This goverment is MAD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
NEW DRIVEWAY LEGISLATION
From 1st October 2008 planning permission is now required to lay traditional impermeable driveways that allow uncontrolled runoff of rainwater.

Released by Communities and Local Government and Environment Agency called 'Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens'

Will they then charge xtra on your council tax for this...its on its way

Why is this mad?

We have areas locally that have suffered since the front gardens have been removed and block paving / concrete / tarmac has gone down. Rain water empties out into the roads, the drainage can't cope (as it's now over the design capacity) and water collects and gets in the house.

At least they are addressing the issue - and in the meantime looking at relaxing planning permission elsewhere (extensions and loft conversions).

Can't see why it would affect council tax - doesn't the fee with the application cover this?

I believe that this is a result of flooding problems - too much concrete = nowhere for the rain water to go = flooded houses. So not so mad maybe.

Not mad at all. Makes a lot of sense.

And, of course, they will then be able to keep a track of all those people who decide to use their front garden for parking without paying the council for a dropped kerb ;)

Heres the document.

Reading the first page its all to do with climate change:rolleyes: (no longer global warming). No mention of all the extra frugging houses shoehorned into unsuitable sites so councils can raise more council tax...I must just be getting cynical as I age

Heres the document.

Reading the first page its all to do with climate change:rolleyes: (no longer global warming). No mention of all the extra frugging houses shoehorned into unsuitable sites so councils can raise more council tax...I must just be getting cynical as I age

You must be mate :D

I don't suppose that the council would grant extra planning permission just for a bit extra council tax.

Note to town planners. If you build a house on a flood plain, it will get flooded at some point.

The areas either side of a river are also likely to flood as they are flood plains.

So dont plan to build millions of home down the side of the river thames on the east side of london.

http://www.whathouse.co.uk/new-homes/thames-gateway-new-homes

R

They wont flood as al those new driveways will be grass and it will soak up the rainwater:rolleyes: ....and they will also be putting in a permeable landing strip for the flying pig squadron

Note to town planners. If you build a house on a flood plain, it will get flooded at some point.
R

Obviously but it is more convenient to blame climate change for the flood.

This is perfectly normal. Nothing wrong with it to be honest.. just put in adequate drainage and there wont be a problem.. i.e an ACO drain to an existing soakaway or greywater drainage..

If you wanted to be really clever and sustainable, collect all of your rain water as part of a greywater system which you will use for the water that you flush your toilet with.. the planners will love that! :D When Code for Sustainable Homes comes in soon.. will be mandatory for all newly built homes..

....and they will also be putting in a permeable landing strip for the flying pig squadron

I am measuring one tomorrow as it happens. A landing strip with water permeable surface, not Oinkviators.

And I bet it rains too. This Global Change thing is getting me down....well, thinking about having a day off and then having to go and walk 1600m from each end of a runway and measure the items in it, and shove them on a map, in the rain, is kind of not a day off in my eyes.

And seeing as I got paid Last week, the novelty factor has gone off.

role on Climate Warming.

They're already charging commercial properties for run-off water - my bill went from £1800 to £12000 last year until I challenged it - most of my land is grass, they'd classed it as concrete.

Big thanks to my trade association - without them I'd have had a big bill for professional advice.

I guess it was an easy mistake for the water board to make - after all, both grass and concrete look so similar, don't they!

Of course there will be a charge.

No charge if you let the rain water permeates into the ground instead of running it on the public drainage.

If there is no lower kerb, you also need planning permission and fined and paid £1,200 to have it done. :D

Last edited:
Of course there will be a charge.

No charge if you let the rain water permeates into the ground instead of running it on the public drainage.

If there is no lower kerb, you also need planning permission and fined and paid £1,200 to have it done. :D

Anyone can have a drop kerb put it.. but taking down a hedge and sticking a driveway sometimes requires more than just planning permission..

If you intend to drive over a public footpath you will require a drop kerb, the expense comes because the county highways consultants needs to give authority for you to drive over footpath and also county will only allow you to use approved contractors on there approved framework to stop people ripping up roads and not putting them back properly..

This is perfectly normal. Nothing wrong with it to be honest.. just put in adequate drainage and there wont be a problem.. i.e an ACO drain to an existing soakaway or greywater drainage..

But people don't expect to do that, they just want to lay hard standing and either let the water run off or connect into mains drains.

It's Ok for people on high ground but further down the line there are massive problems with flooding and lowering of the water table.

Seems like a good idea to me.

But people don't expect to do that, they just want to lay hard standing and either let the water run off or connect into mains drains.

It's Ok for people on high ground but further down the line there are massive problems with flooding and lowering of the water table.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Yes, a good idea, your plans will have to show your drainage, and your 1APP planning forms need for you to specify existing and proposed drainage.. if its not up to scratch you'll get refused planning.. you can have another free go providing its within the 12 months period. Full planning application at the moment costs £156.00.

my drive is gravel which is ideal for rain to soak into ground but took a bit of practice to get the coupe out of the garage [uphill and no ASR] without peppering the focus with pebbles
dont waste water we must have more canals [excuse me I think Ive got water on the brain]

Last edited:
my drive is gravel which is ideal for rain to soak into ground but took a bit of practice to get the coupe out of the garage [uphill and no ASR] without peppering the focus with pebbles
dont waste water we must have more canals [excuse me I think Ive got water on the brain]

Oh, oh, yawn, time to go to bed. :p

Does this cover block paving? Could be classed a permiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom