Thought provoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
I make no other comment than this is the best read I have had in a long time, and thought it worth sharing.

As a child my parents took me to their work places, not a coal mine, but an engineering office and a hospital. You begin to learn what adult work is and where money comes from. Well worthwhile.

Usually I just browse at something like that. Made an exception here and read it all through.

Glad I did.

Well worth a read that,thank you Ted for sharing it
My day used to drive up and down the country supplying dynamite to the mines

I read this yesterday and agree with it being a very well-written and thoughtful piece.

My Welsh grandfather was sent down the pit at the age of 15 having been to grammar school. He enlisted with the South Wales Borderers the earliest he could to escape.

Thanks Ted for posting. My father joined the Para's as soon as he was able but certainly could not take me there thank goodness. Reading a story like that does make you appreciate what some people had to do to put food on the table.

I had a string idea which story this was before I opened the link, I actually read it last night.

You sound very proud of your dad, they were cut from a different cloth those lads, sadly mostly missing in today's society.
And rightly so! They had fewer choices than today and we need to remember for every celebrated Einstein or Brahms,or similarly gifted people there are a thousand out there whose abilities go unseen.

Every generation has said that about present day youth and every generation has been proved wrong.
It was written on the walls of Pompeii,and the Oxford Union passed a resolution in 1933 that it would not fight for King and Country,but they did.

I'm afraid it is a sign of us all getting older and not seeing that behind all the glitter that modern youth is the same as it has always been. It will rise to meet the challenge.

Last edited:
^ Agreed...like blaming young drivers for all the woes we face on the road...yet forgetting we were the young drivers before them who did it all wrong first.

I'm afraid it is a sign of us all getting older and not seeing that behind all the glitter that modern youth is the same as it has always been. It will rise to meet the challenge.

You misunderstand my point, I wasn't referring to just the 'youth of today' I was referring to society as a whole.

I remember being young and everyone knew nearly everyone in my area, the pit villages even more so, but we are now surrounded by the likes of IKEA and Amazon 'employing' people on zero hours contracts with zero job security.

Progress eh? Feels more like the clock has been turned back 100 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom