Those on NTL BB...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
... The promised free speed upgrades kick in today. :bannana:

300K -> 1Mbit (100k upload), You need to request this online from the ntlworld.com homepage.

750k -> 2Mbit (200k upload), Should be automatic depending on your location.

1.5Mbit -> 3Mbit (300k upload), again should be automatic upgrade.

The only real bummer to be wary of is that the 1Mbit service is capped to 3GB/month I think. The 2 & 3 meg services are capped to 1GB/day. :(

Digital Spy Linky

Just thought I'd share the heads-up as I've seen it mentioned previously. Took me 20 seconds to move up from 300k to 1Mbit :D :rock: Not bad for a freebie.

S.

Cool :D Will check this when I get home - was on 750k!

Know of any good download speed test sites?

cool - will be looking out for our letter then :bannana: we're on 750 atm

Cool but uncool, 3gb a month limit :(

Not happy

Where do you request it?

KillerHERTZ said:
Cool but uncool, 3gb a month limit :(

Not happy
Agree with you on that one but I'm not really a high volume user so I think I'll be able to live with the 3Gb/month cap (for now).

KillerHERTZ said:
Where do you request it?
Here :)

S.

but if you a set top box you have to do it by phone :crazy: Guess who's hanging on the telephone? and it aint Blondie :D

:D yay - and it's all done :D

quick speed check methinks ;)

I thought the STB's were only good enough for a max of 1Mbit? Won't they be delivering a new cable modem to you Pammy? I think the cable modems are good for 40Mbit/s IIRC, shame ntl's network isn't :p

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I thought the STB's were only good enough for a max of 1Mbit? Won't they be delivering a new cable modem to you Pammy? I think the cable modems are good for 40Mbit/s IIRC, shame ntl's network isn't :p

S.

depends which stb you have. If you've got the old black pace box then it can only do 1mb. But as I have a nice shiney silver Samsung - I'm fine :D

Just waiting for it to kick on now. :rolleyes:

edited

mmm - not working any faster just yet :(

Last edited:
dunno - I guess they'll do what they did last time and just upgrade you without telling you.

KillerHERTZ said:
So what happens if you dont upgrade?
Nothing, you just stay at 300K service on your old terms and conditions. If you make the jump to 1meg you then cannot jump back to 300k at a later date.

@Pammy, ahh yeah the silver Samsung boxes are meant to be much better. I have an original Pace STB and it's been a pig for the last few months, e.g. slow EPG etc., but it's become much better/stable since the latest software upgrade that installs the new VOD service.

S.

mine's no faster yet :(

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:18:27 UTC
1st 128K took 1472 ms = 89043 Bytes/sec = approx 741 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1462 ms = 89653 Bytes/sec = approx 746 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1462 ms = 89653 Bytes/sec = approx 746 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1472 ms = 89043 Bytes/sec = approx 741 kbits/sec

Steve_Perry said:
I have an original Pace STB and it's been a pig for the last few months, .

you want to make them come and swap it out. I've been through 3 of the black pace boxes. They work for so long then the constant drop outs from the BB was ridiculous. Had to reset upwards of a dozen times a day. Had o prob's since having the Samsung.

pammy said:
you want to make them come and swap it out. I've been through 3 of the black pace boxes. They work for so long then the constant drop outs from the BB was ridiculous. Had to reset upwards of a dozen times a day. Had o prob's since having the Samsung.
I prefer to stick with my original box for as long as poss for two reasons...

- it has stereo audio out which links to my 5.1 amp, all modern ntl boxes no longer have this.

- my box outputs S-video and the picture quality is awesome on the telly, even though generally RGB is meant to be better than S-video. If I got a new one then I'd have too many boxes outputting RGB and not enough RGB SCART inputs on the back of the telly :rolleyes:

*EDIT* My BB is routed via a separate cable modem, I think ntl use AMBIT.

S.

I have the new Samsung, and looks great with my Samsung telly, but your right, no audio out :(

Well - after a delightful internet free night - guess which numpties didn't do the upgrade but cancelled the account :crazy: Have now got everything back n working - and it is very fast

Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:31:17 UTC
1st 128K took 541 ms = 242277 Bytes/sec = approx 2016 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 531 ms = 246840 Bytes/sec = approx 2054 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 531 ms = 246840 Bytes/sec = approx 2054 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 530 ms = 247306 Bytes/sec = approx 2058 kbits/sec
:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

pammy said:
Well - after a delightful internet free night - guess which numpties didn't do the upgrade but cancelled the account :crazy: Have now got everything back n working - and it is very fast...
That's NTL for ya :rolleyes: but I must say they have improved their customer services tremendously as a ****-up of that nature would have taken them months to sort out in the past :devil: :p

Glad you got it sorted in the end. :cool: :bannana:

I wonder just how "I'd like to upgrade my BB please" gets translated into "they want to cancel their account"? :eek:

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom