This week's competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
So Harrythedog having failed to collect the bottle of wine for winning my 18 questions guess the new car thread (he's had a week, the first Geordie I've come across not to move heaven and earth to get free booze), it is available for the alternative caption competion. The best caption (at my sole discretion) for this photo wins. For those who have never met the estimable Mr Baker, aka Trapperjohn of this forum, that is he at the wheel of my Allard. (I kept the key, I'm not that mad).

Last edited:
"Charles, it has stopped moving. Will you put another 50p in the slot please?"

allardjohn5_zpsfb7126f1.jpg

Harry Potter and the Lancastrian Trials

As classic cars are not renowned for their heated seats, one's man-servant is gainfully employed warming up the drivers seat prior to the daily jaunt to the wine merchant

Deformable plastic bumpers eh ! Wait'll they get a load of me down the Waitrose carpark. [ with apologies to Jack Nicholson in the original Batman ]

John Says
"I wish I could get out of this old boneshaker and into that comfy XM..."

Charles says
"No, no, John...look like you're enjoying it for the photo..."

Not a caption, but what is going on with the grille??
Surely it's not original? It looks very odd

Absolutely stock grille. That's how they were.

800px-Allard_M1_1948.jpg

Ok, please excuse my ignorance.
It is odd that it is so much larger than the aperture.
How old is the car, please?

Grinners are winners said the Allard to The Trapper.

Ere, got a new motor John...

It's 1949 Smatt.

The grille is larger because originally the opening through to the radiator was much larger, but the engine cooling was not great (a problem with the flathead Ford V8s of the time) and by reducing the opening size it concentrated the airflow on the radiator. Being a small manufacturer they stuck with the parts they had and then later used a smaller grille when they ran out!.

3317737.jpg

Last edited:
Seems the Allard isn't the only one with a flat head....

The VRN matches the driver (Lancashire dialect ) FOW........ ugly...sorry John.:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

I'm guessing Johns Thinking

How many more cars will Charles make me sit in before he gives me the bottle I won in that competition

Trapper says " Not sure why I'm smiling I'll never reverse this bugger into that garage behind me!"

Charles says " No you won't - which is why I still have the keys"

Hard-of-hearing TJ was most disappointed.
When Charles said "Would you like a good go in my heavenly Allard?" TJ thought he said "would you like a good go with Beverley Callard?"

Well remembered Ted. Though Dr Beverly Crusher is more my style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom