Thinking of selling my E55K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icarus51

Car
E55 AMG 2003
Hi all,
I've been an avid follower of this forum ever since I became the proud owner of an E55 AMG Kompressor 7 years ago. Never really posted much but have always read the posts here. I have come to the decision that I can no longer keep the E55 as I drive it so little it seems a shame for it to be sat on the drive and perhaps taken out 1 or 2 times a month. I'm sure there are members out there who would treat it with more respect than I can now.
What I would like from you is some indication of what you think it is worth.
It currently has 203000 miles on the clock with a FSH (2 service books) has always had Mobil1 at oil changes, 2 new tyres on the rear and new disks and pads on the front. It is Tanzanite blue, with blue/black leather interior.
It has had a Eurocharged remap (done at CKS in Watford) with a 77mm supercharger pulley and K & N panel filters. I have spent a small fortune looking after it. I have an A4 wallet full of invoices for all the items bought for it during my ownership.
I really would appreciate some objective comments.

Cheers All

Tony

One with 197k miles at £7k, it's been up for sale for quite a few months.

What sort of money would you be happy to except for it? The problem being if it's worth to much to you then keep it for the fun days!!

A 2004 E55K saloon with 100k and FSH is around the £8k mark, but those with over 200k miles are so few and far between it's hard to value definitively. What year/plate is yours btw?

My 130k mileage CLS had two service books... All depends on miles per annum ..

I bought one last November (an estate though), theres a few for sale now that were still for sale when i was looking at the end of last summer.

Without seeing it/knowing much about it as in what jobs need doing etc I think a realistic sale price of around £6k?

thanks for the input

To answer some of the questions
Its a 2003 model, a saloon
Yes it does have 2 service booklets, the first one is full of stamps
Yes that is the genuine mileage
Everything on the car works
It has let me down once in 7 years when a crankshaft position sensor failed

I've seen some models for sale at £8K and above and I appreciate the high mileage might put some people off, but this engine is bullet proof. I was thinking of asking around £7.5K do you feel thats too much?

TIA

Tony

I think that's a fair asking price with the mileage... id aim a little higher as any buyer will want to knock you down a little

Condition is key and a brief heads up on specification helps. On a positive you have some notable spend items over and above standard such as the 77mm pulley mods and a couple of rear tyres. For anyone on the lookout for an E55 who was intending to up the power then you've saved them a few pounds already.

Jules

I think 6.5-6.9k if it was in nice condition. I know these engine are reliable, But most say they use abit of oil and at 200k regardless whether it does or not perspective buyers maybe concerned.

I think 6.5-6.9k if it was in nice condition. I know these engine are reliable, But most say they use abit of oil and at 200k regardless whether it does or not perspective buyers maybe concerned.

Neither of my E55Ks have used any oil between services, both over 100k miles - in fact my current one is on 150K+ now, seems to go better than ever nowadays.

In fact my CLK55 (NA M113) never seemed to use any oil either. Big unstressed engines really, generally considered bulletproof if not messed about with and I've seen plenty of E55Ks with 100k+ and quite a few with 150-200k and more.

Compared to the other issues these cars can have I'd be pretty relaxed about the engine personally. Suspension, brakes, electronics etc probably more likely to give trouble and they can affect any car regardless of mileage to be fair :eek: :thumb:

Regards the value, I'd say the people who are put off by the mileage wouldn't buy it regardless of price, no need to give it away.

I'd focus on a concise but detailed advert outlining the condition and fault free nature of the car. Someone who appreciates the car for the condition would probably pay fair money for it.

Very few E55Ks these days for sub £8k so I'd start there, you can always negotiate down :)

200k might sound a lot but they've all pretty much done 100k+ miles these days and the they're all old cars now (12/14 years old etc). Even between two 100k milers the condition can vary considerably depending on how they've been looked after :thumb:

Like you nor does mine, But there are quite a few on here that have, And that was certainly a factor i looked for when i was buying one.

I've seen some models for sale at £8K and above and I appreciate the high mileage might put some people off, but this engine is bullet proof. I was thinking of asking around £7.5K do you feel thats too much?

I don't think you'd be too far away at that price, you can always drop the price, although there is one on AT at the minute with 197k miles on for £6,995. There's also a few up with dealers around the £8-9k mark with half your mileage, I know people may say they buy on condition but mileage is still the number one way in which a car gets its value.

Also worth keeping in mind that it's the buyers who dictate the market, not current owners of said model who will always talk the value up.

Given how mine was running on just over 100k, I can well imagine it runs fine.

I'm sure we've had a moon-mileage, or getting on for, CLS55 on here still running fine.

Condition and how well it is running, as well as provenance, should get you a reasonable price.

Arguably it could be placed at the same level as lower mileage examples but without good history / provenance.

They seem to put hardly any pages into my E55 service book - perhaps they had little faith that they would last that long! Our 2012 Juke has loads but has already had a failed gearbox once at 22k so I'm not sure about the longivity of it.

Many thanks for all the helpful advice given, I really appreciate it. I understand the need for a more concise description, highlighting the positives of the car. Listing all that has been done would end up with a long list! I have never skimped on the maintenance and really want the car to go to someone who would appreciate a superb car. Where would be the best place to advertise it in your opinion?

Tony

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Start with an advert on here with your plenty of information and photos and see what interest you get. Also where you're located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom