Thought I was, then I wasn't, now I am....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smarty

I joined the forum a few months ago as I thought I was going to get what I have always wanted, a Mercedes Estate. Circumstances changed and it was no longer an option. ...but....
Now, wow, I have some cash (and blessings of b & c) I find myself looking again.
I wanted an estate for us and two large dogs... I will want to tow a small caravan occassionally also. Above all else need economy. Is that too much to ask?
I am keeping my little 107 for town trips and work so only using the estate at weekends, so would petrol be better over diesel?
I have 8-9 k but could stretch further if the right one came along.
We tend to be a couple who buy and care for and keep, not always the best economical way but if we put the care in we like to reap the rewards for as many years as we can.
Main question is what engine is best for economy but will cope with towing?
Originall did like the idea of two extra seats, but from advice listened to about safety not so sure.
Thanks in advance for replies.
Smarty:cool:

So it took a little longer than the OP thought to get round to it. So what? Don't be so smart-a***d, gentlemen.

How big are the dogs? I can get two Old English Sheepdogs quite comfortably in the back of my W211 E-class estate, but you really need somebody who has had both E-class and C-class estates to tell you whether the load area size difference means a C-class would be too small.

I'm an AMG owner, so I can tell you nothing about economy (except that an AMG would not be suitable...) other than that you will be looking for a diesel. The weight of the caravan may be significant, too. There are plenty of diesel owners on here, and no doubt some of them will be along shortly to give you a few ideas.

Get over yourself.^

i would suggest a petrol e class unless you are doing a lot of miles at the weekend.

OP...get an E class, w211.

Seconded.

I had a C class estate and even MB termed it a "Lifestyle" estate, rather than a load lugger. My Labrador couldn't sit up without banging his head on the sloping tailgate window.

I joined the forum a few months ago as I thought I was going to get what I have always wanted, a Mercedes Estate. Circumstances changed and it was no longer an option. ...but....
Now, wow, I have some cash (and blessings of b & c) I find myself looking again.
I wanted an estate for us and two large dogs... I will want to tow a small caravan occassionally also. Above all else need economy. Is that too much to ask?
I am keeping my little 107 for town trips and work so only using the estate at weekends, so would petrol be better over diesel?
I have 8-9 k but could stretch further if the right one came along.
We tend to be a couple who buy and care for and keep, not always the best economical way but if we put the care in we like to reap the rewards for as many years as we can.
Main question is what engine is best for economy but will cope with towing?
Originall did like the idea of two extra seats, but from advice listened to about safety not so sure.
Thanks in advance for replies.
Smarty:cool:

As others have said , go for an E Class : more mass to keep caravan under control ; self levelling suspension standard on all E Class , only a few C class have it as an option ; more room inside and more comfort than smaller C Class .

Only bother with 7 seats if you really will use them , otherwise they occupy storage space under boot floor when not in use ; presumably your dogs will travel in boot area anyway ?

For towing , you'd be better with a six cylinder , all will drop mpg when towing but six will cope better than a four , although four will give better fuel economy when solo . If you aren't going to do high mileage I'd be looking for something like an E320 . Depends to an extent on weight of caravan to be towed ; any E Class will manage , but the smaller engined variants will work harder on uphill gradients and drop gears more .

I towed large twin axle caravans for years with numerous cars : W114 280E , W123 280TE , W124 300TE and 300TE-24 all managed easily ; when I started driving I towed my dad's Thomson Gleneagle caravan with his W115 220/8 and really , while it managed , we had to go right down the box to climb some hills ; towing the same caravan with my six cylinder 280E ( same body shell ) was effortless and much easier to keep up progress so as not to be holding up other traffic on main roads . My two W124's I'd imagine not all that different in towing capability to the S211 suggested above , and a six cylinder S211 would be my suggestion also .

Seconded.

I had a C class estate and even MB termed it a "Lifestyle" estate, rather than a load lugger. My Labrador couldn't sit up without banging his head on the sloping tailgate window.

I should also mention I had an S203 C270CDI which has been the most unreliable car I have owned , besides after purchase turning out to be much less able in the load carrying stakes - the boot area is SO much smaller !

Wow did not realise when I joined..... (obviously those on here with youth on their side did) ... So I don't rush into things....
Thanks for the suggestions... I will try and answer a few.
We have one Newfoundland at the moment and getting another in the next 12 months. The big brown boy in the avatar passed away in January of this year with his sister going just before him late last year.
I was thinking of an E class estate, but seemed so many variants.
I will only use the Mercedes at weekends when going round and about with dogs, with going away in the caravan maybe 3 times a year but only around Briton.
The caravan is just a small 2 berth.
Is there a simple way of knowing the engine is 6 cylinders from model?
Both diesel and petrol have been suggested, I like the idea of diesel so I am prepared to do a few miles when I do use it at the weekend (short trip will be at least 80-100 miles).
So given I would like an E class... Now what size engine, seen good reports for the 2.2 or do I go bigger?
Smarty

I'd be looking at a E280 cdi at a minimum and preferably a E320cdi for towing.
Try and get a post 2006 model if possible to avoid SBC braking.

Check the car you chose is type approved for towing.
We are currently looking at the E Cabriolet and only the lowest engine output is type approved:dk:WTF:dk:

Check the car you chose is type approved for towing.
We are currently looking at the E Cabriolet and only the lowest engine output is type approved:dk:WTF:dk:

Similarly with AMG's - which is a bummer if you wanted your caravan to do 0-60 in c5 secs...

I'd be looking at a E280 cdi at a minimum and preferably a E320cdi for towing.
Try and get a post 2006 model if possible to avoid SBC braking.

basically, there's all the information you need in one post OP.....good sound advice

Now starts the search... try and find a low mileage, young E280 or E320 CDI diesel estate.... In budget....
Thanks for the guidance... will update with what I find....

Smarty

I recently got a low mileage 2007 e280, I can tell you they are all over £10k for low mileage good condition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom