This drives me crazy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And the Fintail had a HUUUGE boot !

When I was younger I used to go swimming in my lunch break. As regulars we all used to have our preferred lanes and could get a bit protective about others encroaching.

One day a new guy was swimming in my lane but we had both set off from opposite ends so that we passed each other in the middle. Each time we passed he caught me with his arm or kicked me with his leg. After a few lengths of this I thought...right just one more time, one more collision and I’ll really give him a right bollocking.

Just on the verge of my having a full Barney with him he got out and walked towards the changing rooms with a white stick. I was that close to making a complete **** of myself. I learned a valuable lesson.

When I was younger I used to go swimming in my lunch break. As regulars we all used to have our preferred lanes and could get a bit protective about others encroaching.

One day a new guy was swimming in my lane but we had both set off from opposite ends so that we passed each other in the middle. Each time we passed he caught me with his arm or kicked me with his leg. After a few lengths of this I thought...right just one more time, one more collision and I’ll really give him a right bollocking.

Just on the verge of my having a full Barney with him he got out and walked towards the changing rooms with a white stick. I was that close to making a complete **** of myself. I learned a valuable lesson.

“You cannot judge a book by its cover”.

I my case my disability has little outward signs. I still remain hideously good looking in a sort of rakish fashion. But I do struggle to walk far and have a tendency to fall over if I overdo things. This has resulted in some spectacular hospital visits.

But I have learned from it. I think and hope that I I am much more tolerant of others now than in my younger years. I try to look beyond the shop window and think “how would they feel”.

Life is short and needs to be enjoyed wherever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re right, of course, Bruce, not all disabilities are obvious. My mother-in-law, for instance, has had multiple hip, and one knee replacements, and walks (very slowly and wobbly) with two sticks.

She has a Blue Badge, not because of the above, but because of heart problems......

Having said that, though, I saw two ladies in Flight Attendant uniforms get out of a car displaying a BB, in Luton, parked on a double yellow. Sorry, but could not help thinking this was BB abuse.

Malcolm

Yes. We shouldn’t judge people.
Look how these police officers just assume that the two young lads are insulting them.
At least they learned a few things from their experience.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You’re right, of course, Bruce, not all disabilities are obvious. My mother-in-law, for instance, has had multiple hip, and one knee replacements, and walks (very slowly and wobbly) with two sticks.

She has a Blue Badge, not because of the above, but because of heart problems......

Having said that, though, I saw two ladies in Flight Attendant uniforms get out of a car displaying a BB, in Luton, parked on a double yellow. Sorry, but could not help thinking this was BB abuse.

Malcolm

Malcolm

I watched the national news last week where there was entire section given over to looking at the lack of action taken by the authorities in policing "Blue Badge Abuse"

Blue badge abuse action 'disgraceful'

So, I guess it should be no real surprise that some feel it is acceptable to abuse it. That is very sad and should just never be abused. There is no excuse. I suspect that those who abuse it, see it as a faceless crime/problem. Something that has no repercussions on them or others.

I have a badge and use it "selectively" or rater I use the disabled bays selectively leaving my badge in the windscreen. I see no point in depriving anybody of a space if, my need is not greater than theirs. I have days where I am fine to get about, on those days I don't use it. It is worth noting (for those who didn't know). The badge DOES NOT ALWAYS ENTITLE THE USER TO FREE OR REDUCED PARKING CONCESSIONS !!!. The norm is: Access to a disabled bay that costs the same as any other bay. I have encountered anger that is driven by people wrongly thinking I am getting something for nothing. Called a sponger or a ponce (nice)..

For this reason and others I prefer to reduce my exposure and try to help others by parking in stock bays on days where my health allows. I know of many others who do likewise. Mrs M, refuses to sit in the car if I am nipping out and used a disabled bay. Why? She to has endured abuse for not looking disbaled enough (she is not disabled at all).

It is all wrong. Abusing strangers just because they have a badge. Playground stuff that causes real upset to many.

In the traffic last night I spotted a old box Granada which I seem to remember being absolutely huge in my youth. Next to it was a brand new Civic and it was nearly the same size !

The Ford Granada was 4572mm long and 1791mm wide.
The biggest Civic is 4648 long and 1877 wide...amazing, but true.

The Honda has grown by more than a metre since first introduced in 1972.

Malcolm
I suppose they could have been collecting a disabled passenger?

...I do...have a tendency to fall over if I overdo things.

It's your youthful outlook, Bruce. There are tens of thousands of young people just like that in town centres late on on Friday and Saturday nights...:D

The Ford Granada was 4572mm long and 1791mm wide.
The biggest Civic is 4648 long and 1877 wide...amazing, but true.

The Honda has grown by more than a metre since first introduced in 1972.

And at 4581 mm long a W204 C class is smaller than the Civic.

It's becoming an issue for me as anything longer than the W204 wouldn't fit in my garage without losing the work bench.

In the traffic last night I spotted a old box Granada which I seem to remember being absolutely huge in my youth. Next to it was a brand new Civic and it was nearly the same size !

Yep, I remember the one used in the Sweeney back then, it was a large car by 70's standards. I too saw one on the road a few months ago, same colour as the Sweeney car and immaculate condition, but could not believe how small it looked in modern traffic.

Brilliant. I LOVE it! I was about half-way through before the penny dropped...

FRom the accents, this sounded like they were from the West of Scotland too. Lucky the cops didnae get a Glesga Kiss!

Reactions: 219
I have the same 'guilt' when I take my disabled mother into town to do her 'banking', she has internet banking but likes to go into town now and again to draw out some cash, she is 'old skool'...they like cash.

Anyway, we pull into the disabled bay I pop the badge on display then spend 10 minutes wrestling her motability scooter out the back of the Zafira...NOW I remember why we still own this dull lump...The Zafira, not my mom.

I walk with her to the bank , she hands me a few hundred sovs for 'safe keeping'.. Ha ! I remember when she used to send me to the corner shop for a bottle of Vimto 2d short so I couldn't steal the change !

It's at this point she decides the weather is nice enough and she has enough battery power to get her home so she no longer needs me around.

Thus starts the distinctly able bodied 'walk of shame' back to the car with the blue badge where I am met by the flint eyed death stares of Mr & Mrs Beige in their Datsun Cherry or Nissan Micra WHO REALLY NEED THAT SPACE YOU HAVE STOLEN YOU BAAAAASTARD !

I have thought of using one of my moms old walking sticks and affect a limp on such walks, but I am bound to bump into one of my mates who will then tell the whole pub that I am using my wife's car along with my moms blue badge AND her walking stick just to deprive a disable war hero his parking space...you just can't win ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom