Thoughts on car colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I owned a W123 coupe in that colour - it's much better in the flesh and really suits the era.

I'd like to buy one again - a saloon - the W123 is a "proper" Mercedes to me.

I owned a W123 coupe in that colour - it's much better in the flesh and really suits the era.

I'd like to buy one again - a saloon - the W123 is a "proper" Mercedes to me.

"Your Post is worthless......" 😁

:ttiuwp

My Dad had one, it was only a 280se but i have fond memory's Great reliable car never missed a beat.

Last time i recall ever seeing a w116 on the road was in the early 1980's. Never seen one since.

I love the brown, really suits the car and period. I think the colours available during that time were generally far better than now. Brown metallics really catch the light too.
I bought a brand new Vito sport this time last year and I opted for dolomite brown and absolutely love it. Will it cause a problem if and when I come to sell I’m not sure, but I don’t care about that to me it’s far better than any other current colour I’ve seen and I much prefer a little originality. It’s slightly darker than the brown on that W123.
Soni guess it would really depend on any potential future buyer. I doubt the colour would be a paramount factor in the decision to buy it.

Not having much joy from the seller sending me more pictures/close ups of the car :(

MOT history shows this as a failure last year......(and then passed a couple of days later :rolleyes:)

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner/outer chassis-inner wheel arch (5.3.6 (a) (i))FAIL

Any ideas what this could be?

I questioned him about this (he's a trader), and said he's not sure about it......

Not having much joy from the seller sending me more pictures/close ups of the car :(

MOT history shows this as a failure last year......(and then passed a couple of days later :rolleyes:)

Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner/outer chassis-inner wheel arch (5.3.6 (a) (i))FAIL

Any ideas what this could be?

I questioned him about this (he's a trader), and said he's not sure about it......

I can't remember if a W123 has a rear subframe or not. If so, sounds like it is where it attaches to the shell and if not, then the semi-swing arm mount. Or, it could be where the inner and outer wheel arch skins meet and either spring or damper loads are in the vicinity.

Corrosion at the rear of a W123 tends to appear at the three-quarter area and will mess up the boot hinge area and lower rear screen pillars.

I'd proceed with caution if I were you - there may be more 'brown' with this car than the paint.

Thanks for the input, yes, it is well priced, but i definitely don't want a rust bucket!

History on the car seems good apart from that one issue.....

Just a shame we're in lockdown, otherwise would have been to see it by now! :(

Thanks for the input, yes, it is well priced, but i definitely don't want a rust bucket!

History on the car seems good apart from that one issue.....

I rescued my W123 which had sporadic corrosion on the underside where the underseal had been broken. The underseal when broken traps water and creates a nasty piece of corrosion - but retrievable as it is quite localised with good steel around it to weld to.
When you get the more generalised corrosion in the un-undersealed parts (eg, rear window shelf area) it spreads quite quickly and is much harder to deal with. As it starts to appear externally, many will just fill the damage with cataloy but the rear shelf area sees spring loads from the boot mechanism and eventually the screen will leak. None of this makes for a good W123.

Just a shame we're in lockdown, otherwise would have been to see it by now! :(

No one else is either! You really need to see the car before committing - I looked at several before I bought mine and had to walk away from quite a few.

Reactions: 219
IMO brown not an issue on that type of car & it being of that era

Provenance history condition &/or cost effective improvement potential arguably more relevant.

Obviously the purchase maths is a relevant factor. Understand why you may not wish to share more info prior to any deal if car & price ok.

I suspect you experienced at buying older Mercs.....As with any classic...... Ideally cost of car plus any work desired/required won't significantly exceed what you might get back in event of a near future resale.

I would definitely want to see the car myself before buying & would ideally get someone along who knows these inside out. If checking it myself I would be taking my ramps, an inspection lamp, checklist, my trusty magnet wrapped in masking tape & ideally would have some idea of costs of any major bits. I am suspicious of traders who are vague in knowledge re what they try to sell.

An extended test drive would be on the cards too as many issues on cars don't present themselves until up to temp, (such as gearbox behavior, overheating or fluid leaks etc).

Oh &....Do be cheeky on the money...don't show excitement & make it clear you are happy to wait for the right car & deal.....I doubt many traders making high useable classic sales right now.

I hope none of above comes across as condescending....new to posting on here so don't know you or your experience with buying used cars. If you chose to dismiss my advice then bottom line is brown is ok if money ok for what it is,

Last edited:
I bought an SL towards the end of last year, and am looking into adding something else into the collection.....

I like the 123, and have seen a brown one for sale....

I never used to like the colour, but i quite like it now, and think it goes nice with the era of the car....

What are people's thoughts on this colour? Is it likely to cause issues if i were to sell in the future?

This is the colour in question......:dk:

View attachment 96098
Milan Brown ?

Very tasteful .

For a colour of the era , look for a Maple Yellow one .

Well-polished, with that beige interior it looks pretty good, and very 'period'. OTOH, this

is in Bornite too, and whatever its driving characteristics, it just looks plain and dowdy and dull.
The W123 in the brochure pic at the top of this thread is not Bornite , I don’t think it was available then ; I’m fairly sure it is Milan Brown .

Yes, I think the best thing would be if you

No offence taken :D , it actually looks a lot better in the flesh with the sun on it but it is one of those colours, you either get it or you don't!

Good luck with the W123 👍
I prefer nice colours to shades of grey .

My Dad had one, it was only a 280se but i have fond memory's Great reliable car never missed a beat.
I had a W116 280SE , not Nautic Blue but a very similar dark blue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom