Thoughts on the E Class coupe...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
Iv had my pre facelift E350 Cdi Sport coupe since June 2017. I bought it from a main dealer as an approved used car. It's a very clean car as you can imagine in metallic white paintwork with the black panoramic roof. It's got all the bells and whistles and performance is pretty decent as well especially when the car is upto temperature.

However, after 7 months of ownership I'm quite disappointed with it. It leaves me feeling a bit cold and it doesn't have that 'special' feel to it that puts a smile on your face. I actually think I preferred my previous CLK 320 CDi Sport. It was much more comfortable and performance was pretty much the same.

Also I'm still not totally convinced by the looks of it. I think the saloon looks smarter as does the convertible. My previous CLK and the C55 before that had more comments than I get with the E Class.

Mines the pre facelift model on a 61 plate. Do any other E Class coupe owners think the same? I'm looking to sell but I'll lose too much money on it I feel so looks like I'm stuck with it for at least another year...

We really like our convertible. It’s nice and relaxing to drive, great shove when required and has got a fair few nice comments and we’ve only had it a few weeks. Tbe steering could do with more feel and aurally it lacks a bit of drama but aside from that it’s a great car.
Looking at the Coupe subjectively it’s only real rivals are the A5 and the 3 series Coupe - the A5 is nice inside but a bit overstyled outside. The bmw 3 is nice but the 2011 model looks way out of date in my eyes.
Why don’t you get it remapped as that might help you love it a little more?

I agree on the steering, it's pretty vague and doesn't give much feel. Noise wise it doesn't have the grunt that my CLK 320 CDi had. Performance is enough for what it is and I don't think remapping it would make me love it anymore....

Looks wise it's very tame and the 18 inch wheels look a bit lost

Looking at the Coupe subjectively it’s only real rivals are the A5 and the 3 series Coupe - the A5 is nice inside but a bit overstyled outside. The bmw 3 is nice but the 2011 model looks way out of date in my eyes.

I thought same about the E Class Coupe and the A5 Coupe - so bought the Sportback. Funny old world. :)

I thought same about the E Class Coupe and the A5 Coupe - so bought the Sportback. Funny old world. :)

The sport back looks more resolved and as a result has more class IMO. Mind you it suits the larger wheels only - our neighbours one has 17’s which are probably super comfortable ride wise but look a little lost in the arches.

PICT0669.JPG View attachment 74043 PICT0595aab.jpg View attachment 74041 My first was a 2013 facelift with Pano roof and 19's in Silver , I liked it so much that I bought a new 2016 Edition in White with Pano roof and 19's .
Both E220 and I'm happy enough with the 170 BHP , as said before I had a CLS 350 on loan for a week - fantastic engine and plenty of grunt - but definitely a license loser around where I live. Looks wise there's nothing tempts me to change and the feelgood factor is off the scale every time I gat behind the wheel. If I had a pound for every compliment I've had about the car I'd buy another one - wouldn't really as I'm not very keen on the 2017 model.

Last edited:
Do any other E Class coupe owners think the same? I'm looking to sell but I'll lose too much money on it I feel so looks like I'm stuck with it for at least another year...

The C207 is without doubt a nice car but it's been in production now for approaching 9 years. The facelift in 2014 has, in my opinion at least given it a new lease of life. I've felt like the OP about other cars and I don't recall feeling better about them as time went on.

I've had my facelift C207 for over two years now and haven't tired of it, which is pretty unusual for me. Mind you, I use it rarely which helps keep the interest alive. Would exchanging your car for a facelift help? Of course you will still lose money but maybe less so for another C07 E Coupe.

untitled.png

As a CLK owner I’ve often toyed with upgrading to an E cabriolet. But per the OP the E does nothing for me. I actually think my (fairly worthless) CLK is a much more special car.

Certainly a modern classic looks wise where as the E is just a bit utilitarian. IMHO of course! Others will disagree!

Had my C207 from new in 2012. Unusually I have no desire to change it as it seems to tick all the boxes. Economical, all the toys, good steering and controls. Build quality seems fine with no rattles after 6 years and 55000 miles. True average mpg since new is just over 49mpg. Gets admiring glances constantly as it really is a great design.

Last year me & my partner bought a 2014 E250 saloon, she actually wanted the coupe but I wasn’t keen on its looks compared to the saloon. The coupe didn’t give me as much of a wow factor that the saloon did, I get bored quite easy especially when I get used to the power but I’m still fairly happy with the E.

Only thing I would say I’m disappointed in is the MPG, on motorways it’s excellent but round the doors it’s crap.

The CLK is (not was) one of the best looking MBs, especially in sport trim.

I changed to the coupe as it's more capable and more modern (and faster to be frank)

I know my BIL is not convinced by its looks, but then he drives BMW,s.....

Had mine almost a year now and still really pleased with it.

Feels like a step up from the two w204’s I had previously (both Great cars)

Nearly 100bhp down on my c350 but with the miles and journeys I do these days I don’t miss it.

I went from a 59 plate 350 coupe to an Audi A5 Sportback and I did really like it. To an earlier point, my Merc had 18" wheels (as does my current one), the Audi had either 20" or 21" which did look so much better. The ride was firm/rock hard/back breaking depending on which setting I selected. Then moved to a 997 C4S and am now back in a A207, which I quite like...

The CLK is (not was) one of the best looking MBs, especially in sport trim.

I changed to the coupe as it's more capable and more modern (and faster to be frank)

I know my BIL is not convinced by its looks, but then he drives BMW,s.....
I’ve had 2 CLK’s, GS 450h, XF, E Coupe, CLS and C Class. Every time I see a CLK I think it still looks the best - time has not aged it ! How Mercedes could have gone from the CLK design to the C Class Coupe was beyond me and hence I changed to Lexus.

How Mercedes could have gone from the CLK design to the C Class Coupe was beyond me and hence I changed to Lexus.

Originally the CLK was the replacement for the old E Class Coupe, then the CLK was replaced itself by the new E Class Coupe. It was never intended to have anything in common with the C class other than using the same platform. All the interior design and styling were similiar to the E class. The reason for getting rid of the CLK name was because too many buyers thought of it as an overpriced C Class instead of a member of the E Class family.

Russ

Iv had my pre facelift E350 Cdi Sport coupe since June 2017. I bought it from a main dealer as an approved used car. It's a very clean car as you can imagine in metallic white paintwork with the black panoramic roof. It's got all the bells and whistles and performance is pretty decent as well especially when the car is upto temperature.

However, after 7 months of ownership I'm quite disappointed with it. It leaves me feeling a bit cold and it doesn't have that 'special' feel to it that puts a smile on your face. I actually think I preferred my previous CLK 320 CDi Sport. It was much more comfortable and performance was pretty much the same.

Also I'm still not totally convinced by the looks of it. I think the saloon looks smarter as does the convertible. My previous CLK and the C55 before that had more comments than I get with the E Class.

Mines the pre facelift model on a 61 plate. Do any other E Class coupe owners think the same? I'm looking to sell but I'll lose too much money on it I feel so looks like I'm stuck with it for at least another year...

My mate had an E250 sport coupe in Silver. I thought it looked the dogs dangles. Not so keen on the gruff 4 cyl engine but it was lovely to sit in. With the V6 I bet it’s the business. I’d love one but will have to stick with my E350CDi estate with all the stuff I have to carry!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did consider paying a bit extra for the facelift model but with the funds I could only manage maybe an E250 CDi as the E350 was quite a bit more and I didn't want a 4 cylinder diesel in all honesty. However, I'm not so keen on the front end of the facelift, I think the pre facelift looks a bit sharper with its angular lines. But I think the rear of the facelift model looks better.

Looking at prices of these cars, they seem to be all over the place at the minute. I paid £14700 in June 2017 but realistically I think if I was to sell privately now it would be more like £12500 tops and I don't really want to lose over £2k in 7 months of ownership....

I did a direct comparison between the E Coupe and a CLS, and found that getting into the back seats was too much of a pain. If you'll only carry back seat passengers on the rare occasion then two doors is fine, but I found that it was impractical for me.

I very nearly bought a 350 CLS, but when I saw the 350 Coupe in the flesh I was won over, ours has Espresso Brown / Sahara Silk bi-coloured leather interior which when matched to the Palladium paint imo is absolutely stunning.
I have owned a lot of nice cars and I get more positive comments on this - people approaching me in the street etc. than I have ever had with my Porsche / BMW etc.
Yes getting in / out of the rear obviously isn't as easy as with 4 doors, but rear seat passengers are a rarity for us nowadays. So form over function won for me on that matter.
It's an effortless all day cruiser with a fair turn of speed when wanted, and decent MPG too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom