This is rich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulStewart

Car
W124 E220 Estate 1995
Got quote from a rapid fitting service for replacement front cat for the w124 1995 est: 2 qoutes one for 650 +vat and one for £411 incl vat.

Turns out that there were none of the more expensive items in stock so I askled what maufacturer they were from; did not know but then found out they were from a supplier in Chester.

Called them up and from them direct is £135 incuding vat and fittings.

Now I know you may respond with well thats just consumer power and shopping around: Correct but why the £300 mark up?

Greedy gits.

thing is I would much prefer a second hand unit if I could find one and the money to afford a genuine for £700 + vat.

Any way it just rattled my cage and I had to get it off my chest:mad:

I am not blind to the requirements of running a business and could understand a reasonable mark up: Didn't expect to get a non synical response, serves me right for posting.:bannana:

Are you comparing like with like? I presume the first two quotes were for the parts including fitting. And the £135 for the part only?

PaulStewart said:
Got quote from a rapid fitting service for replacement front cat for the w124 1995 est: 2 qoutes one for 650 +vat and one for £411 incl vat. Turns out that there were none of the more expensive items in stock so I askled what maufacturer they were from; did not know but then found out they were from a supplier in Chester. Called them up and from them direct is £135 incuding vat and fittings. Now I know you may respond with well thats just consumer power and shopping around: Correct but why the £300 mark up? Greedy gits. thing is I would much prefer a second hand unit if I could find one and the money to afford a genuine for £700 + vat. Any way it just rattled my cage and I had to get it off my chest:mad:

Fecking joke mate!

I did the cat on my 1995 E220 estate (snap!) myself for the last MOT - bought one via eBay, for just over £100 inc delivery. However, the fit really wasn't great - the alignment of the entry and exit pipes just wasn't right. Got it through the MOT though, and hasn't given me any trouble since... given the previous owner had a straight-through pipe fitted, I'm not surprised it didn't pass before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom