Thinking to buy an SLK200-selling Boxster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Candy

Car
SLK 200
Hi
I've had a Porsche Boxster 2.7 04 plate for the last year and as much as I adore the car, driving experience etc because I only go back to and from work in it - clogged roads etc - I know that I'm not using the car to it's full advantage and driving experience.

The only other 2 cars I'm interested in - both convertible's are the SLK and Mazda MX5 coupe convertible.

2 similar cars in one way but differences in price for understood reasons.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking out for - looking for late 2007 early 2008 plate

I read somewhere that cars registered after Apr2008 had some improvements made to them re making them more economical....any opinions.

Your experience would be very helpful
Many thanks

Would an SLK350 be a better bet. A 2.7 boxtser is more powerful than an SLK200?

Of course the question of budget comes up? How much are you able/willing to spend.

Welcome, and stick around.

As *** says, an SLK200 will seem a tad lethargic compared to the Boxster. Its not a sports car its more of a cruiser. Drive one before you commit yourself. I think you will find you will desire something with a bigger engine. Unless of course that is what you want.
Auto box is a MUST. Leather, COMAND, auto wipers, are all nice extras. As are Xenons and parktronic. FMBSH is also a must on such a young car.
Economy on the 1.8 supercharged engine will be good. Alot better than your Boxster. My C200K has the same engine and I get about 34mpg average around town and up to 43mpg on a coast run. And thats with an auto box. Performance is "adequate" for me, but you might want something a bit more responsive. It will reach and cruise at 100mph with consumate ease.

Lots of useful info here................
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_SLK-Class

Last edited:
Thanks - what does COMAND stand for

Hey, thanks for that link, I've printed it off and will have a good look.

I do enjoy feeling a bit of throttle under my foot but it doesn't have to be mega quick.

The Porsche has been great but I don't think I appreciate it for what it actually is. I want a good looking car, that you can put the roof down, known for excellent quality etc that does move but doesn't have to be massively fast.

I'd be interested to see what COMAND is for when I'm looking around the weekend.
Cheers

Hi
I've had a Porsche Boxster 2.7 04 plate for the last year and as much as I adore the car, driving experience etc because I only go back to and from work in it - clogged roads etc - I know that I'm not using the car to it's full advantage and driving experience.

The only other 2 cars I'm interested in - both convertible's are the SLK and Mazda MX5 coupe convertible.

2 similar cars in one way but differences in price for understood reasons.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking out for - looking for late 2007 early 2008 plate

I read somewhere that cars registered after Apr2008 had some improvements made to them re making them more economical....any opinions.

Many thanks

Depending on whether you were taking flight because of higher VED. If you are then the 1.8l just escape the £440, if not go for bigger engine to compensate your 2.7l. You probably need a 6.3l to satisfy your quest. If you do switch to Merc, you make the right choice, the boxster is just another VW without even a boot space, MR2 were trying to ape.

Don't even bother to look at MX5 if you came from Porsche.

COMAND = http://www.comand.co.uk/

Its the built-in Satnav/radio/CD/MP3/TV/DVD/phone unit.

Its an expensive option (around £2K) when fitted and specified from new, so not all cars have it. But well worth searching for one with it fitted. So much so in fact, that I would not entertain buying one without. Honest.
I have it in my C200K and its great. Specially as it enables all the functions to be done by the steering wheel buttons.

COMAND stands for "Cockpit Management And Navigation Device".

Colour is always a contraversial issue on this forum. Silver and Black are currently the must have colours. Personally, my favourite colour is Cubanite Silver (see my avatar to the left) and looks great on the SLK. Its like a cross between silver and gold. Very nice. But its a personal choice and see as many as you can before commiting yourself. Test drives are must.
One further option worth looking for is try to get one with the "Sports Pack" added. This gives you, amongst other things, larger cross-drilled front discs and bigger calipers, 17" diameter rims with lower profile tyres (standard is 16"). Looks great and gives the car a lift.
Here is a SLK200 in Cubanite Silver (with the sports pack).............

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for that link, I've printed it off and will have a good look.

I do enjoy feeling a bit of throttle under my foot but it doesn't have to be mega quick.

The Porsche has been great but I don't think I appreciate it for what it actually is. I want a good looking car, that you can put the roof down, known for excellent quality etc that does move but doesn't have to be massively fast.

I'd be interested to see what COMAND is for when I'm looking around the weekend.
Cheers

There are plenty around in auto at autotrader around 18K upward, new used be £23K for 1.8l but gone up to £28K. Shop around.

If you do switch to Merc, you make the right choice, the boxster is just another VW without even a boot space, MR2 were trying to ape.

Don't even bother to look at MX5 if you came from Porsche.

I'd disagree with this. The boxster is one of the best handling sports cars around at any price (including 911s etc); personally I don't think there is a VW - or arguably a merc - to get anywhere close to it for balance, handling, steering, braking. The MX5 is one I haven't driven but i have friends who have owned them, and it is an interesting proposition, being quite a bit cheaper than merc/porsche but still a very good drive. Probably lacks the 'quality feel' compared to merc/porsche though.

The only downside with the boxster is that it does really need to be driven regularly and decently hard, so a change to a slightly softer 2 seater like the SLK could well make sense. If you do go for the SLK I would entirely endorse verytalldave's comments on COMAND. It's a very nicely integrated package and one of relatively few options that will hold some value. There are board members here who can retrofit if necessary.

Last edited:
You wont beat the boxster for handling, there are no sporty mercs in comparison to the 911/boxster, just point and squirt fun mobiles not serious drivers machines, but then anything on the limit is fun, even a £1500 puma, however you have stated you want something good looking and coming from the boxster, powerful (ish), cue the SLK, its a stunner, personally prefer the late old shape (R170) to the newer shape and you get some reliability, just been through the £20k, 2 seat convertables with a friend and he has plumped for an SLK over the boxster, MX5, TT and his ageing MGF,

I also agree with the COMAND posts, it makes it easier to sell later in life, as do heated seats,

With regards to interior which is what I find really important as thats the bit I spend most of my time looking at not the outside im not a huge fan of the current SLK, its a bit Barbie girl, plastic fantastic, but then what do I know? im just a 30 year old fart with an old mans S class

Last edited:
but then anything on the limit is fun, even a £1500 puma,

Don't they tend to understeer into the next lane and need something solid to stop them..

If you play with the tyre pressures you can make any car go into oversteer rather than understeer...

Hi I read somewhere that cars registered after Apr2008 had some improvements made to them re making them more economical....any opinions.

Many thanks

Thats correct, from April the 200k went from 161 bhp to 184 and the 350 went from 275'ish to 305, both the 280 and AMG stayed the same. I have the 280 (231 bhp) its a September 2005 vintage and, for some strange reason, is not universally acclaimed :confused: , anyway its quick enough for me (for now).

Also April saw a cosmetic facelift, in addition to the engine changes, designed to give it a more aggressive look but I'm not entirely convinced as I like the rounded and flowing look of the pre April versions.

As others have said, some things are a must and I agree, Auto (7 speed on 280 and above); leather; heated seats + airscarf; silver(s) or black but thats personal; comand is great and fun; xenon headlights? I have them but I could go without.

Happy hunting, you wont be dissapointed, but I think you will need a 280 or above bearing in mind what you are coming from.

Portzy.

I had a '53-reg Boxster S. Great fun, but I know what you mean Candy about not using its full potential on the road - mothing a few track days didn't sort out!

I hired an SLK 200 in Germany for a few days and was very surprised at how well it drove (140 on the autobahn). Easier in some ways that a Boxster, and in real life driving hardly any slower. They are good cars.

COMAND = http://www.comand.co.uk/

Its the built-in Satnav/radio/CD/MP3/TV/DVD/phone unit.

Its an expensive option (around £2K) when fitted and specified from new, so not all cars have it. But well worth searching for one with it fitted. So much so in fact, that I would not entertain buying one without. Honest.
I have it in my C200K and its great. Specially as it enables all the functions to be done by the steering wheel buttons.

COMAND stands for "Cockpit Management And Navigation Device".

Colour is always a contraversial issue on this forum. Silver and Black are currently the must have colours. Personally, my favourite colour is Cubanite Silver (see my avatar to the left) and looks great on the SLK. Its like a cross between silver and gold. Very nice. But its a personal choice and see as many as you can before commiting yourself. Test drives are must.
One further option worth looking for is try to get one with the "Sports Pack" added. This gives you, amongst other things, larger cross-drilled front discs and bigger calipers, 17" diameter rims with lower profile tyres (standard is 16"). Looks great and gives the car a lift.
Here is a SLK200 in Cubanite Silver (with the sports pack).............

This car is actually a SLK55 AMG, you can tell from the grills in the front bumper also the wheels are standard SLK55 AMG Wheels, Sports Pack on SLK adds 18'' alloys, black leather with red stitching and red seat belts, roof spoiler too.

Cubanite is not the most desirable of colours for the SLK, mainly find Silvers, Blacks, and the odd blue.

I had the 161bhp SLK200 at one point and went for a drive in a boxster 2.7. The engines are totally different. The merc has plenty of low down grunt and seems to pull happily from low revs, The Boxster needed a bit of a shove the gas peda; and was not for me for everyday driving. It didn't have that much acceleration to impress me either.

Handling, well its a porsche, and short of getting an Elise, nothing will touch it. Itm was very well put together and had a goor ride. Plus the roof worked while it was moving.

The Merc felt more thought out and had a logical switch layout, was quiet and reasonable on economy but suffers from a small boot. Not the 2 you get in a boxster. The roof requires you to stop to raise and lower it, although I do recall a device you can fit that allows it to work when moving.

COMAND is still the best sat nav system. It is so easy to use.

The sport suspension package makes the 200 very hard and not the best long distance car.

Go for a drive in one, then go for a ride in the MX5 and buy the merc afterwards.

This car is actually a SLK55 AMG, you can tell from the grills in the front bumper also the wheels are standard SLK55 AMG Wheels, Sports Pack on SLK adds 18'' alloys, black leather with red stitching and red seat belts, roof spoiler too.

And mine ate Boxsters for breakfast. In fact it demolished a few 911's at some place a year or 2 back.

You can also tell the the AMG by the AMG brake calipers.

If you can afford, the 911 is the best, the boxster no, out of date now, it hasn't got the compressor to pick up. Once you driven a compressor it difficult without one.:D

If you can afford, the 911 is the best, the boxster no, out of date now, it hasn't got the compressor to pick up. Once you driven a compressor it difficult without one.:D

Hi ,, have you driven a SLK 200 and Porsche Boxster 2.7 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom