This is not your usual put petrol in a diesel thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On my wife's C240 V6 Petrol. The pump had actually seized and the filter was completely clogged/blocked. Both were full of what would best be described as thick black treacle. We had to have a new pump, filter pipes removed and cleaned along with injectors and fuel tank.

The fuel people who tested our sample said it was a mix of diesel, petrol and a very small amount of water it had congealed.

We had only ever used the local ASDA and she filled up twice a week with a full tank. Receipt showed the correct amount in £ and Unleaded Premium Petrol.

ASDA did suggest that maybe she had put in some diesel after filling up with petrol (like we all do). In the end we had no recourse as they simply stated that they had no other complaints and it was nothing to do with them. Some months later my neighbour suffered the same fate with his VW Golf which cut out on his home after filling up in the same station. He had the same result as us. As Flango says. I never ever use supermarket fuel now unless really caught. Then I will only put a couple of pounds in to get me to the next station.

Some worrying accounts here of wrong fuel in pumps. And worrying denials from the fuel stations.

I nearly always use Tesco for petrol because they're the nearest and I get fuel savings after doing the grocery shopping there. Three times in the last couple of months it's been closed, initially for a reported rebuild but then no reason given. Perhaps a drive elsewhere, even if out of my way, may be wiser in the future.

Some worrying accounts here of wrong fuel in pumps. And worrying denials from the fuel stations.

I nearly always use Tesco for petrol because they're the nearest and I get fuel savings after doing the grocery shopping there. Three times in the last couple of months it's been closed, initially for a reported rebuild but then no reason given. Perhaps a drive elsewhere, even if out of my way, may be wiser in the future.

I will NEVER use supermarket fuel again, the £1 a month I save from vouchers isn't worth it....

I will NEVER use supermarket fuel again, the £1 a month I save from vouchers isn't worth it....

But why are Supermarkkets more likely to have a fuel contamination issue?

Unless there is data showing the number of fuel contamination events per annum broken down to show the type of filling stations we have no firm evidence.

You save nothing by amassing points for fuel at Tesco,it's all loaded on
to the groceries you buy. Tesco gives nothing away,as for fuel...Shell
Vpower,your V6 deserves it.

Unless there is data showing the number of fuel contamination events per annum broken down to show the type of filling stations we have no firm evidence.

When the stations just deny it how are you meant to gather evidence? The problem is that it's the motorists word against theirs, they could quite easily say I filled up with them on Friday, drove 600 miles that night then filled up somewhere else with petrol and am now passing the blame to them.

Unless there are a raft of complaints, I don't see how you can prove the fuel you bought is contaminated. You know it, but it would be hard to prove.
I'm staying away from Tesco in future even though their Momentum fuel seems good stuff. A 3 mile detour is a small price to pay for uncontaminated fuel.

Re my post above about Tesco Branksome, that was the second time cars have been damaged with faulty fuel from that branch.

View attachment 49892Dozens of vehicles broke down after motorists used diesel pumps at the station in Branksome in Poole, Dorset, on 18 September.
Police think the contamination occurred when fuel was stolen from a tanker in Grays, Essex, and replaced with non-road diesel before heading to Dorset.
A man from Canvey, 57, was arrested on suspicion of theft and bailed.
The petrol station was forced to close for nearly two months while investigations were carried out.
At the time, customers complained of damage running into thousands of pounds being done to their vehicles.

Last edited:

Google for fuel contamination problems.

Various threads here on past issues e.g.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...forecourt-diesel-pumps-dispensing-petrol.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/34589-tesco-morrisons-contaminated-petrol.html

So a bit of an update... The high pressure pump was leaking so I have replace it and I managed to prime the fuel to the rail and it is getting to the injectors but the car still won't start... I'm starting to think that either one or more injectors has had it or a sensor is dead somewhere. It really sounds like it wants to start but it's just that last bit won't go!!

So a bit of an update... The high pressure pump was leaking so I have replace it and I managed to prime the fuel to the rail and it is getting to the injectors but the car still won't start... I'm starting to think that either one or more injectors has had it or a sensor is dead somewhere. It really sounds like it wants to start but it's just that last bit won't go!!

What a nightmare, its really making me think about going elsewhere for fuel, I use the Tesco diesel and the use a millers addative as I was concerned about the quality so maybe its time to use Shell.

I used supermarket fuel years ago, and the car (an old Golf) never seem to run well, as from then I never use supermarket fuel, despite it being a bit cheaper.

I think we should distinguish between low-quality fuel, and contomanited fuel tanks.

Even if it is true that supermarkets sell low-quality fuel for cheap, you should still get what you paid for...

When you buy cheap Lager you expect it to be just that, not a random mixture of Lager, white wine, and water...

When the stations just deny it how are you meant to gather evidence? The problem is that it's the motorists word against theirs, they could quite easily say I filled up with them on Friday, drove 600 miles that night then filled up somewhere else with petrol and am now passing the blame to them.

That just reinforces my point, without reliable evidence, which is understandably hard to get, especially if there are no other reports of problems from the same filling station then it is just an assumption that Supermarkets are more prone to this.

An incident or two that are reported (and one that has some justifiable doubts attached) are not statistical evidence of a systematic problem at Supermarket filling stations.

Fuel comes from same rafinery to any petrolstation, unles has added aditives its THE SAME fuel! So could be contaminated on the way to petrol station or in station tanks. Supermarkets sell much more fuel so its bigger space for human error.
I had never problem with Tesco fuel and will not stop to use them.
Tesco tanker drivers are well paid, same as Hoyer drivers(Shell) so i would not blame drivers.

Last edited:

To be fair your second and fith link show contamination noted at the storage depot or admitted by the delivery company, neither are the fault of a third party plus the Supermarkets are not responsible for correct delivery, that is the tanker driver's responsibility.

To be fair your second and fith link show contamination noted at the storage depot or admitted by the delivery company, neither are the fault of a third party plus the Supermarkets are not responsible for correct delivery, that is the tanker driver's responsibility.

But regardless of who was to blame, those incidents did only affect people who'd bought fuel at supermarket forecourts.

But regardless of who was to blame, those incidents did only affect people who'd bought fuel at supermarket forecourts.

But the premise of the argument was that Supermarkets were to blame, all we have are a series of unconnected and seemingly random problems.

Two out of the five were certainly caused at the refinery or the holding company, it may just be pure chance that the first delivery of the contaminated fuel was to a Supermarket and not a local station.

But the premise of the argument was that Supermarkets were to blame, all we have are a series of unconnected and seemingly random problems.

The premise of my argument though would be that fuel quality incidents aren't randomly distributed. Google 'Shell fuel contamination', and then 'Tesco fuel contamination'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom