Thinking of jumping ship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
I've been giving serious thought to ditching the SL for a 2009/2010 Range Rover TDV8 now that the new model is out the older shape is becoming quite reasonable at around the £30k mark so could sell up and finance the rest.

What are peoples opinions on the last of the older shape Range Rovers?, I think they still look quite fresh with the facelift and Electronic spedometer etc, obviously I would really love a new model but couldn't afford it, so a 3/4 Year old one is the next best thing.

Their both great cars but in different ways, the SL is much more fun but a Range Rover is more comfortable and dare I say it economical:eek:.

Depends if its a proper Range Rover or a sport. I wouldn't bother if its the latter. The Vogue shape is such a good all rounder to be fair especially with the TDV8 engine but it is no SL.

Being made by Land Rover expect problems later on in its life the L322 shape suffers from gearbox woes, diff problems, electrical issues, suspension problems etc... they are all pretty well published but they are bloody easy to fix as long as it doesn't go to Land Rover as they charge an arm and a leg. Your relationship with a Range Rover is a bit like a marriage you love it one minute and hate it the next. To truly appreciate it and to be amazed turn off the road onto the nearest dirty stuff and be truly amazed!

I've actually had an L322 in the past although an early 4.4 Petrol one, I wouldn't get the Sport it has to be the big one.

The thing with the SL is, I really love driving it, the power,the noise etc but I rarely get the opportunity to drive it properly as I spend most of my time driving around town and I'm starting to think is it worth suffering 13-15 MPG for the occasional smile I get to enjoy, particularly as I own a bike that I find more exhilarating to ride and it's certainly much faster.
The Range Rover is a very different sort of car but it's relaxing and an incredibly nice place to be.

My two business partners have recently gone from Jag XF (bloke age 64+) and Audi S5 ragtop (girl mid 40's) respectively to diesel RRs, and they both love them.

I've actually had an L322 in the past although an early 4.4 Petrol one, I wouldn't get the Sport it has to be the big one.

The thing with the SL is, I really love driving it, the power,the noise etc but I rarely get the opportunity to drive it properly as I spend most of my time driving around town and I'm starting to think is it worth suffering 13-15 MPG for the occasional smile I get to enjoy, particularly as I own a bike that I find more exhilarating to ride and it's certainly much faster.
The Range Rover is a very different sort of car but it's relaxing and an incredibly nice place to be.

It is a hard decision but if you have a bike something like a RR would be good. My Mrs wants an L322 so we are in the market for an 05 plate ish with a V8. Her last RR we used to use it to get the horse in from the field when you couldn't be assed to track him down.

I cant praise enough the RRS I bought my partner recently. Make sure you get a 2010 > car with the interior facelift. It is a MASSIVE improvement over the pre facelift cars.

We have the v6 diesel HSE (pictures somewhere in the defectors forums).

1 month in to ownership I am getting 29.4mpg average and have driven it twice as much as my AMG....

The facelift Sports have such nicer interiors compared to the early ones, I do like the Sport but there isn't a huge amount of price difference between a 2010 Sport and a late 2009/early 2010 Vogue, I really like their Metallic Grey on both cars too.

a neighbour who we eat out with regularly has a 2010 Vogue - to me the interior feels dated , albeit luxurious, in comparison to the RRS facelift one. Massive size difference in the two though in the back.

The RRS has made me want to change the C63 again, which I nearly did after 6 months originally.

I personally think the interior of the Facelift Vogue and Sport are both really nice.
Have you seen the new Full Fat and Sport?, they've really moved things on again and I think they both look great, although given a choice between those two it would be the Full Fat, the new Sport looks great, everywhere but the back of it which looks to Evoque ish to me.
Sadly both are well out of my price range :(.

The facelift RR Sport is a far superior vehicle to the L322; the Sport feels very up-to-date whereas there are still clues as to how old the design is/was in the FFRR. The Sport also handles better on the road and there's very little in it when they're off-road.

Although having said all that, that balance has swung the other way with the arrival of the new models, I doubt many people will buy the Sport brand new when the FF is only a few pennies more. Strange timing from LR, I'd have thought they wouldn't have released the Sport for another couple if years.

Having driven a 2008 V8 diesel full fat Rangie, I found it much less comfortable and roomy than my E55K.

Disappointed as I was expecting more.

I can't compare an SL though as I've never driven one.

Can't believe there are so many lovers of the RR, especially when the OP has an SL.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the RR thing unless you are a farmer and need 4 wheel drive.

They are butt ugly boxes, I am not really sure what they do well!

Was thinking of RR after selling X3, but after reading all reviews from buyers: what car, auto trader, etc etc I was put off... I realised i didn't do much mileage in my X3, never utilised the 4 wheel drive, used the boot except for shopping and pushchair and realised E55 could workout a much better deal.... Even with the MPG it gave... So far right decision in my mind... However I still like the look of all the 2003+ RR'S and prefer them to the BMW'S, even Merc 4x4.... Its good prescrnce when seen pounding down the M1

Sent from my Apple Mobile Device using MBClub UK

Having driven a 2008 V8 diesel full fat Rangie, I found it much less comfortable and roomy than my E55K.

Disappointed as I was expecting more.

I can't compare an SL though as I've never driven one.

I'm trying to remember as I had my E55 straight after I had a 2003 RR, the E55 is definatly more spacious inside than the SL but would say the RR beats it on comfort and space.

Can't believe there are so many lovers of the RR, especially when the OP has an SL.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the RR thing unless you are a farmer and need 4 wheel drive.

They are butt ugly boxes, I am not really sure what they do well!

Their one of those cars you either 'get' or you don't really, there's something when you're driving one that is relaxing, it's one of those few cars where I don't angrily hit the steering wheel with my hands after 2 minutes in a traffic jam.
Don't get me wrong I love AMGs,Porsches,Audis etc but if I had to pick only one model of car to drive ever again it would likely be the Range Rover.

Plenty of poke from the TDV8 but with minimal lag. Sounds surprisingly good when idling and when accelerating too. I dare say it sounds better than the older shape 4.6 petrols.

If it's a full fat RR with the TDV8, you'll be very happy. The interior is luxurious, vast and well built (but not as agricultural and rugged as the Disco's)

Plenty of poke from the TDV8 but with minimal lag. Sounds surprisingly good when idling and when accelerating too. I dare say it sounds better than the older shape 4.6 petrols.

If it's a full fat RR with the TDV8, you'll be very happy. The interior is luxurious, vast and well built (but not as agricultural and rugged as the Disco's)

Sorry again, it doesn't!

Neighbour has one and it sounds like a delivery van, it is a horrible sound. It is a diesel!

I really am missing the point here fellas!

Cheers

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom