Third party, fire and... rape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Sex attack victims sue cabbie John Worboys and his insurers

Women who were sexually assaulted by cabbie John Worboys are suing him and his vehicle insurers, arguing he used his taxi to attack them.

A High Court hearing will decide if the unnamed insurer is liable to pay any damages awarded against Worboys to a group of eight women.

It will consider how far car insurance covers harm caused by crimes using a vehicle - not just road accidents.

Read more here: BBC News - Sex attack victims sue cabbie John Worboys and his insurers

So can banks now sue car insurers of the car used in a getaway? The mind boggles.

Premiums heading northwards again??

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this case, as it could set a precedent with far-reaching implications.

Interesting, not sure what mileage there is there. Can only see it even vageuly flying because it's insured for the job of carrying people for hire or reward, therefore a duty of care to paying passengers.

However, to make this stick means that insurers would then be asking for psych assessments of their clients. Definitely clutching at straws there...

Sue his mum for giving birth to a rapist...

Ah, but that gets them into the whole nature v. nurture debate.

Far easier to go after the insurer for a huge payout, if the court decides that a car can be used as a "weapon" in this way.

Last edited:
look on the bright side....

at least the poor impoverished lawyers will make a bit more money.

Ah, but that gets them into the whole nature v. nurture debate.

Far easier to go after the insurer for a huge payout, if the court decides that a car can be used as a "weapon" in this way.

It's time we started hanging parasite lawyers from lamposts.

The greedy rodents cost us a fortune.

I hope this is about claiming on the public liability cover included in the insurance for opertaing a private hire vehicle or Hackney Carriage. If thats the case, the insurer may be liable, and that this may have nothing to do with regular car insurance. I'm sure the insurers will use it hike premiums regardless.

I hope this is about claiming on the public liability cover included in the insurance for opertaing a private hire vehicle or Hackney Carriage. If thats the case, the insurer may be liable, and that this may have nothing to do with regular car insurance. I'm sure the insurers will use it hike premiums regardless.

I believe that your question is correct.

I hope this is about claiming on the public liability cover included in the insurance for opertaing a private hire vehicle or Hackney Carriage.

I don't think that's the case. It's the personal injury element of the motor insurance policy that's being targeted:

The landmark case by his victims, which is set to last several days, will rule on whether the motor insurance company - which has been granted anonymity - must pay damages because of crimes committed by Worboys in his insured cab.

By law, motor insurance covers personal injury caused by use of a vehicle on a road, even when the vehicle is used as a weapon - for example to drive deliberately at someone.

The eight women claim Worboys used his black cab to entice, imprison and assault them.

Counsel for the group of claimants, Edwin Glasgow QC, told the court: "The fundamental issue in these cases is whether personal injuries caused by a taxi driver's assaults on a passenger, during the course of a journey, were 'caused by or arose out of the use of a vehicle on a road' for the purposes of compulsory insurance as required by the Road Traffic Act 1988."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom