This is a scandal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup... been on the cards for a while now.

It's been discussed on here before.

It doesn't really surprise me as they've not tinkered with it for a while and they are probably losing money from all the cars which currently sit in the current £0 band.

Not exactly new news!

We currently run 2 x C3 that cost £30 for tax, these are a few years old now and due to be replaced within about a year or so.
New purchases now brought forward to ensure that these are registered before April which they will be this Friday.

But what new cars outputs that much CO2?

Even the new C63 with the 4L TT V8 is the same as my 3L V6 and it's got twice the power.

I can't find any current performance cars that output anywhere near the top end of those figures.

Am I mixed up?

Last edited:
But what new cars outputs that much CO2?

Even the new C63 with the 4L TT V8 is the same as my 3L V6 and it's got twice the power.

I can't find any current performance cars that output anywhere near the top end of those figures.

Am I mixed up?

4.4ltr and 5ltr Range Rovers for one or should that be two :dk:

Looks like I was slow in typing :)

Last edited:
I have an S213 E Class Estate on order only a 220d, but if registered this month tax is £30 a year, if registered next month tax is £450 a year for the first five years. (OTR Price about 44k)

Not sure how long this will last to be honest I think there will be a backlash when the average man in the street realises what's happening.

Thankfully mine will be here next week :)

It's the fleet buyers that will react and the second hand market will be even more flooded with base level, bog standard run of the mill, models...

Then go buy a 300SEL 6.3 which is exempt from VED , and is a much nicer place to be than any currently produced rubbish .

It is ridiculous and I cancelled my order for this very reason. In November I ordered a C200 cab which was listed well under £40k but a few options took it to £44k.

I should have got my car in March but unavailability of the leather dashboard meant the car could not be supplied until June.

I was hoping the VED would be calculated on the discounted price which is under £40k but this is not the case.

I could not really justify paying £450 instead of £145 in VED for 5 years on a 184bhp C200 so I have requested that the order be cancelled.

Then go buy a 300SEL 6.3 which is exempt from VED , and is a much nicer place to be than any currently produced rubbish .

I suppose that's arguable so long as it's not moving, but once it is, it is the old car which is rubbish. Pedestrian performance; handling, roadholding, brakes, steering that are all of their time. Things have moved on since 1969...

It's the fleet buyers that will react and the second hand market will be even more flooded with base level, bog standard run of the mill, models...

A sub £40k E-class is still a nice spec IMHO

.... the second hand market will be even more flooded with base level, bog standard run of the mill, models...

Oy! What's wrong with second hand base le.... oh never mind :(

:D

There was a similar reaction in 2005 (?) ahead of the (then) new VED categoties, which doubled the cost of road tax on cars with higher CO2 emissions. After the changes came into effect, it didn't seem to stop people buying cars in the more expensive tax brackets.

Whilst there's a blip now as a reaction to these latest changes, with people rushing to register cars and cancelling orders, I can't help but think it will settle down again and usual service will resume.

Some people (not on MBClub) have commented that these changes affect the average "man in the street" much more than the changes in 2005. A reflection of how lucky we are in the UK, when the average man in the street can afford to spend £40k on a new Mercedes.

In the last 12 years the proportion of people buying expensive cars has increased dramatically, so many more people can afford to buy expensive cars. The number of new Mercedes on the road and within the MBClub membership shows the difference.

None more so than AMGs. Back in 2005 a thread AMG ownership on MBClub was relatively rare, and now they're commonplace.

I suspect in 12 years time we'll look back at 2017 in much the same way: the average man in the street will generally accept the VED changes, and pay the higher cost for the privilege (and more importantly the image) of driving a brand new and expensive car.

None more so than AMGs. Back in 2005 a thread AMG ownership on MBClub was relatively rare, and now they're commonplace.
It's worth noting that "AMG line" or "AMG sports pack" does not an AMG model make.

It's the same with BMW sticking "M Sports" badges on various models; a "316 M Sports" is not an M3.

It's a great exercise in marketing.

Some people (not on MBClub) have commented that these changes affect the average "man in the street" much more than the changes in 2005. A reflection of how lucky we are in the UK, when the average man in the street can afford to spend £40k on a new Mercedes.

They are referring to the fact that a little hatchback which previously cost £20 a year, will now cost £140.

It's not just the over £40,000 cars which are being hit. :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom