This is a really lazy question but please help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartK

MB Enthusiast
Car
F82 M4
I keep seeing people have fitted shortened number plates to their cars and I think it looks a lot tidier so can someone tell me who has done it the measurements of their number plate?

Reason being is obviously there is a limit on the rear due to the screw holes welded into the bootlid at a certain distance apart?

Thank you :)

Only time a shortened plate looks good is if it's only got a few digits. Otherwise it's not worth doing.

^ This.

Plus it also has the potential to attract unwanted attention from the Boys in Blue.

I still think it looks good when a plate only has a few digits and it's not cut down. I think a normal plate cut short kinda looks like something you see on a sticker bombed corsa.

Only time a shortened plate looks good is if it's only got a few digits. Otherwise it's not worth doing.

It has got very few digits that's why I want to do it to tidy it up :)

It has got very few digits that's why I want to do it to tidy it up :)

How many digits?

I was with the wife the other weekend and we saw a nice black c63 in the lane next to us. It was tastefull with yellow calipers, black wheels, carbon diffuser and some other goodies. It had ** war reg with a cut down plate. After me saying I liked it the wife said it would look ok if it didn't have the silly little number plate and yellow calipers. She then added he must be going through a mid life crisis lol. Each to there own.

It looks good on classic American cars....

How many digits?

I was with the wife the other weekend and we saw a nice black c63 in the lane next to us. It was tastefull with yellow calipers, black wheels, carbon diffuser and some other goodies. It had ** war reg with a cut down plate. After me saying I liked it the wife said it would look ok if it didn't have the silly little number plate and yellow calipers. She then added he must be going through a mid life crisis lol. Each to there own.

My current plate has 5 digits (Y1 ***)

I also have a 4 digit plate though too but I'm loathed to switch it on for no reason.

I want to go down this road...

I have a 2 digit (A12 ABC) shortened plate and it had plenty of space for the screws.

Looking at this showplate site, standard is 20" x 4.5" and the sort version is 16" x 4.5". They do do a 13" x 4.5" but it seems to make the font smaller (image below)

https://www.myshowplates.com/number-plate-designer.asp?***id=CP797oaricsCFWj4wgodkbsLVg

imageSC.aspx

Last edited:
I personally like it. I've been after a short ( digit wise ) plate for a while now. Trouble is. If theye mean something to the majority they're super pricey. And I've found nothing in the way of my initials or anything so far.

But yes that gets a thumbs up from me.

Do you reckon that 16 X 4.5 is same as one in pic above?
Hold on tho. That plate in the pic is standard size font on a shorter plate. The one in the link above is a small plate with smaller font. Think the latter will look pants on the rear.

Hold on tho. That plate in the pic is standard size font on a shorter plate. The one in the link above is a small plate with smaller font. Think the latter will look pants on the rear.

I've emailed them to ask because I want standard font on a short plate

Why don't you just have a standard plate made and cut it down to the width of the screw holes? They will centre the lettering no matter how few digits anyway. Either way you go it's gonna be frowned upon by the old bill.

I know where your coming from as I've thought about cutting mine down.

Edge of the plate can be no less than 12mm around the letters.

My current plate has 5 digits (Y1 ***)

I also have a 4 digit plate though too but I'm loathed to switch it on for no reason.

I want to go down this road...

If you want a short plate, which must mean shorter is better, why not transfer the four-digit registration number? It's one of the few things that don't wear out or depreciate with use!

Why don't you just have a standard plate made and cut it down to the width of the screw holes? They will centre the lettering no matter how few digits anyway. Either way you go it's gonna be frowned upon by the old bill.

Thought about cutting a plate I already have bit this will mean the edges will become unsealed and the paper in between the acrylic will go manky

If you want a short plate, which must mean shorter is better, why not transfer the four-digit registration number? It's one of the few things that don't wear out or depreciate with use!

It means nothing to me and it's just an Irish one :(

Thought about cutting a plate I already have bit this will mean the edges will become unsealed and the paper in between the acrylic will go manky
I've cut them down in the past and it hasn't really made any difference. The stuff is pretty sticky and doesn't really separate from the plastic when it's cut. By the time you've flatted it off with a bit of wet n dry it's no different. Im always up for a bit of diy. Oh and the fact I'm a tight barstard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom