This is a complete and utter disgrace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MOD said:
An MoD spokesman said: "There are no current problems with this ammunition.".
"LALALA ... can't hear you with my head wedged firmly in the sand."

Shocking and disgraceful :(

Some field research required.

Totally agree! "Ammunition may come from Pakistan" ?? seems a bit short sighted / naive bearing in mind the presence of political factions there whose allegiance is to the forces on the other side?:crazy: This no reflection on the right or wrongs of the presence of troops out there, but merely common sense.
Heads should roll is not the answer. Better to issue those responsible for the penny pinching with a standard infantry rifle and kit and send them to the frontline in Afganistan for some" in depth" field research.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Put Euan Blair & the Bush Twins in uniform, send them out to Afghanistan or Iraq & see if there's any change in US/UK policy in that theatre of ops!!!

Like others I am shocked that the 'wrong' ammunition was issued to our soldiers on active service although I'm not convinced that it was defective?

The powers that be purchased ammunition that was designed to fit the Russian-made DsHk 12.7mm heavy machine-gun. The bullets are cut with less precision, which if used would lead to perhaps predictable stoppages when fired from the Browning.

My questions would be.

1. Was this ammunition evaluated before being issued to operational units?

2. If not heads must roll?

3. If it was, then who tested it, where is the report and why has it failed so badly?

4. Why was this not dealt with IMMEDIATELY the problem came to light?

I stand to be corrected on this and it is only my interpretation of what has been reported.

Regards,
John

It could well be the same old problem. Government departments go out to tender with a specification, corners are cut to acheive the cheapest price and we buy rubbish. Heads must roll for this sort of incompitence though

Geoff2 said:
It could well be the same old problem. Government departments go out to tender with a specification, corners are cut to acheive the cheapest price and we buy rubbish. Heads must roll for this sort of incompitence though

And senior officers spend a few weeks in the Bahamas for signing the contract. Dont start me on military procurement contracts!!

Aircraft spares from a well known manufacturer, starts with B and ends with ing, one sheet metal part for a Chinook costs $1350 from the states, we make for less than £100?? Cant supply the MOD as they have a contract with this company??

Large Unit in East Anglia, major company has a contract for servicing "Fast Jets". Much of the work is being subcontracted to another civilian company who's MD is a retired Chief of the Air Staff.

Do you want me to go on?

Reading this link is an eye opener, and I wonder how much money is being paid out to hire helicopters? I am searching for information on the grounded chinooks that this government purchased many years ago, and I believe they are still not in service!!

Found it. How's about this for: 'A complete and utter disgrace?'

Regards,
John

John, do not start me on the helicopter fiasco!!

A couple of islands, just off South America have just lost their heavy lift capability, as the Ch$£%ok there was the last serviceable airframe, and was needed somewhere hot!

BenzComander said:
John, do not start me on the helicopter fiasco!!
:D :D Okay I won't show you this link!! ;)

Regards
John

glojo said:
:D :D Okay I won't show you this link!! ;)

Regards
John

John, the bottom line for this conversation is funding. The majority of the UK population are more interested in the NHS, so the government focus on this as a vote winner.

When the armed forces have to go and fight a war, on behalf of the British public they are hamstrung by red tape and lack of resources. The MOD is a joke at the moment, there is no money, the morale is at an all time low and people are leaving in droves.

BenzComander said:
John, the bottom line for this conversation is funding. The majority of the UK population are more interested in the NHS, so the government focus on this as a vote winner.

When the armed forces have to go and fight a war, on behalf of the British public they are hamstrung by red tape and lack of resources. The MOD is a joke at the moment, there is no money, the morale is at an all time low and people are leaving in droves.
Totally agree and it is very, very sad.

Take care,
John

Why don't we just use the cash gained from gatso's to purchase Military Spares? At least that way I would feel that I have contributed to a good cause. :rolleyes:

I wonder if those poor chaps in that video have asked for their signing off papers yet?

Back in the early summer I went to visit some of my army mates who are posted to various Army Air Corps regiments and 7Bn REME at Wattisham. One of those mates told me that there where 9 Apaches in the hangar at 7Bn each with between 60 and 80 AoG (Aircraft on Ground) faults which they could not repair due to lack of spares. These Apaches where being cannibalised for spares to keep the diminishing number of serviceable Apaches in the air.

The main reason behind this was that the MoD inexplicably cancelled the spares contract with Westlands a couple of years ago and parts are being bought/exchanged on an as required basis.

I'm glad I'm out, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom