Third brake light on 2005 SLK R171

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedes1008

Car
Mercedes SLK
Third brake light not working so I am trying to test if it is a wiring problem or the light itself. I have removed the plastic cover under the boot lid ok and there appears to be a plastic assembly within the boot lid itself held in by two clips on one side and three on the other. I can ease off the two clips on one side but the three on the other side seem really firm. I assume I need to get this out to complete my electrical testing. Note: I also removed the long thin panel on the back of the boot lid which house the lock and number plate illumination lights but this does not seem to help me access where I need to get to. I have attached a picture showing the plastic assembly within the boot lid and highlighted one of the three clips that is resisting being removed.
Any help advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210709_183310.jpg
    20210709_183310.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Third brake light not working so I am trying to test if it is a wiring problem or the light itself. I have removed the plastic cover under the boot lid ok and there appears to be a plastic assembly within the boot lid itself held in by two clips on one side and three on the other. I can ease off the two clips on one side but the three on the other side seem really firm. I assume I need to get this out to complete my electrical testing. Note: I also removed the long thin panel on the back of the boot lid which house the lock and number plate illumination lights but this does not seem to help me access where I need to get to. I have attached a picture showing the plastic assembly within the boot lid and highlighted one of the three clips that is resisting being removed.
Any help advice appreciated.
Wish I could help. As no-one else has chimed in, I suggest you also search or ask the same question over at the SLKworld forum. Good luck.

Sorted now. The secret is you remove the side with the three clips first. This can be done by applying upward pressure on the plastic assembly itself and then easing the three clips off backwards one at a time. Once this is done you can slide the two on the other side off easily. Then with a bit of juggling you can extract the plastic assembly out of the boot lid to expose the third brake light and its fittings.

Sorted now. The secret is you remove the side with the three clips first. This can be done by applying upward pressure on the plastic assembly itself and then easing the three clips off backwards one at a time. Once this is done you can slide the two on the other side off easily. Then with a bit of juggling you can extract the plastic assembly out of the boot lid to expose the third brake light and its fittings.
Thanks for bothering to come back with the answer, so many people tend not to 🙂. I'm just trying to sort this on my wife's SLK and was wondering exactly the same question. Where did you get your replacement from?

Thanks for bothering to come back with the answer, so many people tend not to 🙂. I'm just trying to sort this on my wife's SLK and was wondering exactly the same question. Where did you get your replacement from?
Mercedesbenzofnewcastl
mercedesbenzofnewcastle on ebay

Thanks for the info regards removing 3rd brake light, but not sure how much upward pressure is needed to release the three clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom