This drives me crazy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
I pull into the local Town Centre Car Park today and it’s rammed. So I start circumnavigating like a lion on the prowl. Then I spot it. A very tight space at the far end of the row. Bonus, it’s a disabled bay. The only space in the Car Park and now it’s going to be mine.

As I start reversing into it, I can see a chap looking at me from the drivers seat of the car that is parked next to my vacant space. We he is probably worried I will clonk his car?

It’s a struggle folks. Several backwards & forwards moves with my mirrors folded in, but I manage it. I’m in.

As myself and family start to climb out. He sets his engine. Gives me a polite nod and drives off. WTF?

Is it a spectator sport? Watching me struggle knowing he was going to be pulling out.

But hey it got better.

I return to my car after an hour to be greeted by a chap and his family strolling past staring at my windscreen. “You don’t look disabled mate don’t you feel bad about taking up that space?”

No I’m fine thank you. Replies I.

You should be ashamed,shouts his wife. There’s nothing wrong with you.

Happy days. A nice day somewhat spoiled. Why can’t people just think before engaging gob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife gets that a lot, she now displays a sign alongside badge saying "Not all disabilities are visible" and points them at it....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The one thing you omitted to mention is that you have, and were displaying, a Blue Badge. Without that particular piece of information, to someone who doesn't know you your first post is rather misleading...

It sounds like he didn't have one if they were looking at the windscreen, or they'd have seen it?

I pull into the local Town Centre Car Park today and it’s rammed. So I start circumnavigating like a lion on the prowl. Then I spot it. A very tight space at the far end of the row. Bonus, it’s a disabled bay. The only space in the Car Park and now it’s going to be mine.

As I start reversing into it, I can see a chap looking at me from the drivers seat of the car that is parked next to my vacant space. We he is probably worried I will clonk his car?

It’s a struggle folks. Several backwards & forwards moves with my mirrors folded in, but I manage it. I’m in.

As myself and family start to climb out. He sets his engine. Gives me a polite nod and drives off. WTF?

Is it a spectator sport? Watching me struggle knowing he was going to be pulling out.

But hey it got better.

I return to my car after an hour to be greeted by a chap and his family strolling past staring at my windscreen. “You don’t look disabled mate don’t you feel bad about taking up that space?”

No I’m fine thank you. Replies I.

You should be ashamed,shouts his wife. There’s nothing wrong with you.

Happy days. A nice day somewhat spoiled. Why can’t people just think before engaging gob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the point of a disabled space that’s so tight? I thought the whole point was they were easily accessible

Well Bruce you bring all this on yourself,all that keep fit and the dog walking,plus you are building on a finely tuned body,and so that couple with your good looks,it is bound to bring this accusation,from people who are stupid and take everything at face value.

Why don't you have a disabled badge?
I do have a badge. It is the badge that they were looking at, that seemed to annoy them.

It is also one of the "new" huge laminated badges that can be seen from outer space and...... YOU get two of them. One is a badge and one is time clock to display your time of arrival.

Had he not seen my badges and then (as he did) not considered me disabled (as he stated) How would he have known that I was claiming to be disabled.?

Come on guys lighten up. Some of you look like you want to try and prove me wrong. Please read my original post again.

Last edited:
What’s the point of a disabled space that’s so tight? I thought the whole point was they were easily accessible
You now how it works... One car parks out of it's bay, so the next car has to park further out its bay, then the next and the next. By the time you get to the end you are left with a tiny strip. that I could fit into with a bit of struggle, but no so that I was damaging anybodies car or obstructing their entry or exit.

Ageism and car envy sometimes plays a part, it's a bit like "you are not a geriatric can afford a nice car so you can't possibly be disabled".....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I do have a badge. It is the badge that they were looking at, that seemed to annoy them.

It is also one of the "new" huge laminated badges that can be seen from outer space and...... YOU get two of them. One is a badge and one is time clock to display your time of arrival.

Had he not seen my badges and then (as he did) not considered me disabled (as he stated) How would he have known that I was claiming to be disabled.?

Come on guys lighten up. Some of you look like you want to try and prove me wrong. Please read my original post again.

I have done. Now read it as if it had been a total stranger's car, and there was no badge in the windscreen. If I see a car parked in a disabled bay with no badge, and the driver is there, I will at least look at the screen, and at the driver, in a 'meaningful' way. The couple's reaction was much the same, and could equally suggest there was no badge there.

See what I mean by misleading?

I wasn't suggesting for one moment you were in the wrong.

I've posted this before but Bruce you will find this funny. Years ago when they were brand new my dad had a imperial red 129 and he was the designated driver for his best mate, severely diabetic, 3 kidney transplants, missing half a leg and both feet. Pulled up outside kings in a disabled bay (with blue badge showing) a couple of old grunters start giving it to my dad so my dad's mate gets out the car , unstraps his false leg and chucks it at their heads.

They won't be doing that again in a hurry :)

I have done. Now read it as if it had been a total stranger's car, and there was no badge in the windscreen. If I see a car parked in a disabled bay with no badge, and the driver is there, I will at least look at the screen, and at the driver, in a 'meaningful' way. The couple's reaction was much the same, and could equally suggest there was no badge there.

See what I mean by misleading?

I wasn't suggesting for one moment you were in the wrong.

There was/is a badge in the windscreen and I never said or suggested there was not a badge in the windscreen. How elese would these people be able to deduce or even enter the discussion about my being disabled or not were there not a badge in the windscreen to prompt them? Or are you saying that on seeing an empty windscreen with no badges you would assume that the driver.owner must be disabled or not?

Being disabled is not guessing game for others, or is it? It is not for complete strangers to challenge my use of my legally entitled blue badge or how I look, walk, talk etc.

Would you rather I carry a bell that I can ring when car parks to advertise my disablement? Maybe I could have a flashing light on my head or, as Borat suggested we could all wear Light Blue Hats ;^)

I am disabled - Fact
I do have a blue badge(s) - Fact
I was correctly displaying my badges - Fact
I was parked in a clearly marked disabled bay - Fact

I do not see and am not aware (apart from some in this forum) that I am required to anything further.

I posted a light comment about how irritating simple parking can be and how it can make or break a nice day out with the family. I did not want, expect or encourage challenges to my entitlement (fair or not) or to my usage of my blue badges. Please can we stop that now.

Why not challenge the guy who with no reason or knowledge sets about questioning me in front of my wife & daughters as well as the passing public? The guy who thinks it big and clever to accuse me of feigning disablement and mock my parking? I repeat again. He had zero reason to do so. Apart from his own observation that presumably led him to the conclusion that I must not be disabled. We are not all visibly disabled and we do not all have a desire to advertise our disability.

Thank you.

I've posted this before but Bruce you will find this funny. Years ago when they were brand new my dad had a imperial red 129 and he was the designated driver for his best mate, severely diabetic, 3 kidney transplants, missing half a leg and both feet. Pulled up outside kings in a disabled bay (with blue badge showing) a couple of old grunters start giving it to my dad so my dad's mate gets out the car , unstraps his false leg and chucks it at their heads.

They won't be doing that again in a hurry :)

Now that makes me laugh :^)

My friend trod on a fish on some foreign holiday. Two weeks later back in the UK, he had his foot amputated.

Now this is a big lump of a guy and I mean big lump. Not one to get into a fight with. But one night in the local a chap started moaning about his scratched foot and how it was "agony" My friend (called Knocker) very quietly removed his new prosthetic foot, sits it on the bar, with shoe, foot & sock attached and says "you can borrow this to get you home, it doesn't itch"

There was/is a badge in the windscreen and I never said or suggested there was not a badge in the windscreen. How elese would these people be able to deduce or even enter the discussion about my being disabled or not were there not a badge in the windscreen to prompt them? Or are you saying that on seeing an empty windscreen with no badges you would assume that the driver.owner must be disabled or not?

Chill out. I think what he's saying is for YOU to re-read your own post as if it was a strangers car, someone you didn't know, and for you to read it whilst assuming there was no badge in the windscreen. It reads like someone was glancing at your car looking for a badge, couldn't see one, then started on at you that you don't look very disabled. Saying "you don't look very disabled mate, don't you feel bad for taking the space" could equally be said if you did or didn't have a badge visible.

That's what I assumed when reading it, because I don't know you and didn't realise the situation. No big deal, just didn't know the whole story, which is why I asked about the badge.

Sheesh! Cool down, Bruce. Nobody is challenging your entitlement to or use of a Blue Badge, or defending the wrong assumptions of the couple.. I'm sorry if I did not make my point clearly enough for you.

That point is, that since you did not state - which you did not - that you were displaying a Blue Badge, it was equally valid to think that the reaction of the couple was because you were parking in a disabled space and were not displaying a badge. That's all.

My friend (called Knocker) very quietly removed his new prosthetic foot, sits it on the bar, with shoe, foot & sock attached and says "you can borrow this to get you home, it doesn't itch"
On the topic of prosthetics...

When I was in my late teens I had a mate who had lost an eye in an accident with a bow an arrow, and thus had a false eye.

One evening we were out with a group of friends which included a new girl in the group. Said girl takes her coat off and puts it on the seat next to my mate and says "Keep an eye on my coat, please". Mate pops out his false eye and puts it on her coat. She threw up :D

It's all about some peoples unnecessary attitude (not brucemillars).
I parked in a M&S car park bay the other day, I think I was central. I think the car next to me was also central but as I got out of mine the other driver returned and a sneering sarcastic way asked me to move so he could get in. I did, but wondered he would have spoken that way if I'd been younger than my 76 years.
Likewise a few days before I parked momentarily in a loading bay to collect my wife from the doctors (yes I was wrong). A van driver started his objection with f*&****, in fact I don't think he used any other words in his rant. If I had been younger I wonder if his verbal objection would have been the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom