Thinking of returning to the fold. Sort of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robby

Car
Smart Roadster
I took a smart roadster out for a test drive yesterday.

It was fun. An indecent amount of fun in fact, that back end loves to kick out.

So I'm giving serious though to buying one, but I've never bought a new or even vaguely new car before.

The lowest prices in the dealership are about 11-12k for a pre-reg one, the lowest price on the net I've found is a little under 10k from virgin cars for a pre reg one. These a normal roadster coupes, base spec but not the lite. I'd also go for the optional extra audio package, but thats it.

So how do I go about buying a new car? Buy from the broker, haggle with the dealership, something else? Is there a really good broker out there that I don't know about.

Also they seem to hold their value rather well, can I expect it to depreciate horribly in a year or two when they are a bit more commonplace.

Robby, far be it from me to say this, but stick with a "nice" car, you know, the one you already have. ;)

<sorry guys / gals.... this wine is sure good>

Robby said:
Also they seem to hold their value rather well, can I expect it to depreciate horribly in a year or two when they are a bit more commonplace.

I think smartbrabus on here might have some advice for you, before you go and buy a new one !! I'm sure he'll be along shortly !

S.

Don't buy a new one. Especially not from a dealer!!! Unless you're happy to lose 40-50% in the first 18 months that is... DCUK have screwed the residuals by overpriceing them to begin with, then when they realise they f***ed up and aren't making any money ('cos not many people are buying them at those astronomical prices) they panic and try to offload the '04 models they've got sitting around...

Don't know who told you they hold their value well (the stealer probably) but you can get low mileage 2003 examples of the spec you are after for around £7-8k s/h.

My advice is not to buy new even at the lower prices they are now offering them for.

P.S. don't bother with the lite, you'll always regret not getting the full fat one!

P.P.S don't bother with the sound upgrade, I had it on mine and it was no better than the standard audio.

Last edited:
ah right. 7k secondhand sounds much better.

Where are they advertised? Do people sell cars in places other than autotrader nowadays?

As for my nice car now, I'm currently in a '96 ford scorpio 2.3. Its broken down twice in as many months, and I'm getting 24 to the gallon.

Sorry Robby, I took your car to be a 2.6 190E as advertised in your avitar. Whoops, looks like I missed something here :crazy:

Try Ebay - there have been several around that price in the last few weeks. 2003 left hookers normally go for around 7k.

Make sure you get one that doesn't leak (most of them do). Check air con works if fitted, manifold isn't cracked and no strange noises from the timing chain.

ah yes- must change the profile. The 190E was a very expensive mistake.

Smartbrabus - timing chain and manifold stuff doesn't sound hugely promising, what are they like to own long term. Do they break an awful lot?

Lowest I've been seeing right hand drive ones advertised for is 8k with nearly 30k miles, and mostly around the 9k mark over that. I'll keep an eye out though. Lowest new price I've seen was £9899 from virgin cars, 03 model year pre registered in 2005 on a 54 plate.

smartbrabus said:
Try Ebay - there have been several around that price in the last few weeks. 2003 left hookers normally go for around 7k.

Make sure you get one that doesn't leak (most of them do). Check air con works if fitted, manifold isn't cracked and no strange noises from the timing chain.

Well, reading that wouldnt fill me with much confidance :eek:

The manifold is a known weak point on all smart engines its been strengthened on later cars but is still prone to stress fractures.- ask Jimmy! If it goes you're looking at a new turbo/manifold.

Lots of roadster owners have reported leaking door seals, Smart have redesigned the seals and have a fix available, but its on a case by case basis and if they can get out of it, they will. I was lucky and had a leak free one!

Most of the "issues" I had were with the dealer service, which is generally very poor. Its for this reason alone that I find it difficult to recommend a new/nearly new smart.

For info, I sold my August 2003 11,000 mile RHD roadster with sport pack, safety pack, sound pack and air con for £9k last week. That represents a £6.5k loss on new price.

Last edited:
Thats quite a hit. Do the extras add much resale value?

Sounds like a bit of a mercedes as a far as dealerships go.

When you have a car under warranty can you get the warranty work done at any garage, or does it have to be at the place you bought it from?

I'll keep my eye on the secondhand market over the next month and see what pops up. Hopefully the new plates coming out soon will pressure people into selling.

Thanks for all the help.

Extras rarely add much value. Air con is a must though (standard on the roadster-coupe I believe). You can get warranty work done at any dealer, but its only a 2 year warranty now - used to be 3 years in the good old days...

For servicing you will be paying mercedes labour rates now, so expect £150 for a minor service, £350 for a major service. Might be worth bearing in mind the service interval for roadsters is shorter than normal smarts - 7,000 miles vs 9,000 miles. Another customer-fleecing exercise!

Sorry if this all sounds a bit bitter and twisted :D

I was planning on avoiding aircon - surely if its hot you can just open the roof. I always see it as another thing to go wrong, and in this case another load on a rather small engine.

Is the fuel economy as good as they state, or is it more like 40mpg in reality?

I dont know much about the Roadster but a fair bit about Smarts, well how to re-build and replace the engines actually. They are not built to last terribly well. We run 2 and they have both had piston ring failure, seized engines, blown turbo manifolds, clutch problems and now electrical/central locking problems.

It seems that whatever happens to one of them, happens to the other soon after!! Our first Smart is on its 2nd engine and 4th Turbo, the second Smart is on its 2nd engine and heading for its 3rd and is on it's 3rd Turbo, even the modified Turbos fail!!

Saying all that, we are very pleased with them, they are still more economical to run compared to a commercial vehicle. Ours do get a very hard life, they must do in the region of 600-800 miles a week if not more and they do on average 50mpg.

Personally I would not want one unless like ours somebody else is maintaining them.

Robby said:
I was planning on avoiding aircon - surely if its hot you can just open the roof. I always see it as another thing to go wrong, and in this case another load on a rather small engine.

Is the fuel economy as good as they state, or is it more like 40mpg in reality?
Air con is more useful in the winter when you cant keep the windows clear. Not sure what the roof on the roadster is made of, but next time it rains, keep you eyes out for an old MX5 (never had air con) they will nearly always be steamed up :(

Ian B Walker said:
.... I took your car to be a 2.6 190E as advertised in your avitar ...

Me too ! I would have been interested in it :eek:

K

Having read what i have on this thread. I think id steer well clear of them Robby.

Stu

Certainly a difficult choice. I like the low fuel consumption and driving one is fun. I certainly wouldn't want to be keeping one outside of warranty, but I get bored of cars quick enough so I'dbe wanting to change after a year anyway.

One to think on. I still want one, but it could be a big mistake. My current insurance policy runs until 4th april anyway.

Going to the smart dealership in bristol tomorrow to look at, and likely put a deposit down on, a roadster.

Black on black, no extras, £8250.

The dealerships are happy to sell them brand new for 10k, so anyone else that paid list price might have a bit of a shock when they come to sell.

Now I need to dispose of the scorpio. This could be tricky, and any trade in offers will be offensive.

Robby said:
Going to the smart dealership in bristol tomorrow to look at, and likely put a deposit down on, a roadster.

Black on black, no extras, £8250.

The dealerships are happy to sell them brand new for 10k, so anyone else that paid list price might have a bit of a shock when they come to sell.

Now I need to dispose of the scorpio. This could be tricky, and any trade in offers will be offensive.

Is that new :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!

Have a bannana :bannana: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom