idea, will give that one some thought.

Bike too boring ;) - I had a Fireblade for a hire bike replacement, frightened me round town - never took it out to test it :eek:... I had a race prepped R6 track bike for 3 years. Did loads of trackdays and realised that the amount of bike performance which can be reasonably applied to the road is very little if you want to live a long life. Got as far as sitting with an Aprillia dealer on a whim last spring and going through figures on a Mille R.. but actually the pipe and slippers BMW is fine with me from that point of view - I even like the design and its not slow. Since becoming a Dad, the urge to hoon has diminished anyway.

The back up point is good given my other principle transport is 19 this spring.

I've got the opportunity for a wee trip this Easter (Mrs B going away with Junior B to see family) - might plan something for sunnier climes..

More money :doh:

Keeping bike 1, getting rid 0

Cheers

Ade

Wise man....

Last edited:
I've been going through a similar "crisis" regarding keeping or selling the bike.

I've had a bike of some sort or another for the last 34 years and still enjoy riding immensely in the right conditions, but over the last couple of years I've found that I don't get around to riding it as often as I should to keep my skills honed. In all honesty, most of my mileage in the last ten years has been on touring holidays and I'm starting to question the wisdom of not riding that much before loading the bike up with luggage and wife, and heading off for a 2,000+ mile tour every year.

I've had this bike from new in 2002, it's covered 42,000 miles, has a full Honda Service History and is in superb condition - but it's not worth that much. I don't need to release the money that's tied up in it, and I'm not that fussed about the garage space either, so there's no pressing need to sell. To help me decide whether I want to keep it or not, Angie bought an SLK350 last year and we're going to do a touring holiday in it in Spain later this year. In the meantime, I'll keep the bike hooked up to an Optimate in the garage...

Your Kidding? I really hope you are?

Not kidding - but it doesn't stop me enjoying much (apart from motorbiking riding hence the post (ie use/enjoy stuff while you can)!

23092009BrandsHatch_0304_edited-web.jpg

I'd keep the bike! I know how you feel as I did less motorcycling last year than anytime I can remember and some of my friends are in similar situations. One of them felt very much like the OP. He has now given up biking and went for an MX5 as a a 'toy'. He absolutely loves it!

Me - at the moment I just can't envisage life without two wheels, whether a motorcycle or a bicycle.

My CBR1100 was bought new in 1998 and I won't part with it. It has been all over Europe and holds lots of happy (and some very high speed) touring memories for me. It is worth next to nothing 2nd hand, so I don't mind keeping hold of it. It is just great to get out on the bike now and again to feel real performance.

My sunny day 'bimbling around' bike is a Triumph Thunderbird 900 - and I never get tired listening to the three cylinder engine note just ambling round country roads. Over many years I've had the opportunity to drive some really excellent cars, but no four wheeled vehicle has ever put a smile on my face the way a bike can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom