This mornings moron.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
For those of you that deal with the public, you'll understand the frustration of the following.......

A customer came in and bought a few tiles during the week, not much, about 6 sq/m, they didn't want to pay for collection so asked us to put them in the back of her car....

We made a little wood frame to stop them sliding around and keep them intact until she arrived home.

I get a call this morning.....

"The wood frame and the tiles have scratched the plastic boot lining of my new car. It's a new car and I'm really upset about it and you're responsible"......

I despair...I deal with this nonsense on a daily basis.:crazy:

Surely you went above and beyond building a little frame for them.

Had they gone to B&Q they would have had no help.

Once in the car it must be their responsibility? whats to say she didn't throw it round a few roundabouts and they have slid?

No proof it wasn't damaged before, sound like they are trying it on.

Difficult for you as you want to uphold your good name but you do get a feel for the ones that try it on. If genuine and a problem occurs your more likely to come to an arrangement.

By 'your responsible' is she expecting you to fix it or pay? out of interest what car was it.

By 'your responsible' is she expecting you to fix it or pay? out of interest what car was it.

Correct...expecting me to pay for a new piece of plastic.

Car is "58" Rav 4

She can whistle.....

The phrase "they didn't want to pay for collection so asked us to put them in the back of her car...." is surely your "get out" clause here?

Are you abe to answer without swearing what you are going to do?

I mean if I pick wood, rads, tiles in my car I put down old carpets and cover everything.

Surely its down to the buyer once they are in the car?

You sould have just chucked them all over the rear seats :)

Maye give them some free grout and make sure the lids off a bit....See their faces when they get home with that all over the boot.

Muppets

I was very calm on the phone...just said "Thanks for letting me know"....and then remained silent....people never quite know what to do if you say nothing, they are always expecting a reaction or explanation.....

It's incredible how people can't deal with silence....

She'll bring it in and I'll explain calmly that if she chooses to collect building materials in the boot of her car, then the condition of the boot of her car is her responsibility. If she wishes to take this up with my insurers she can, and she'll be laughed all the way home....

Feel for you... some people :rolleyes:

I do the 'silent' trick a lot, works wonders. I get many complaints my way (can't think why) and when I state facts and let them engineer themselves out of it (i.e. by me staying quiet they realise they actually have nowhere to go, they seem very sad that I don't want to argue) :D

Even just being calm and polite people find it hard.

I don't think they are use it, probably expect you to go off on one.

good call have her bring it down, more fuel for her, inconviennece etc make he wish she paid delivery :)

In fact be out when she comes so she has to come back :)

Rav4

Brand new? Rav 4

Classic :D

Just a little point,My wife has owned a Rav 4 11 years, in all that time we have had one backbox two batteries,4 tyres and a few services....the alloy wheels are still pristine it drives superb the air/con works fine and no probs from the autobox.....should have been replaced years ago but why? is now a part of the family plus of course anyone can service it.65000 miles a walk in the park! Wish I could say that about the many Mercedes I have owned over the years.

In fact be out when she comes so she has to come back :)

classic.

then call her the minute she gets home saying you are sorry but she must have just left as you returned.

then ask about these tiles that are scratched, and when she corrects you, say you are sorry, but you must have misunderstood and you thought the car had scratch the tiles.

that might get her back in touch with reality.

Mind you, its bloody annoying when someone doesn't look after your pride and joy. If that is the car of her dreams, and spent her money on it, I can see why she is upset. Still, emotional or not, its not your fault, so its not your responsiblity.

Pity you can't offer something to appease her but where would you stop if you did.

Sadly resurecting this thread.......

The said woman in the original post wouldn't let this go.....I passed it to my insurers, filled in the relevant forms and forgot about it.

A month ago I get a money claims on line summons thing ....it appears, as common sense would suggest, my insurer has told her to whistle.

That's not good enough, so she issues a small claim application....I pass this to my insurers as I'm insured against idiots (in not so many words but you get the gist).

Lots of tooing and frowing with the legal department of Royal Sun Alliance....I get a letter earlier this week asking me for permission to to settle on a without prejudice basis due to the cost of defending the claim being more than the cost of simply settling......oh and as your excess is £250 you'll actually have to pay it.

Nice....So I wrote a curt letter explaining that it wasn't my problem that it costs more to defend than the claim itself is, after all that's what I'm paying insurance for. However if RSA felt like saving a few hundred quid they were welcome to pay the woman themselves and save the legal costs if they wish, but they'll have more chance of finding Elvis on a routemaster singing summer holiday on the moon before I'm going to part with a penny to this woman.....I'm yet to recieve a response.

I'm expecting them to tell me to stick it, in which case I'll defend the case myself and appear in court if necessary on principal.

Good for you mate !!

What a joker ...

How much for the bit of plastic that was scratched? Surely it would be less than £100? R & SA are being silly.

I'm expecting them to tell me to stick it, in which case I'll defend the case myself and appear in court if necessary on principal.
Well done and good luck,but sadly she is no different from just about everyone in todays modern society.

Itis simply NEVER our fault.

Slipped ona wet floor?? Then phone 08000*******

Had an accident at work then phone 0800 ******

It is never our fault and we all think we have to sue someone. She is doing just that and it is sad.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on..... unless you loose; then DO NOT tell me as I will get REALLY angry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom