Thoughts on diffuser revamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
My diffuser on the 63 seems have a textured paint on top of the oem plastic or whatever its made of. A while back i was jet washing it and noticed a small grey area the size of a 1p so of cause i hit it with the jet wash and it then ended up the size of a tennis ball lol.

I have been looking out for a carbon one ever since but i refuse to pay £400+ for one and dont wanna risk the fit of a china special.

I did think of having it carbon dipped but i would imagine by the time the prep work is done your looking at around £250. I was quoted £150 by a company local around a year ago but ive looked and theyre no longer trading.

I took the diffuser off today and was suprised how small it is when off the car. Im now thinking maybe to have it sprayed in a nice gloss black. At the same time maybe have the front number plate carrier done wich is now looking a bit sun bleached.

Wot do you guys think? I know some of the carbon dipping looks great nowadays but it has been done to death.

I’d wondered about going gloss black as the textured finish seams at odds with the gloss black front lip and gloss of the pan roof. Has anyone stripped theirs and gone gloss black?

I’d wondered about going gloss black as the textured finish seams at odds with the gloss black front lip and gloss of the pan roof. Has anyone stripped theirs and gone gloss black?
ive just came in from the garage after stripping mine. I guessed whatever I decide to do it’s gonna have to be smooth.

I’d be interested to know how you stripped yours and how big a job it was? Whatever you decide please post some pics, I’ve seen a few gloss carbon replacements but not a gloss black one. Good luck with whatever you go with. :)

ive been in touch with a company about having it carbon dipped. Just waiting on a price from them.

The crackle paint is pretty easy to get off. 30mins with some wet n dry sorted mine no problem. I was considering making it a big fin diffuser. Trying to source some material to do it but having trouble finding the right stuff.

That looks great. How much did that cost if you don't mind? Also wondering if this can be done to the interior trim?

ive been in touch with a company about having it carbon dipped. Just waiting on a price from them.

The crackle paint is pretty easy to get off. 30mins with some wet n dry sorted mine no problem. I was considering making it a big fin diffuser. Trying to source some material to do it but having trouble finding the right stuff.

Can you keep us posted on price Diffuser looks really good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you been talking to the guys in Witney that Robdata used?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sort of update on this. I’ve found a place local that have gave me a rough cost of £120 to carbon dip my diffuser. I’m still not 100% if I want to go the carbon dip route or just go a nice gloss black to be a little different. I would then at the same time get the front number plate carrier done the same.

I was at a loose end over the weekend so I actually made my oem diffuser into a big fin one. It’s not drastic as to look ott just a little tweak. When it’s either dipped or sprayed it will look pretty good.

Sort of update on this. I’ve found a place local that have gave me a rough cost of £120 to carbon dip my diffuser. I’m still not 100% if I want to go the carbon dip route or just go a nice gloss black to be a little different. I would then at the same time get the front number plate carrier done the same.

I was at a loose end over the weekend so I actually made my oem diffuser into a big fin one. It’s not drastic as to look ott just a little tweak. When it’s either dipped or sprayed it will look pretty good.

I’m biased but I’d say go gloss black, I’m thinking of doing the same :)

I was quoted about £180 to carbon wrap a rear diffuser, for what it's worth. I don't think poly-dipping is that prevalent any more? Mostly wraps by the looks of things

Ok so this is what I decided on in the end.

I like the look of the big fin rear diffusers you can get for the c63 but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go the carbon route and also the particular style I liked was circa £500.

So being a builder I had some stuff kicking around and was bored one weekend, so I set about making my own lol.

First I made some templates out of cardboard.
92168A66-8C7F-47D3-B1A2-2617C42B933F.jpeg

I then found some facia board I had kicking around so I cut 3 bits using the cardboard templates.

7DBE14D7-6A86-417C-99E2-9ED724B19AFA.jpeg

I then bonded then on with tiger seal and screwed them from the back.

31CBF689-2E5E-4A04-BCF3-056BF4848BF0.jpeg

All sprayed gloss black.

3871B107-4304-4E7A-A079-EA9501296E34.jpeg

28991C64-DE33-4084-A455-70B8058445CF.jpeg

All for under £30 !!

Looks better than the ones one the market TBH, the fins are usually too extreme.

Nice job. I’d have a go at this, could you recommend any facia board that would be best suited I.e how thick?

Looks better than the ones one the market TBH, the fins are usually too extreme.

Nice job. I’d have a go at this, could you recommend any facia board that would be best suited I.e how thick?
Hi mate. It’s the 15mm thick stuff. To be honest I used it because I had it kicking around. It’s light as a feather but strong and it can be sanded and shaped so it was ideal for what I wanted to do with it. Only minor problem I found was the ends of it was a bit porous so they needed to be filled and sanded before the first coat of plastic primer went on. I did plan on having it carbon dipped by a firm local to me but they messed me about so much I didn’t even want to give them the trade in the end so just thought I’d go gloss black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom