This one crops up every so often, but still makes me laugh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Sir,

I am writing in response to your request for additional information.

I put "poor planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found that I had some bricks left over which must have weighed in excess of 300lbs.

Rather than carry the bricks down by hand I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley, which was attached to the side of the building on the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the bricks.

You will note from Section 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 135lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and did not let go of the rope. I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

At the third floor I met the barrel, which was proceeding down at equal speed, hence the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collar bone, as listed in section 3 of the accident report form.

Slowed only slightly by the impact, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until my right hand was deep into the pulley block. Fortunately I was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of beginning to experience great pain.

At the same moment the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out. Now relieved of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs. and I began a rapid descent.

At the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and several lacerations of my legs and lower body.

At this point my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks that had fallen out of the barrel. Only three vertebrae were fractured.

However, as I lay stunned on the pile of bricks, in great pain and unable to move, I let go of the rope. This explains the two broken legs.

I hope this helps.

Yours,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom