Thoughts and questions on new c250 vs 530d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kkrazykool

Car
C250 Blue Efficiency Sport Auto
I am a newbie to the site so don't be too harsh if I've raised this on the wrong forum category but...

I finally got my new w204 delivered last Friday :) and although I had a C class about 7 years ago have forgotten what MB is all about. Having been driving a 530d for the past 4 years I've had to do some adjusting to size and feeling of the two vehicles - I really like the 530d but was too expensive to replace and wanted something different.

Anyway I like the w204 (c250) sport auto it is more responsive and on paper at least quicker than the 530d, little more comfier also. I love the Comand APS with fold-out screen and stereo!

So questions, I wondered if anyone has managed to get their Blackberry contacts to show on the system. I can make and receive calls via bluetooth but cannot see the contact names - I got used to this in the 530!

Secondly is there a way of transfering MP3s from USB onto the hard drive? I've had a flick through the manual and sounded as though it could only be done from CD or DVD.

Thirdly, the navigation works but does it really only support 4 digit post-codes and
should I have got a navigation DVD from the dealership or not?

Last edited:
Sounds nice, the car should handle better too being smaller and more agile. its really an apples and pears comparison as a 530d is more akin to an E250cdi or e350cdi

First off, Hi and welcome! Now to your questions...
So questions, I wondered if anyone has managed to get their Blackberry contacts to show on the system. I can make and receive calls via bluetooth but cannot see the contact names - I got used to this in the 530!
I take it you're using the standard Bluetooth connection and not a cradle via phone pre-wire? Assuming that to be the case then you have to import your contacts from your Blackberry to the COMAND system. I've done this on a W204 with Audio 20 so I know your car will "talk" to your Blackberry's contacts list. Take a look in the COMAND manual for instructions as to how to do the import, or follow the instructions here.
Secondly is there a way of transfering MP3s from USB onto the hard drive? I've had a flick through the manual and sounded as though it could only be done from CD or DVD.!
On my wife's SLK you can import from the memory card slot or form the CD/DVD, but I haven't experimented with importing from a USB-attached device, but I don't think it supports importing from there; I believe the functionality is similar on the W204
Thirdly, the navigation works but does it really only support 4 digit post-codes and should I have got a navigation DVD from the dealership or not?
AFAIK all the HDD Comand systems support 7-digit UK postcodes - certainly the one in my wife's SLK does - and no, you shouldn't have received a navigation DVD with the car as the cartography is already installed on the HDD.

It's very difficult to transfer Blackberry contacts because, with the Storm anyway, there is no facility to 'mark' all the contacts and BT them across. What I did was to deregister the Blackberry, borrow the wife's Nokia, register the Nokia, BT the contacts across, deregister the Nokia, connect the Blackberry and bingo they're all there.

Glad you like your W204 250CDI Sport. I love mine which I've had for a couple of weeks. Bit disappointed with the MPG but I suppose it will improve when the engine loosens up. :)

Hi Geezer, hmm... that is what I was afraid of. I have say I am a little surprised that it is not straight forward. I have the blackberry 8310 curve and from the link kindly supplied by st13phil, it appears contacts transfer do not appear to be a feature. Frustrating... but I suspect your suggested way is probably the quickest way of getting it in there. I'll need to hunt all the draws in the house to find my old nokia... thanks!

Update:
AFAIK all the HDD Comand systems support 7-digit UK postcodes
Having read a post by Alfie, it appears that I'm incorrect in my assumption and that COMAND in the W204 only supports 5-digit postcodes. Sorry to have misled you :eek:
What I did was to deregister the Blackberry, borrow the wife's Nokia, register the Nokia, BT the contacts across, deregister the Nokia, connect the Blackberry and bingo they're all there.
You can have multiple handsets registered to the car (up to 10 from memory), so there's no real need to go through the register / de-register process unless you particularly want to. Even if you and your wife get into the car together with your respective phones, the car will automatically "pair" with the last connected phone and only swap over to the other if you tell it to.
Bit disappointed with the MPG but I suppose it will improve when the engine loosens up. :)
And when your right foot gets a bit lighter ;) :D

I definitely like the drive of the c250. The dealer told me not to push the car until it has been 'driven in' for about 800 miles, is this right? I thought that Mercs don't need to be for some reason?

It's very difficult to transfer Blackberry contacts because, with the Storm anyway, there is no facility to 'mark' all the contacts and BT them across. What I did was to deregister the Blackberry, borrow the wife's Nokia, register the Nokia, BT the contacts across, deregister the Nokia, connect the Blackberry and bingo they're all there.

Glad you like your W204 250CDI Sport. I love mine which I've had for a couple of weeks. Bit disappointed with the MPG but I suppose it will improve when the engine loosens up. :)
It would be great to stay in contact to compare notes on your thoughts on the c250 and how it compares with what you've had in the past.
Also I noticed that the service booklet didn't actually contain any pages for dealer stamps, I guess this is all computerised right?

I definitely like the drive of the c250. The dealer told me not to push the car until it has been 'driven in' for about 800 miles, is this right? I thought that Mercs don't need to be for some reason?
it's a Merc - the first 100K should see if run in nicely.:D

It would be great to stay in contact to compare notes on your thoughts on the c250 and how it compares with what you've had in the past.
Also I noticed that the service booklet didn't actually contain any pages for dealer stamps, I guess this is all computerised right?

Correct, no more stamps - end of an era! :(

Now done 600 miles in mine! Going to do 900 or so before using all the power/manual gears etc. It's not disappointing me but takes getting used to. I haven't had a four cylinder engine for years. There is an enormous difference in responsiveness between sport and comfort mode. Everything feels tight at the moment so given that the fuel consumption is OK but nothing like advertised! My 320 cdi was running better at 50000 miles than at 1000miles so I think the best is to come. Most of all I like the look of the sport estate and the gizmos such as linguatronic and bluetooth are great.

Now done 600 miles in mine! Going to do 900 or so before using all the power/manual gears etc. It's not disappointing me but takes getting used to. I haven't had a four cylinder engine for years. There is an enormous difference in responsiveness between sport and comfort mode. Everything feels tight at the moment so given that the fuel consumption is OK but nothing like advertised! My 320 cdi was running better at 50000 miles than at 1000miles so I think the best is to come. Most of all I like the look of the sport estate and the gizmos such as linguatronic and bluetooth are great.
Hi Rothbury, that sounds familiar going from 6 to 4 cylinders, but can't quite put my finger on what feels different. I have to say when pushed it sounds a little rougher but when driven normally it feels super smooth and also very impressed with how quiet it is. Not so quiet first thing on a cold morning though.

I wasn't sure about c250 vs c350 but liked the economy of the 4 cylinder. Though the thought of that 7speed box was almost enough to go for the 6 cylinder. I am pleasantly surprised by how smooth the 5speed auto on the c250. I guess this will improve with a few more miles...

Hi Rothbury, that sounds familiar going from 6 to 4 cylinders, but can't quite put my finger on what feels different. I have to say when pushed it sounds a little rougher but when driven normally it feels super smooth and also very impressed with how quiet it is. Not so quiet first thing on a cold morning though....

You'll find the c250 will transmit more vibration, its not as smooth as an I6 engine you had in the BMW. The noise is/will be harsher and will be completely different in tone too. The reason its smooth in normal driving is simply because it has so much torque and power the engine wont be working that hard

I wasn't sure about c250 vs c350 but liked the economy of the 4 cylinder. Though the thought of that 7speed box was almost enough to go for the 6 cylinder. I am pleasantly surprised by how smooth the 5speed auto on the c250. I guess this will improve with a few more miles...

5 speed box is a tried, tested and proven part. Its a good gearbox.

I was speaking to a Merc dealer (salesman) last night and discussin car kits - he advised to avoid Blackberry's - appears they are aware there are issues with it.

Mine works fine, now. :)

Adding contacts to COMAND on w204 from Blackberry 8310

I just thought I would let you know that I managed to add contacts from my Blackberry to the Mercs address book via bluetooth.

It was probably mentioned in the manual - but I get bored of the merc manuals very easily.:doh:

I selected the Bluetooth setting on the Merc then there was a setting for sending business contacts (or similar words) and the screen then shows waiting for contacts...

On the off chance I went into my blackberry bluetooth settings, and found the MB Bluetooth pairing and went into options for that, then I saw there was an option to 'Transfer Address Book', there was a long pause then I noticed on the Merc, the contact count was increasing from zero!

Hope that helps Someone!
Kulvinder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom