Thoughts on BMW M5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some very nice Astons there. POA tends to give away that they are a bit out of my league though. But they are a very good store of value, and look at the price of the older ones.

I agree, that if you change the question to "How would you spend £80k on a car or cars?" then some of the suggestions here are great. However, I am more interested in a driver's/buyer's view on the comparison between the current MB e63 (and Audis/Jags) and M5. Specifically if you think the BMW has some better features what would you ask AMG to change/improve on the e63?

Please don't tell me that:(, I really had set my sights on a 700+ BHP RS6 in the next couple of years to replace the E55.

Back at the end of 2008 I bought a 3.2fsi A6 Quattro Avant from Peterborough Audi, it was up at £18,000 and we agreed £12750 and for the Dension 500 ipod adapter to be fitted and 4 new Pilot Sport 2 tyres to be fitted all round.
It was 2 years old with 30k miles on it, and booked at £22,000 at the time.

Cars were not selling.

A month later they called me asking if I would be interested in the Mugello Blue RS6 avant I had been drooling over when I had collected my A6.
Long story short they would do it for £38k and give me a £27k balloon after 3 years, with no deposit, them buying the A6 back off me at the price I had paid a month before, it worked out at just under £400 a month.

This was a year old car that cost £80,000.

I was obviously round there next day to take it out.
However, it was hugely disappointing. The ride was jittery and the whole thing just felt removed, don't get me wrong, no more removed than my A6, but this was an RS.
I suddenly thought back to my S4 and how I had always wanted one, and then how sick I felt when I was driving home in it and realising it was a terrible car in so many ways.
By the time we had got out of town the DIS was showing 9mpg and I already knew that this just wasn't a car I would enjoy but would be something that I would end up hating.
Took it for a blast and it was super quick, but it was an on/off quick and hardly exciting.

End of the test drive showed 13mpg, it was not comfy, and didn't make me want it at all.
I could have been in that car for £8 a month more than my 3.2fsi, but I still said 'No'.

I would take your E55 over the RS6 every day of the week.

Pure Rita Hayworth/Gilda syndrome!

Huh??

I am ashamed to say that I have never seen Gilda. :(

It's a dream/reality reference.

A famous quote of Rita Hayworth's was that men slept with her because they were going to bed with the dream (Gilda - her most famous character) but woke up in the morning with the reality (her, in all her un-made up hair-all-over-the-place gory).

A bit like you with the RS6 - a fantasy dream, but the reality is a crashing return back to earth.

It's a dream/reality reference.

A famous quote of Rita Hayworth's was that men slept with her because they were going to bed with the dream (Gilda - her most famous character) but woke up in the morning with the reality (her, in all her un-made up hair-all-over-the-place gory).

A bit like you with the RS6 - a fantasy dream, but the reality is a crashing return back to earth.

I see!

Yeah it was exactly that.

But the same with the S4, I always fancied an Avant, and then when I got it I hated it, not just didn't like certain things but hated everything about it.

I had sold my M3 CSL and 535d Sport Touring and thought the S4 could do both jobs, obviously not as well, but at a far cheaper price. And the on the 2 hour drive home I knew I had made a terrible, terrible mistake.
I spent 5 weeks trying to sort certain things out on it, but couldn't do it and so sold it on and bought a 335i sport touring instead.

The real M5 for me was the E39. It had a 6 speed stick and sounded like hell on wheels. The E60 was an ugly piece of sh*t but sounded amazing and went like the clappers.

The new M5 is a twin-turbo V8, bags of fun i'm sure, the looks are a marked improvement over the predecessor (people who liked the E60 will not agree with me here) but it does lack that BMW originality (in its looks) that every other 5-series has managed to encapsulate, it stinks too much of elegance, and well, basically, Mercedes.

I'm sure its still a fantastic car though, but knowing mercedes, their engine will be more tuneable, reliable and faster in a straight line over the 4.4 TT V8.

Is there nothing anyone would like to suggest/ask regarding the next (or facelift) E63.

Back at the end of 2008 I bought a 3.2fsi A6 Quattro Avant from Peterborough Audi, it was up at £18,000 and we agreed £12750 and for the Dension 500 ipod adapter to be fitted and 4 new Pilot Sport 2 tyres to be fitted all round.
It was 2 years old with 30k miles on it, and booked at £22,000 at the time.

Cars were not selling.

A month later they called me asking if I would be interested in the Mugello Blue RS6 avant I had been drooling over when I had collected my A6.
Long story short they would do it for £38k and give me a £27k balloon after 3 years, with no deposit, them buying the A6 back off me at the price I had paid a month before, it worked out at just under £400 a month.

This was a year old car that cost £80,000.

I was obviously round there next day to take it out.
However, it was hugely disappointing. The ride was jittery and the whole thing just felt removed, don't get me wrong, no more removed than my A6, but this was an RS.
I suddenly thought back to my S4 and how I had always wanted one, and then how sick I felt when I was driving home in it and realising it was a terrible car in so many ways.
By the time we had got out of town the DIS was showing 9mpg and I already knew that this just wasn't a car I would enjoy but would be something that I would end up hating.
Took it for a blast and it was super quick, but it was an on/off quick and hardly exciting.

End of the test drive showed 13mpg, it was not comfy, and didn't make me want it at all.
I could have been in that car for £8 a month more than my 3.2fsi, but I still said 'No'.

I would take your E55 over the RS6 every day of the week.

Wow, you got a great deal on your A6:eek:,I've actually heard a few people say the new RS6 is dull but then I question how can a car with that much power leave so many people feeling so flat about it?, must be something in it then, oh well I guess a pulley change and remap are on the cards for the E55 and I will be holding onto it until the new bi turbo V8 AMG or M cars become affordable:(.

Is there nothing anyone would like to suggest/ask regarding the next (or facelift) E63.

I would question if the performance pack was worth the money?, tuners are going to be able to extract some serious power out of a bi turbo V8.

PPP on the new bi turbo engines is a just a different software map, all engine components are the same.

PPP on the 6.3 V8 on the C class has lighter bits (nicked from the SLS), and is not only more powerful, but also significantly more responsive.

The above relayed to me by my personal tour guide during my recent AMG factory visit.

Both PPP cost about the same. The C class version is the much better deal.

a pulley change and remap are on the cards for the E55

How much does that cost out of interest and what does that take it up to?

I've seen an E55 in someone's signature with 598BHP.

That must be stupidly fast.

What is the view on the current MCT gearbox - is this comparable to the BMW's DCT box. My understanding is that the DCT box is faster shifting and gives more predictable gear changes whilst the MCT box is smoother.

Is that accurate?

Speaking as an Essex boy the M5 is the ultimate Chav chariot!!!
Sorry if you like them!!!

the only thing i would have made amg change on the e63 is that it looks to subtle to the extent that it looks a lot like a normal e class sport model.
they should have made it a little more aggressive maybe slight power domes on the bonnet and a slightly lower stance.
i think the current 6.3na engine sounds better than the new 5.5 tt engine, probably the best sounding car i have driven.
i think if you want a discreet powerful saloon the e63 is amazing.
you should tell them at amg to make them all derestricted without charging £2350 for it.
whichever you go for i dont think you will be disappointed.

How much does that cost out of interest and what does that take it up to?

I've seen an E55 in someone's signature with 598BHP.

That must be stupidly fast.

A pulley and remap should get you around 540-560 BHP tops and cost I've been quoted £1500 up to about £2000+ and am thinking about doing it in the next few months so will let you know how I get on, 598 would need more work than just that and also be considerably more expensive but also it must be quite a car!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom