Thinking of selling the C43

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SarahAnn200

Car
CLA35 shooting brake
Never thought I would think this about my dream car but it's just not being used. It's our second car anyway and usually end up taking the other one but I've only driven 2k miles since buying it in October. It seems silly sitting there not being used. I could free some cash up and put it to another buy to let flat and still have a newish car to keep driving.
Anyone else bought their dream car and then not used it? I saw another chap on the detailing site had sold his c63 and it's got me thinking.
It's a lovely car with all sorts on it and I love it when I drive it but it hardly moves. Seems such a waste

Never thought I would think this about my dream car but it's just not being used. It's our second car anyway and usually end up taking the other one but I've only driven 2k miles since buying it in October. It seems silly sitting there not being used. I could free some cash up and put it to another buy to let flat and still have a newish car to keep driving.
Anyone else bought their dream car and then not used it? I saw another chap on the detailing site had sold his c63 and it's got me thinking.
It's a lovely car with all sorts on it and I love it when I drive it but it hardly moves. Seems such a waste

I’m glad it’s not just me. Bought a A45 Sept 2019 and I’ve done a total of.....wait for it .....1k miles in twelves months. I’ve never used the windscreen wipers or the headlights :doh:. Took it for a service in June and had to laugh at MB because they told me I needed new front wipers:) I’ve still got 3 years warranty left on it:banana: Don‘t think it will last that long.

I haven't even seen the ambient lighting as it hasn't been out in the dark. Glad it's not just me.
I thought that I would keep it forever, even bought a personal AMG plate for it but it's just sat there. You've beaten my 2k miles. I thought that was bad. It's not lockdown either as I never do many miles.

The wife has just bought her first MB, It's a CLS 250,2013 model and she absolutely loves it. Trouble is her previously much loved MG ZT 2.5 is now sat on the drive gathering dust and looking lonely.

My Porsche did 350 miles last year. Wasn’t even me that drove it because my licence has expired.

I used to run a bi turbo 5.5 sl63.
Hardly used it, loved it and cherished it.
But it was unnecessary, I've ticked the box.
Gone to a slightly newer c class 250d which does everything I want.
All I miss is the status.....if people are honest thats what most people miss.

You cant really use these cars to their potential in the UK.

It was my 3rd c class and my dream car. I used to have a 2018 c250d estate a couple of cars ago and I should have kept that really. I love the sound of the v6 but you are right, it's not really needed travelling in 30 and 60 limits as i do and the journeys I do, it's wasted on me. Been looking at other estates to see what is out there

Pity about that, SarahAnn,
It's a lovely motor, but if it doesn't suit your needs, then fair enough. :) 👍

I've just bought a C43 AMG and love driving the car. It is not my daily drive, so I guess I will be in the same low mileage boat eventually but for the moment I plan to enjoy it whilst the sun is shining. My previous W204 did 3000 miles in three years of ownership but the 3 litre diesel was a pleasure to drive until they were outlawed :(

As with most cars , the problems start to occur when they are not driven.

I was lucky enough to be stationed in West Germany for 16 years when I was in the forces. The Autobahns were brilliant, I once did 150 MPH on a Kawasaki Z1300. Mercedes and BMW,
were the order of the day then and they would fly past you at incredible speeds. BTW, I still own the motorbike.

It was my 3rd c class and my dream car. I used to have a 2018 c250d estate a couple of cars ago and I should have kept that really. I love the sound of the v6 but you are right, it's not really needed travelling in 30 and 60 limits as i do and the journeys I do, it's wasted on me. Been looking at other estates to see what is out there

I would have expected you to be selling the A35 as you clearly prefer the C43.

My old C250d premium plus 4matic visited me last night..... Still a lovely looking car. But as it new owner agreed the A class interior is way beyond it.

20200901_184143.jpg

There's no way the "A" class interior is way beyond the "C" class , you've got the AMG interior , you need to compare like with like and take your rose tinted specs off.

Dont sell up, you won't have use for all your detailing products you have ecumilated over the years ;)

I would have expected you to be selling the A35 as you clearly prefer the C43.

My old C250d premium plus 4matic visited me last night..... Still a lovely looking car. But as it new owner agreed the A class interior is way beyond it.

View attachment 101627
The a35 is my partner's and suits him as he likes hatchbacks. The c43 is mine and an estate. He doesn't do estates. I prefer the c43 to the a35 in every way but we are all different. If I do sell, I will probably get another estate.

Pity about that, SarahAnn,
It's a lovely motor, but if it doesn't suit your needs, then fair enough. :) 👍
It might not happen, I might keep it but it seems such a waste to sit there. I moved it to clean it yesterday but didn't take it out anywhere

This is why I've refrained from buying cars I want as a second car and made changes to cars as my only car.

I'd love a Maserati Granturismo, Caterham 620S, AMG GTR etc. to use as well but I know I'd use my S500 most of the time as I love it for everything else it brings to the table that those three don't (i.e. plenty).

It depends where you live but with the right roads you can use a hell of a lot of the potential of fast cars.

I am addicted to speed and I used to "stretch legs" quite a lot of the time as we have a lot of A Roads and dual carriageways around here but I was always in tricky territory and always on the lookout for the rozzers.

There's no way the "A" class interior is way beyond the "C" class , you've got the AMG interior , you need to compare like with like and take your rose tinted specs off.

My old C250d with full black porus wood and in premium plus spec is no different to an AMG inside (except if the car had performance seats) . I had also added the AMG wheel and official dash decal so I can compare like for like.

Where I am being unfair is that the A class got the latest interior before any other car. The C Class is literally about to be replaced as its 6 years old so I'm not comparing like for like from a period of design. But side by side a 2016 fully loaded C class does look very old compared to the 2020MY A class. No matter the spec.

I would think carefully about which will cost the most, keeping it and using it less than you expected when you bought it - the world was a lot different back then - or change it and use the new car about as much! Then consider whether the extra cost is worth it - whichever way works out more expensive.

The trouble with changing is you’ll take a hit on selling it - even privately, and definitely as a part-exchange or WBAC - and you’ll pay the dealers margin, sales person’s bonus and associated prep fees and other costs on your next car, assuming you buy from a dealer.

Thwre’a nothing wrong with taking that hit (or double hit) or if it’s what you really want to do, but you may find that it offsets the cost of keeping your C43. You may find that the extra cost is less than you think, and worth it to drive your dream car.

Most of us are in a similar position, we’re just not doing the mileage we used to do pre-COVID. Until mid-July our cars only went to the supermarket, and some only turned a wheel once in 4 months. Our main car did 115 miles in that time, but it’s done 2910 miles in the last 6 weeks because we’ve been on holiday for the last 6 weeks. Now we’re back that will fall through the floor again.

I did 2000 miles in the GT so far this year and 3000 miles in the C350 since October last year. However, I spent 8 months out of the country since last October, and have paid storage for them both, but I won't sell either of them anytime soon. If circumstances change then my attitude might change. I am fortunate as at work I don't have to spend my own dollar on living expenses, so the little lavish excess is easily justified.

Hardly any difference to be honest apart from a couple of AMG badges ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom