Thoughts on Audi A1?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Macan is the only new car out there that I actually want.

New Range Rover as well, but out of my budget. :(

Macan is the only new car out there that I actually want.

New Range Rover as well, but out of my budget. :(

The Macan Turbo seems fair value too.

Range Rover are doing a good job of offering Kahn-style and traditional RR, although traditional appears to be losing (in terms of numbers) based on what I've seen the last few days.

Looks nice, have they got a decent engine yet?

Only tiddlers but as this is me being Eco-friendly and city car-esque, that's probably a good thing :D

Nine speed auto makes the 190PS diesel fairly brisk off the line but a little limp at motorway speeds.

View attachment 41835

Last edited:
If I was dropping that sort of money I would have to have a nice engine.

A pal of mine who is a real petrol head has just bought an 800cc 2 stroke Alfa Mito.

Loves it and says it's a real hoot to drive. Dirt cheap to own, run and has zero road tax.

Two stroke?

Mercedes A45/CLA45 AMG
- Dealership awful, all sales people and reception just ignored us. We wandered around a few times and it's par for the course :wallbash:
- As we were leaving, a young salesman dashed over, and he was jolly helpful.
- No car available to drive and no idea when in might be possible.
- He was a really nice guy, in a poor dealership :fail:

It does seem that there are lots of cars being bought and the moment, and so the there's no need to sell. Shocking service generally.

A45/CLA45 AMG and i3 next...

I have no idea how MB Birmingham sell any cars.

I called into MB Birmingham a few weeks ago. Nobody took an interest in us so we sat in the new ML63. That got a salesman's attention though, as he wanted us out of it, especially because when he came over and asked "Would you like to buy this ML63 AMG?" in a rather condescending way, I answered "No, just thought I would try it on for size. I'm here to look at an A-Class". He didn't like it. :D

I said I had spotted an A45 AMG in the car park and hoped I could take it for a test drive. The salesman was full of excuses why I couldn't, and even said it was a customers car, even though it had a sign hanging from the sun visor! :fail:

He asked which car I plan to replace and I answered "C32 AMG". He then suggested that maybe he could arrange a car for me to drive and surprise surprise it was the car I had spotted. :wallbash:

He asked us to sit down whilst he took details from my driving license. Trying to defrost his frosty start he went on to ask Mrs D "So do you like the AMG product?", which was a strange way of phrasing the question, and Mrs D of course said she did. He went on to ask "Which one would you like to have?", and Mrs D said "I have an ML63 so perhaps another one of those". His face was a picture. :devil:

He completely changed his tune and couldn't have been more different. Too late though, I had formed my opinion as soon as he had. He got his wrong though.

I had a go in the A45 AMG and it was a jolly nice car. I didn't have the opportunity to put my foot down but it felt sprightly. I was assured that the car had a standard exhaust but it surprised me just how raspy it sounded from inside. I wasn't blown away, and the promised call didn't materialise, and so the search continued.

Unfortunately I missed the i3 test drive as I had forgotten that Junior D was singing in the cathedral at the same time, so the i3 lost that game of top trumps.

I'd be really interested to hear thoughts on the Audi A1, especially the 1.6 TDi.

For a while I've been considering something dinky and frugal for commuting, but had previously dismissed the A1 because it was pricey next to say a Polo.

Polo diesel ("Bluemotion") has been at the top of the list for a while.

I've been thinking today about what I'll miss most if switching to a smaller car for commuting, so the challenge is to find a small car which has these features:

Auto gearbox
Xenon lights
Cruise control
Premium audio
Heated seats
Leather seats*

*Strangely I've not been a fan of leather seats - too Goldilocks for me, too hot, too cold - but I've been thinking that a custom retrim would really help to make the inside of the car feel more special.

Maybe I'm one of the 0.00000000001% of people who might consider a Cygnet! In fact I'll go see what the second hand prices are like now!

Any bright ideas on small commuter cars which do the above without being an A45 AMG?

But none of this matters does it? The OP wants a small car - let him have one.

I've signed the paperwork on a new car today - care to guess what it might be?

A small clue: it's new and ałl must-have features listed above are on the new car?

Bobby Dazzler said:
I've signed the paperwork on a new car today - care to guess what it might be? A small clue: it's new and ałl must-have features listed above are on the new car?

Hmmm, is it a small car though, or did you get something bigger?

Good thought: I'd already done a deal on a car when I found out just how good the deals are at the moment, else otherwise I think I might have been tempted.

Bobby Dazzler said:
You clearly read me well: no, it's not particularly small!!

Was going to say i3, but I figured you may have deviated from the brief!
Did you go for a Macan?

Was going to say i3, but I figured you may have deviated from the brief!
Did you go for a Macan?

You could say that!! :D

I've ordered an Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDi [313] Quattro Black Edition...

...the name is the only thing longer than car!!

I haven't even sat in one, let alone driven one but with 313PS and 650NM out of the box it ought to be pretty good to drive. The deal was just too good to miss though.

I might call in to the Audi dealer later to see if I've done the right thing. :eek:

Bobby Dazzler said:
You could say that!! :D I've ordered an Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDi [313] Quattro Black Edition... ...the name is the only thing longer than car!! I haven't even sat in one, let alone driven one but with 313PS and 650NM out of the box it ought to be pretty good to drive. The deal was just too good to miss though. I might call in to the Audi dealer later to see if I've done the right thing. :eek:

Haha, starting out looking for an A1 as a city car and coming out with an A6 Avant that's classic!

That sounds really nice, A6 Quattros are nice. Love Avants too and 313PS and 650NM sounds like you can't go wrong :)

What I've seen with leasing is that you need to find models that are fully loaded as standard, cars in stock in your colour choice are all you need to find then. Adding any extras kills the cost.

Haha, starting out looking for an A1 as a city car and coming out with an A6 Avant that's classic!

That sounds really nice, A6 Quattros are nice. Love Avants too and 313PS and 650NM sounds like you can't go wrong :)

What I've seen with leasing is that you need to find models that are fully loaded as standard, cars in stock in your colour choice are all you need to find then. Adding any extras kills the cost.

This one's coming from the factory, so like Sep/Oct delivery, but as you say the cost whizzed up when you add extras. The Black Edition is nicely specified as standard, but curiously heated seats are still an option, so that's the only thing I've added.

It comes with LED/Bi-Xenon, leather, electric seats, piano black trim, cruise, navi, DAB, BOSE, Media Interface, telephone integration, 20 inch wheels, body styling, power tailgate, ...plus heated seats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom