Thoughts on C300h (W205/S205)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob84

Car
C220d AMG Line Premium Plus (S205)
I'm looking to trade in my 64 plate C220 diesel AMG Line Premium Plus (S205) for something else, and one option that is tempting me is going for the same model but with the hybrid diesel C300h and lower trim.

Why? Well, I do love how the car moves, the tech it comes with and it just looks so cool. But I've found the ride on my 19" AMG rims too harsh and want a less sporty set up. Hit a pothole the other day at only 10mph which destroyed a 1 year old runflat and wasn't cheap to replace. On average I get 45mpg with the C220d which I feel could be a bit higher with a diesel hybrid.

I can't see any other car I would really want to go for at the moment, without spending a lot more. The new GLA/B/C's have caught my eye and would suit a growing family, but will have to wait a few years for them to filter down to the second hand market.

I can see a healthy C350e owners forum but not much mention of C300h here. The plugin variety doesn't suit me yet as I don't have many options for charging hence the C300h.

I just wonder if any C300h owners would share their latest thoughts, after owning for some time and if they would buy it again? Is the scarcity of a diesel hybrid a bad thing in terms of maintenance down the line and availability of spare parts/garages that could service it?

As I am sure others will chime in, the diesel part is not scary, it is the hybrid side of it.

There have been some horror stories going around, including this forum and the consensus is there is only a handful of Mercedes dealerships that are able to work on these systems.

A lot of the indies will not even touch them. It is a potential risk involved.

Another thing worth noting is that the hybrid is tied in with the gearbox. If the hybrid part stops working for whatever reason it locks up the whole car.

What would be the problem with swopping your 19 inch wheels for 18's ?

Have you tried driving your model on 18's ?

What would be the problem with swopping your 19 inch wheels for 18's ?

Have you tried driving your model on 18's ?
I don't think 18's will make a huge difference. I did test drive one with 18's a week before buying my current car but to be fair, not a lot I could gauge from a 15 minute test drive on unfamiliar roads and I was just too excited to get my first MB. (I didn't get that one in the end because the shop was dodgy and they didn't fix the engine light by the time I was ready to handover £19k cash, so walked away! That's a different story.)

Although more recently, the courtesy car (saloon) I had probably had 17's and felt much better.

I also thought going down from AMG Line to Sport might give me a slightly softer ride.

I have a 2017 C300 H AMG line estate.

The ride is quite good on the 19's and the wife says it's comfortable so that's ok.

My average mpg is 51 on motorways and 35 to 40 on my 7 mile commute through town depending on traffic.

If I use sport around the back lanes I get 40 to 42 mpg on an 8 mile run home as less stop start traffic.

This is my first hybrid and I do like it, but don't expect to get far on the battery only side and you do need to be very gentle on the throttle if you want drive a bit on just the battery.

i recognise that whole story.

While you're right about the Suspension set up giving a better ride, I'd still suggest finding a test drive on 17's or 18's because there IS a real difference, and it'll be essentially free to swop down.

Hard ride from big wheels is a universal complaint among BMW & Mercedes drivers..

A lot of BMW drivers have ditched the runflats because they were too harsh.

The side wall is a lot stiffer than normal tyres.

I have a 2017 C300 H AMG line estate.

The ride is quite good on the 19's and the wife says it's comfortable so that's ok.

My average mpg is 51 on motorways and 35 to 40 on my 7 mile commute through town depending on traffic.

If I use sport around the back lanes I get 40 to 42 mpg on an 8 mile run home as less stop start traffic.

This is my first hybrid and I do like it, but don't expect to get far on the battery only side and you do need to be very gentle on the throttle if you want drive a bit on just the battery.

Thanks. Yes, I heard the electric power is rather limited but one reason I think the C300h might suit me is my normal drive during rush hour (against the traffic so free flowing) is rarely do I use the throttle peddle once up to speed because there is usually something slower in front of me. The cost of a C300H with 80k was surprinsly affordable, not quite a free swap but maybe £1k cash required.

i recognise that whole story.

While you're right about the Suspension set up giving a better ride, I'd still suggest finding a test drive on 17's or 18's because there IS a real difference, and it'll be essentially free to swop down.

Hard ride from big wheels is a universal complaint among BMW & Mercedes drivers..
OK, fair points. I'll seriously check this out. I could sell my current set but they're diamond cut and unfortunately scuffed a couple of them :(.

I part exed a BMW F30 2013 320i xDrive for the hybrid and I must say I prefer the hybrid.
The torque figures are high at 500 Nm and it has 201bhp + 27 bhp from the electric motor giving 228 bhp in total.

19" rims and runflats are definitely vulnerable to pot holes, we've had similar problems with ours. Still not got around to changing them for 18" 5-spoke rims and of course 17" will fit (the standard winter rims are 17").

Overall ours has averaged about 43mpg since the last reset. On a long motorway run, for example when we came back from Gatwick a couple of weeks agor, we get about 50mpg.

I like the idea of diesel-hybrids, but frankly under the present 'climate' am reluctant to buy another diesel.

OK, fair points. I'll seriously check this out. I could sell my current set but they're diamond cut and unfortunately scuffed a couple of them :(.

What about putting some none runflat tyres on the same rims?
Goodyear Asymmetric 5 are excellent. Might be a cheaper option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom