Third generation Mercedes owner - E400d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwimac

Car
E400d
Hello everyone

So. Having ridden in my grandfather's Mercedes in the 70's and my father's succession of the (mostly 450SEL's including the rare 6.9 version for a while until he wrote it off then ending with a CL600) I now find myself the third generation with an E400d in the garage.

I am in NZ and it is a UK import with 5000 miles on from new - a 19 model. One of the DPF sensors was a failure on delivery and that has just been rectified by Mercedes in Wellington. Then, oddly, on the way home it refused to get out of 5th and do more than about 50mph. Turned round and took it back. They said they had found a 'software update' that was needed although they were not specific as to what software. Perhaps the sensor had changed since the original or something.

The car is lovely to drive; it has 4Matic and Airmatic which is the nicest suspension on any car I have ever had. It lacks a few things I cannot believe are not standard (my Subaru Forester has them all and cost 60% of what the Mercedes did!) on a car at this level - no blindspot monitoring, no 360 camera, no radar cruise, no HUD are the main gripes. The self driving stuff (over and above radar cruise) would be almost useless in NZ because we have no motorways at all worth the name. Even radar cruise would be of limited but occasional benefit.
On the plus side it has the twin sunroof and nappa leather plus the Burmester sound system.

One irritation is that I cannot link the car to Mercedes Me because it is a UK car outside the UK and so it won't link. This irritates me mainly because it means I cannot get Live Traffic on the navigation unless I use TomTom on my iPhone instead - but that works only in Car Play so you can't display it in place of the rev counter.

If anyone knows how you could pair the car to Mercedes Me, I would be most grateful. I found someone who had allegedly done it in Singapore to a UK car by re-doing his iPhone as if it was a UK based phone. No idea if that would still work.

Would changing the country with diagnostic equipment work? A dealer or competent independent should be able to do it

I'm very surprised it doesn't have blind spot and 360 camera, every 2019 E400d up for sale has these option as standard. Yes radar and and hud are not standard.

Well having driven in New Zealand a number of times,I am not sure traffic alerts are needed at all,I envy you in your car driving in the south island.

Is there any dealer involvement in setting up a Mercedes Me account? (I cannot remember how I set up mine)

What happens when you visit the UK Mercedes Me site?

Well having driven in New Zealand a number of times,I am not sure traffic alerts are needed at all,I envy you in your car driving in the south island.
I agree although I'm not sure how often it will go down there. I'm using it for private hire limousine work in Wellington.

Australia beats NZ traffic wise. I once drove for over 4 hours there without seeing another car!! Quite different from the M25 at rush hour. 😂

Would changing the country with diagnostic equipment work? A dealer or competent independent should be able to do it
Not sure. The dealer in Wellington just gave a very Gallic shrug and said it wasn't possible to make it work.

Once it is registered you can be in any country, otherwise travelling in Europe would not work.

Hopefully you should be able to register on the site above as it is a UK car, the only issue maybe your phone?

I succeeded in registering it! At least partially. It has to believe I'm in the UK so I had to use my mother's address and mobile number and put a random dealer in.
Mercedes Me more appears on the screen. In the app it says I have live traffic until 2024 but it's not showing the live traffic logo so perhaps it only gives live traffic in the UK and Europe? I know it works here on an official NZ purchased car.

Logically it must be possible to fix this. If I lived in the UK still and then moved to NZ and took the car with me, surely it wouldn't simply cease to provide all the functions?

Can you see tyre pressures, vehicle status, lock status, etc on the app?

No because the app I have is for Asia Pacific and the car is registered on the UK site. AFAIK, you can't download the app from the UK app store outside the UK.

I can see the car on the web portal but have no app access. My app simply does not see the car and if I try and register it it just returns endless errors because the VIN is not Asia Pacific.

Try changing your phones region to UK and then you will be accessing the UK app store.
Download the UK app and see how it goes. :D

Sadly it's not that simple. Yes you can do it but if you have any subscriptions like Apple Music etc you have to wait until they expire. I do. And they're annual not monthly! With the last one expiring on 22 Feb!

I was thinking of changing it briefly tp get the UK Mercedes Me app installed and then switching back.

Yes. I agree. Unfortunately Apple have prevented that by this ludicrous requirement that your subscriptions must expire (even if you cancel them) before the phone will allow you to switch region.

I'll probably replace this phone when the 13 is released probably in September. If I do, it would be faster to do this on the new phone by setting that up with a separate Apple ID based in the UK first. Maybe.

Yes indeed. Imagine how irritating it would be if you moved from say the UK to Italy after just renewing your subscriptions for a year...
Frankly it's ridiculous.

Interestingly, I turned the car on today to move it out of the garage and at the bottom of the Nav map it said "Live Traffic". That had disappeared within a few minutes and I compared the map to TomTom on my iPhone and the live traffic on the phone seemed correct - but no display on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom