This is a MUST for anyone with a W202 if their transmission is acting up!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzonline

Recently I put a new MAS sensor in my W202. I must have trained the transmission initially wrong by driving it harshly in high rpms. That will screw up the shifting in the long run as the transmission is training itself with the new MAS. So, as per a mechanic this solved my harsh shifts aswell as the transmission always holding 3rd gear too long and it worked.

You can reset the adaptation YOURSELF.
IF you follow this procedure the trans WILL re-learn!

ALL shifts must happen below 1900 RPM!!!

Select 1st gear & slowly accelerate thru the gears upto 5th & then coast back to a stop.

DO that 4 times & then let the car sit at idle for 10 minutes! After idling for 10 minutes shut off for 1 minute.

AT that point the trans adaptation should take place.

Good luck

Do you hold the gears manually, or is that just ensuring the gear changes occur below 1900 rpm by using a very light throttle. What reset did you do before this?

I did them by holding the gears manually....because with the way the transmission was acting before, it wouldnt dare shift gears before 1900rpm.

Other resets in the past...I tried one which was mentioned in another thread of mine by pressing the gas pedal for 5 secs with the ignition to ON but it didnt work for me.

This did.

Hi,

followed the manually stepping up thru the gears below 1900rpm bit ok.Can you tell me what's meant by coast back to a stop? Do you step back down the gears or just brake to a halt while still in 5th? Also do you switch car off for a minute after each one of the 10 min idle spells or just after the last idle?

Cheers.............Kertir.

does this work with an auto?

For the part on "coasting to a stop" make sure you are on a empty road....all I did was left off the gas until the car slowed down completely and barely moving....it downshifts slowly through all gears that way until stopped or barely rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom